ATH M50 Amping
Dec 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

childish

New Head-Fier
I have read dozens of threads trying to get an answer on this, so I apologize if this is harping. 

I've got some M50s on their way to me and will be heading to NYC in a week.  I am curious if I should get an amp to go along with it.  I listen to a wide selection of music (folk, classical, hip/hop, rock), and obviously haven't heard how my new headphones will sound without an amp, but thought I'd toss it out there.  I'd like to not be rushing to grab an amp on my way to the airport.

I'll be listening on an iPhone 4 running songs all of which are at least 256kbs, most 320.  If I do get an amp, I'll be picking up the Fiio L9 LOD to go with it.

My concerns are that I've read that the M50s don't really benefit from amping and that with iPhones in particular there is interference from the cell phone portions.

Sub-question: Is it true that it's worthless to get a DAC like the E7 for an iPhone, since you can't sidestep the onboard DAC?

Appreciate any help and apologies to all those who will be offended by my starting a new thread.  Looked and couldn't find a best fit for this type of question.

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 14
I have no idea about your sub question but if you go from the apple connecter to anything other than usb with the e7 than you are going to be using the iphones dac. Not really sure if it will ALSO do this even if you use USB or if usb even works with the iphone.

As far as amping goes, amping it up helps control the bass a bit and gives some better sound quality overall for me but it isn't a huge benefit. I got my amp for future purposes. I will say that I cannot get a great deal of volume from my M50 off of my phone but it is an HTC Inspire so who knows the difference you will get. I need max volume just to get to a nice serviceable level. It does not suck the life out of my battery though and I love that. Back to the amping part though, I think my amp also has been a great benefactor in helping me equalize the bass up and I definitely wouldn't of been able to do that without it. Not that the M50 is lacking in bass for 90% of the things I use it for but I can't get it to levels I want for EDM without hurting my ears normally(due to the other frequency ranges blaring).

So all and all, I do think the M50 benefits from amping, just don't go spending over $100 on one if you DO NOT plan on getting other headphones in the future. If you do, get a decent desktop amp, it will definitely benefit some. It just isn't worth it if you don't plan on using that amp for anything else ever. Just the way I think about it though.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks! My main concern was getting on the plane with new headphones and not being able to enjoy them...  I think I'll wait and get a feel for the m50s before I start tweaking.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 14
I use the M50 with a Fiio E7 and LOD from my iphone 4.  It does improve the sound.   The headphones can be driven fine without the amp, though, so it is not necessary to have the extra amplification, at least for my phone.   I do hear some additional fidelity with the amp, and it sounds more "controlled" if that means anything to you.

If I were you, I'd certainly get a feel for the headphones before spending an additional $100 or so on a portable amp that is not strictly required for those headphones.

I'm not sure if you are flying alone or with someone else, but one useful feature of an amp like the E7 is that it has two headphone outs so you can watch a movie with someone and drive two sets of good headphones without a problem.   So if you wanted to connect the E7 DAC/AMP to a laptop, and power two sets of M50s, you'd be pretty happy on your flight :)

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 14
I love the sound that the M50s produce, but when paired with an amp the bass becomes more controlled and the mids step forward a tad. I use my TF10s more than my m50s but I do love listening to them occasionally! As what dungeon said use the headphones see if you like them, some people don't like the m50s sound, some consider it to have very little bass. I can see why because it really doesn't (well atleast when I listen). Also if you think the bass is good unamped is changes completely when you amp it. It becomes more controlled (a tad bit less bass) but at the same time doesn't sound muddy. Hope I helped, If you have any more questions feel free to ask! :D I've had my m50s for about 8 months now so I am quite use to the

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 14
Also, since the newer version of the M50, a lot of people have been disappointed by the bass. The new one is more balanced out than the older version apparently.

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 14
ATH M50 is a good headphone without an amp, but as B-Dawk20 said, if you use an amp, it can save your battery life on the player. I personally love the E-11 (about $60) with my mp3 player. It rubberbands to it and just balances out the good stuff, takes away the harshness. The reason I prefer the E11, it has an EQ 0, 1, 2 and solid volume control so you can get it just the way you want it!

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
ATH M50 is a good headphone without an amp, but as B-Dawk20 said, if you use an amp, it can save your battery life on the player. I personally love the E-11 (about $60) with my mp3 player. It rubberbands to it and just balances out the good stuff, takes away the harshness. The reason I prefer the E11, it has an EQ 0, 1, 2 and solid volume control so you can get it just the way you want it!

I was talking about battery life in general
darthsmile.gif
, I only have a desktop amp.

@Stotchastic I'm not sure if its confirmed like AT came right out and said it but everyone who I've seen talk about who has heard both the blue and white box ones peak about how different they are. Not like they're sooooooo different but apparently the older one was bassier and sonically inferior to the new one which has less bass and is tightened up everywhere else.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
I was talking about battery life in general
darthsmile.gif
, I only have a desktop amp.

@Stotchastic I'm not sure if its confirmed like AT came right out and said it but everyone who I've seen talk about who has heard both the blue and white box ones peak about how different they are. Not like they're sooooooo different but apparently the older one was bassier and sonically inferior to the new one which has less bass and is tightened up everywhere else.

Ah ok, good to know.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 14
The M50 is low-Z at nominal 38-0hm. I think that calls for a buffered amp.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for the great responses.  I'm excited about getting my new headphones and my OCD is kicking in...  I think I'll learn some patience until next week.

Haha, I was the same way waiting for my M50s I nervous that they might turn out to be bad :D but I loved them! :D just be patient 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back