ATH-L3000, no love for this headphone?
Oct 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #16 of 68
Agree with all the others who sold them. I had mine for a couple of years and while I enjoyed them I didn't think they were worth the amount of money they were selling for. I prefer the CD3000 for a closed dynamic headphone.

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #17 of 68
Interesting that these have fallen out of favor, I remember a time maybe 5 years ago when they were very sought after. I like mine quite a bit although I'm the first to admit they are obscenely overpriced.

This old review by our very own MarkL sums up very nicely my thoughts on the L3000:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=83868

It's like he ripped my opinion right out of my head.

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #19 of 68
Not fallen from my favor at all.. The L3000 is my primary Dynamic can. 

As we all know, you put any given headphone on any given head, and it is going to be a little lacking in this, and a little bit too much of that... (L3000, K1000, O2, JH16, HD800,... etc).. nothing has gotten it right for everyone...

I think that there is a lot of talk about them when there is a handful of people wanting to sell them. That leads to a lot of questions from those that have not heard them and a lot of talk about how good they are.. and they are good. Are the perfect? far from it. But with my rig and my ears I have not heard much better. 

Team L3000.. 

Cheers,
Mikey

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 68

Quote:
Not fallen from my favor at all.. The L3000 is my primary Dynamic can. 

As we all know, you put any given headphone on any given head, and it is going to be a little lacking in this, and a little bit too much of that... (L3000, K1000, O2, JH16, HD800,... etc).. nothing has gotten it right for everyone...

I think that there is a lot of talk about them when there is a handful of people wanting to sell them. That leads to a lot of questions from those that have not heard them and a lot of talk about how good they are.. and they are good. Are the perfect? far from it. But with my rig and my ears I have not heard much better. 

Team L3000.. 

Cheers,
Mikey

Although I prefer the R10, Qualia, and HD800 to L3000.  I still really enjoy my pair from time to time.  The L3000 is not the last word in refinement but they are energetic and a lot of fun.  I found the bass to be quite impressive with excellent depth.  The quantity of bass note maybe a bit much to some, certainly excessive when compared to the above headphones.  However, I still take the L3000 any day over the JVC DX1000 as they sound much more refined and more coherent in my system.  I found the JVC to suffer from mid-bass hump so they never grown on me.   

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #22 of 68
I still love my L3000s. Had the L3000/DHA3000 combo for about 3 years now. I listen to mostly alternative rock and they seem to do everything right for my taste. I keep expecting to find a headphone I like more when I attend Seattle's quarterly meets. I finally got to hear the PS1000 and it didn't compare for me. Mids were still too sucked out, like the GS1000. I really enjoy the LCD-2 but it's not as dynamic as the L3000. The only headphone that I thought was right up there was the Grado PS-1, which I sold to buy these.

The HD800 are growing on me each time I hear them but still too technical. That's the same way I feel about the T1. The LCD-2 is the only one of the latest headphones that I was able to just enjoy the music. That's how I feel about the L3000. I just enjoy them and if they are lacking in something or too colored, I'm not hearing it. The first headphone I really liked was the Grado RS-1, so that should give you an idea of my taste.

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #24 of 68

Quote:
I still love my L3000s. Had the L3000/DHA3000 combo for about 3 years now. I listen to mostly alternative rock and they seem to do everything right for my taste. I keep expecting to find a headphone I like more when I attend Seattle's quarterly meets. I finally got to hear the PS1000 and it didn't compare for me. Mids were still too sucked out, like the GS1000. I really enjoy the LCD-2 but it's not as dynamic as the L3000. The only headphone that I thought was right up there was the Grado PS-1, which I sold to buy these.

So which do you prefer? The ps-1s or L3000?

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #25 of 68

Quote:

So which do you prefer? The ps-1s or L3000?

I didn't own both at the same time, so I couldn't do a direct comparison but the L3000 arrived within 2 weeks after I sold the PS-1.

For build quality, the L3000 is hands down the winner.  The PS-1 was pretty much the same cable and headband on the RS-1.  I think it might have been a little more padding on top.  Didn't feel like a $1400 headphone.  The L3000 has a nice cable and beautiful leather cups and headband.  Also has leather earpads which makes them more comfortable.

For sound, it's very close and more of a preference.  The PS-1 has a more impressive sound on first listen because it hits harder.  It's very dynamic.  The issue is it can make songs sound similar.  On softer songs, it can be too punchy.  And the bass is more difficult to tame.  On some systems, the bass is a little too strong.  The rest of the sound is amazing.  Very technical while staying fun.

