ATH-L3000, no love for this headphone?
Nov 30, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #46 of 68
Quote:
I heard the W2002 is extremely picky and only sounds good through the HA2002. Either way, having tried most of the highly regarded headphones available currently I still think Audio Technica woodies are the most musical headphones for vocals available. However, I do not like the current Audio Technica offerings, aka W1000X and W5000. I am still searching, buying, selling, trying my way to find the headphones I'd love to keep. Trying to pull up some Audio Technica rarities is incredibly difficult and requires a lot of effort.

Quote:
I love my L3000s and would never sell them.  They're basically the only headphone I listen to anymore.  Except for a very few I keep for collector's sake I've sold all my other headphones off.  The only headphones I'd even consider buying are R10s or LCD2s.
I've heard all the best dynamic phones: HD800s, K1000, T1, every high-end Grado, Ed 8/9, DX1000, D7000.  For my money the L3000s beat them all.  I've also heard the other various AT woodies mentioned here that some people think beat the L3000.  The W2002, the F5005, the W1000x.  I've had them all and sold them; keeping the L3000s instead.  The w2002 are a joke sound-wise in my opinion.  The F5005 and W1000x certainly sound good for their respective prices but can't hold a candle to my L3000s.

iirc, i heard the 2002s at canjam florida and i think it was thru a yamamoto amp. it was actually a pretty nice sounding rig (i think it may have been agile one's). i've heard the leatherheads a number of times thru a variety of amps some of which included a beta 22 and a zana deux. it's sounded consistent and wierdly colored to my ear. i'd still like to hear it with it's partner AT amp but i'm not terribly optimistic that it's all of a sudden going to win me over.

Quote:
i would like to hear the L3000 again because the BA is so perfect with low impedance headphones. there is a pair for sale on ebay but the price is about $1,000 too much.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200547474345&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

maybe everyone else will also think the price is off the wall and he'll have to come down if he wants to sell....
hell, even R10s don't fetch what they once did.

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #48 of 68
Just saw this post...
L3K is probably the best looking headphone I have ever seen, on my computer screen. These can be given out as gifts when you buy a Bentley.
The L3KG, on the other hand, I mean seriously What Audio-Technica. It looks like the L3K just ate something wrong and is about to go sick.
That said... congrats to all you owners out there.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #49 of 68
I kind of like the look of the green one but never seen it in person.  I think it's more the rarity of the green ones that I like.  If they produced the same amount of each and had a choice, think I would have definitely chosen the brown.  

Part of the reason I switched from the PS-1 to the L3000 is for the looks alone.  I only listened to them for about 10 minutes at a meet and didn't do a directly comparison with the PS-1, so I was hoping when I made the decision to get the L3000, I made the right decision.  They at least looked like they were worth as much money as I spent on them.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #50 of 68

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not quite sure who else own the L3000 + DHA3000 combo beside Nomad, iamoneagain, and I?

Purk, 
To my knowledge, three of Thai that have owned the L3000 + DHA3000 combo. They are living in Thailand you might know them though.

Nice.  I know that headphone listening is big in Thailand.  Do they still own the combo or moving along to something else better?  I hope I can hang on to mine for several years to come but the thought of selling the combo for the BHSE purchase is getting stronger.

Quote:
Just saw this post...
L3K is probably the best looking headphone I have ever seen, on my computer screen. These can be given out as gifts when you buy a Bentley.
The L3KG, on the other hand, I mean seriously What Audio-Technica. It looks like the L3K just ate something wrong and is about to go sick.
That said... congrats to all you owners out there.

No doubt.  It is the best looking headphone for sure and the craftmanship is outstanding.  The attention to detail and material choice is simply amazing.  

Quote:
I kind of like the look of the green one but never seen it in person.  I think it's more the rarity of the green ones that I like.  If they produced the same amount of each and had a choice, think I would have definitely chosen the brown.  

Part of the reason I switched from the PS-1 to the L3000 is for the looks alone.  I only listened to them for about 10 minutes at a meet and didn't do a directly comparison with the PS-1, so I was hoping when I made the decision to get the L3000, I made the right decision.  They at least looked like they were worth as much money as I spent on them.

