ATH-M40X or ATH-M50X
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

TripBitShooter

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I am looking for a new pair of budget audiophile headphones. I have heard of the ATH-M50 and really like them but I am put off by the recessed mids. I also heard that the ATH-M40 is really flat in frequency response, which I really enjoy. I heard a video review of the M20x, M30x, M40x and M50x by SonicSenseProAudio on Youtube and thought the sound test showed the recessed mids and slightly emphasised bass of the M50x, which I really do not like, compared to the neutral sound of the ATH-M40x. So, pls give me your recommendations!

P.S. Pls recommend to me a pair of headphones around SGD 229 (singapore currency) if there are any other better, flatter frequency response pairs as this is the M50x's starting price. Thank You!

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 24
Look for Brainwavz HM5, Fisher FA-003, NVX XPT100, or their equivalents (there are others). These are neutral sounding headphones, and the cups and drivers are all made by the same manufacturer and then rebranded. You can learn more about them (and the other brands you might look for) in these two threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585281/review-brainwavz-hm5-a-new-neutral-champ

BTW: Listening to YouTube videos is a horrible way to evaluate speakers/headphones since (a) it is always colored by the speakers/headphones you use to listen to the video and (b) the recording process might not be providing an accurate reproduction (or at least not how they would sound on your head).

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 24
OK thks for the recommendations!

Point is, ProSenseAudio places the headphones on a dummy head and uses professional studio equipment to record it. Moreover, I used my Yamaha PRO 400 to listen to them. And I did hear the emaphasised bass and recessed mids of the M50, and I also heard the flatness of the M40, and the bass was really too much for some people like me as stated by other reviewers as we like flate sound.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 24
So it generally fits in with what most people who properly review the M50x and M50 are saying. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 24
Bottom line is, I want studio monitoring quality/true audiophile budget headphones.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 24
OK thks for the recommendations!

Point is, ProSenseAudio places the headphones on a dummy head and uses professional studio equipment to record it. Moreover, I used my Yamaha PRO 400 to listen to them. And I did hear the emaphasised bass and recessed mids of the M50, and I also heard the flatness of the M40, and the bass was really too much for some people like me as stated by other reviewers as we like flate sound.

I have no doubt you believe it, but it's still a flawed idea to evaluate speakers or headphones that way. It's been commonly discussed on this forum how measuring headphone frequency response--even with the pro audio equipment--does not necessarily result in an accurate portrayal of how the headphones sound on one's head. For example, this is why Golden Ears started providing perceived response frequency plots for his measurements: http://en.goldenears.net/GR_Headphones/13934.

And then you filtered the sound through your headphones. So what you heard from the video vs. what you would actually hear could easily be two different things.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 24
True... It would be good if I could have a listen. Will be better if u could recommend me cans that are from established brands like V-moda or sennheiser that I can find easily in local Singapore stores.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 24
I think the V-moda crossfade M80 are a still bit too bassy for me.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 24
True... It would be good if I could have a listen. Will be better if u could recommend me cans that are from established brands like V-moda or sennheiser that I can find easily in local Singapore stores.

I recommended the headphones that I thought were the best fit for what you described in your original post. If I had thought of something else, I would have recommended them. LOL

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 24
Lol thks anyways. Another criteria I would like to add are that they be closed back but have as wide a soundstage as possible an are also foldable for portability. Must at least fold flat. I have been looking at the PX 360 for a while but been a little put off by the cheap, thin non-detachable cable which is trumped by the M50x's 3 cables and the M40x's 2 cables.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 24
These cans will be used outdoors so i need close backs and foldability. I dont need the 6.35mm coiled cable provided by the M50x as i have my own adapter, so the M40x cables which do not have a 6.35mm plug option is fine with me.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 24
Yeah, someone said it was due to the angled drivers. Since the M40 have straight drivers, they have a wider soundstage.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #14 of 24
What do u think of the sennheiser PX 360?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back