The L3000 has a little bit thicker sound but with the DHA3000, it brightens up a little bit.  The bass seems to go deeper and has more texture than the PS-1.  The mids are probably close but not as liquidy or airy.  They do have the Grado type sound in the mids and handle electric guitar great.  I guess it's that twangy sound a lot of headphones gloss over.  I'm sure the PS-1 is brighter but I don't have any problems with the L3000.  For overall sound, I think the L3000 is more balance and has better soundstage with precise positions within a small area.  The PS-1 had the best soundstage of the Grados before the GS1000 and PS1000 came along, but I don't care for them since they are too distance for my taste.  But as far as sounding different for each type of song, the L3000 can sound relaxed when it needs to or thunderous when a song calls for it.  It's probably slightly colored because everything is still is fun and enjoyable, which I think it a good thing.  I also can listen to the L3000 for longer periods than the PS-1.  Not sure if it was comfort or sound but after a couple hours, I'd have to take a break from the PS-1.

Now if I ever get a chance to hear these side by side, my opinions may change.  I probably guess the PS-1 would win a quick side by side but it's extended listening that really counts.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #26 of 68

Quote:
I didn't own both at the same time, so I couldn't do a direct comparison but the L3000 arrived within 2 weeks after I sold the PS-1.

For build quality, the L3000 is hands down the winner.  The PS-1 was pretty much the same cable and headband on the RS-1.  I think it might have been a little more padding on top.  Didn't feel like a $1400 headphone.  The L3000 has a nice cable and beautiful leather cups and headband.  Also has leather earpads which makes them more comfortable.

For sound, it's very close and more of a preference.  The PS-1 has a more impressive sound on first listen because it hits harder.  It's very dynamic.  The issue is it can make songs sound similar.  On softer songs, it can be too punchy.  And the bass is more difficult to tame.  On some systems, the bass is a little too strong.  The rest of the sound is amazing.  Very technical while staying fun.

The L3000 has a little bit thicker sound but with the DHA3000, it brightens up a little bit.  The bass seems to go deeper and has more texture than the PS-1.  The mids are probably close but not as liquidy or airy.  They do have the Grado type sound in the mids and handle electric guitar great.  I guess it's that twangy sound a lot of headphones gloss over.  I'm sure the PS-1 is brighter but I don't have any problems with the L3000.  For overall sound, I think the L3000 is more balance and has better soundstage with precise positions within a small area.  The PS-1 had the best soundstage of the Grados before the GS1000 and PS1000 came along, but I don't care for them since they are too distance for my taste.  But as far as sounding different for each type of song, the L3000 can sound relaxed when it needs to or thunderous when a song calls for it.  It's probably slightly colored because everything is still is fun and enjoyable, which I think it a good thing.  I also can listen to the L3000 for longer periods than the PS-1.  Not sure if it was comfort or sound but after a couple hours, I'd have to take a break from the PS-1.

Now if I ever get a chance to hear these side by side, my opinions may change.  I probably guess the PS-1 would win a quick side by side but it's extended listening that really counts.

You summed up the PS-1 and L3000 quite well.  In fact, it mirrored my opinion when I compared them side by side.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #27 of 68
i'd love to hear the l3k thru the dha 3000. i've heard them thru a # of fine amps (eg. zana deux, beta22, etc) and they've always just sounded off to me. while i've enjoyed numerous ATs, they're almost always rather colored cans - far from neutral. they can be a ton of fun, but the premium ATs that i've heard and/or owned seemed less so. the ps-1s on the other hand can put a real big smile on my face. they're more real sounding as well as being fun. and their tone seems more correct, something the ATs just can't seem to get right. that can be a deal breaker....

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #28 of 68
I am owner of l3000 and ps1 , I must to say that I prefer l3000, they have a funny sound but a little less energetic than ps1, maybe not perfect but for now are my favorite headphones , I use the amp wa6se maxxed.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #29 of 68
Own this beauty for a while, used to tried it with few good amps like TTVJ Millett 307A, RSA Apache, Rudistor RP010B, Woo Audio WA22 and of course theirs very own combo DHA3000. 
IMO L3000 are made to pairs with DHA3000, the cans sound ok with other amps but with their combo the cans really showed me what they've got. L3000 is one of my favorite dynamic cans I had listened.

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #30 of 68
it sounds like it may take the dha3000 to make this can come alive. and they must be even scarcer than leatherheads. i've yet to see or hear one of these combos, though i've seen and heard l3ks a # of times - and come away disappointed. i strongly encourage whoever has this pairing to bring it to the next canjam! 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back