I'm with you on the green L3000.  I once hold the PS-1 and L3000 side-by-side and wonder why Grado charges so much for their headphones given the build quality.  The PS-1 & L3000 are very similar in sound production with the PS-1 being slightly brighter and more upfront in invoicing.   The L3000 is slightly darker and more neutral in addition to nicer imaging and better control of bass notes. 

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #52 of 68
by a small meeting last saturday. No one talked about L3000 (except 2,3 people who own the L3000),because we are totally in love with the R10 bass heavy version.
personally I'm a bit surprised by the L3000,not because they are good,but IMHO they are really overprice.
I expected a big and a very good quaily bass,but I was disappointed. 
by the way there are many headphones out there,that superior to the L3000,but to my taste like many people L3000 look so gorgeous. My Vote for the best looking headphones

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #53 of 68

Quote:
Quote:
I owned these for a few months, wasnt the biggest fan.  They are surely the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen, but the midrange was all over the place, the midbass was too dominant, deep bass was lacking, and the detail was not impressive for the pricetag (in fact, the AD2k offered more detail)

Quote:
I owned them, but didn't like them. Small soundstage and compressed midrange were my main problems with these.

Agree with all of the above.  Bought them, had the same issues as Doug and Kees, sold them.  NOT a competitive upper-tier headphone, IMHO.  Easily outclassed by the Denon D7000, JVX DX1000, and even AT's own W1000X, just to name a few closed Japanese headphones that are better - let alone HD800, T1, LCD-2, Edition 8, which are light years better.

Well - I have 2 of them :) And to each his own I guess. For me the L3000 is easily better than the ATW1000X, HD800, LCD-2 and Edition 8. But then again I do also have the AT-HA3000 to go with the L3000, probably that the amp has something to do with it (along with the rest of the chain). The only ones in the same league for me untill now are the R10 and O2. Most defenitifly a upper tier headphone for me!

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #54 of 68
When go meets, I keep expecting to be swayed by other headphones out there but it hasn't happened yet.  I enjoy the K1000 every time but haven't really heard them with same music I listen to with the L3000.  The LCD-2 is really nice but I think the L3000 has better overall dynamics and soundstage positioning.  Tried an Orpheus with some harsh electric guitar and thought it smoothed it over.  When I tried the Sony Qualia, it seemed bright and I just didn't like it.  Could have been the fit or the system it was paired with.  Only heard the R10 with classical, so don't have a good opinion on whether I'd like it with rock.  The HD800 & T1 are too technical and not musical enough for me.  With some music and the right systems, I've heard them shine.  Only heard the Edition 8 briefly and liked it's fun sound but the L3000 seemed richer.  And as far as Stax, I've liked what I've heard, but need to hear more to really see what they can do.

So I don't have enough cash to get a whole another setup and I still really love my L3000/DHA3000 setup, so I think I'm set for awhile. Think if I ever moved on, it might be Stax just to have a completely different sound.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #55 of 68

daveDerek said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

i've never owned them but i've spent a bunch of time with them at various meets, including canjam, and have heard them in systems built around them. they've always disappointed me sonically, for many of the reasons other folks have already mentioned. these are (like many ATs) highly colored headphones, but to my ears not in as an enjoyable way as some of their more affordable offerings. i greatly preferred other high end cans such as r10s, hp2s, hd800s, ps-1s, and, like skylab, even dx1000s.

Edited by daveDerek - 10/3/10 at 11:57pm

There is a lot to be improved, It's not flexible enough, Just like what you said.

May 14, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #58 of 68
first thread bump in five years. is that some kind of a record?
wink.gif

Dunno - but I still enjoy my L3000's. The Stax-es might go up for sale, as well as the HD800, GS1000 and the K1000 (and maybe even a R10), but not those.

May 17, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #59 of 68
Hey....they are still the best looking headphones ever made! Same can be said about its craftsmanship.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #60 of 68
wow a thread bump in 5 years. Still If I have a lot of money I will surly buy the Green one. Purk comment about the craftsmanship and the look is really true. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back