ATH-L3000 #403
Aug 29, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
Nik seems to have forgotten about the he90 , he60, sony mdr-r10, sr-omega and omega II.

I do not know the He60 or He90. Respect to the Omega and R10 (I had them) I do not find the L3000 less detailed, they have a full and body sound, they do not are bright as the Qualia, but they are still very,very detailed IMO!

May be even the EarMax AE with cryo Telefunken is very detailed... I never heard the R10 pluged in this amp.

The Omega is a bit more transparent respect to the L3000, but not more detailed in my experience...

The details of the Qualia is too much and they lack in musical envolving and naturalness.

Best!
Nicola

Aug 29, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Nik seems to have forgotten about the he90 , he60, sony mdr-r10, sr-omega and omega II.

What about, dare I say, UE-10s as well? Way back when I dug IEMs, oh a month or so ago, these were the guys I aspired to own.

It's amazing to me the company the L3000s keep. When I first came to head-fi I got the impression that, $ per $, closed phones could not compete with open. Then months later I find about the R10s which must be some freak of nature. But I didn't see much info on the top AT phones (nor did I pay much attention to AT until recently) - looking at these I thought "wow, those are pretty, and rather expensive - they must be for show". When people expressed their love for AT woodies I thought they were being nice, you know, "all things considered...".

It's a nice feeling. I didn't completely break the bank, I got a closed phone (an absolute necessity), and they're rather pretty and unique looking to boot. Can't see ever moving on unless AT does one better or I decide to ditch headphones alltogether. But I'll be living across the street from a freakin baseball stadium in downtown San Diego in 4-5 more months, so no matter what speaker system I end up with I will probably find use for these.

Aug 29, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
Can't see ever moving on unless AT does one better

There is a good chance this will happen next year when the l3k's are sold out. This seems to be ath's trend.

Aug 29, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

...the R10 which must be some freak of nature.

It is a freak of nature
tongue.gif
The R10 and the L3000 show you that it is possible to have a high end closed headphone.

Nik,
The R10 works great with the Earmax A.E.

Aug 29, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

There is a good chance this will happen next year when the l3k's are sold out. This seems to be ath's trend.

Well, there was the w11r that wasn't meant to one-up its predecessor - IIRC the w11r was largely the same as the previous w11jpn without the lacquer. Also, though just cosmetic, I think they'll have to go back to just wood for the next limited edition headphone. Perhaps they'll just release a non-leather version of the l3000? Seems to me like they went all out with the l3000 (well, except for the packaging).

Aug 29, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
It is a freak of nature
tongue.gif
The R10 and the L3000 show you that it is possible to have a high end closed headphone.

Nik,
The R10 works great with the Earmax A.E.

Yes, I now can imagine how good could be a R10/EarMax AE combo.
But I do not remember in the R10 a bass slam and BIG bass as I can heard with the L3000. I cannot be sure because I do not have now a R10, but the combo I have in this moment (L3000/EarMax AE) is giving to me a greater impression respect to the time of R10, even with txo box amp as the Angstrom...
I remember very well the fantastic medrange of the R10, but in the L3000 I find fantastic even the bass and the highest frequences. I also love a lot the all-around soundstage that this can produce, I find this more envolving for me and my musical tastes.

Best!
Nicola

Aug 29, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Well, there was the w11r that wasn't meant to one-up its predecessor - IIRC the w11r was largely the same as the previous w11jpn without the lacquer. Also, though just cosmetic, I think they'll have to go back to just wood for the next limited edition headphone. Perhaps they'll just release a non-leather version of the l3000? Seems to me like they went all out with the l3000 (well, except for the packaging).

Sometimes audio technica seems to go down a noch (maybe to recover money?) and then up two. An example would be w2002 -> w1000 -> L3000

Aug 29, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Sometimes audio technica seems to go down a noch (maybe to recover money?) and then up two. An example would be w2002 -> w1000 -> L3000

I thought the successor to the W100 was the W1000, and then w2002 is l3000?

In any case it seems many on this board prefer the W100 to the 1000.

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #39 of 44
Guys,

I was thinking about picking up a Singlepower PPX3 (Slam) and maybe a used Bel Canto 2 or 1.2 to complement these cans.

Thoughts? I want to squarely hit that point where diminishing returns really take over. Like say 90% of what these things are capable of.

Regardless these continue to intoxicate with my oh so lowly setup as is...

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #40 of 44
Bob, your setup of the 0404 to the portaphile v2 actually lends itself to a nice forward agressive sound. Why not give the Grados a try? The leatherhead seems like it would be more at home with a 1212 and a tube amp or something.

The one time I tried a leatheread, well, I can't say that I liked it. With an M3 and my Solo it didnt have enough pep. But that may be because it needs something like a tube amp to make it shine.

Aug 30, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Bob, your setup of the 0404 to the portaphile v2 actually lends itself to a nice forward agressive sound. Why not give the Grados a try? The leatherhead seems like it would be more at home with a 1212 and a tube amp or something.

Why yes, I agree, that's why I'm inquiring about a Bel Canto/Singlepower setup for more adequately exploiting my leatherheads.

I'm sure an RS-1 or the like would be great, though I absolutely need closed cans. Both work (sea of cubes) and home (downtown loft) are noisy. I'm also not seeking a very forward sound, the components I have were selected mainly on $$/performance before I decided a week ago to dive head first into a drained pool. So to speak.

(pss... it's the second syllable, 'Beau'
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 30, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Why yes, I agree, that's why I'm inquiring about a Bel Canto/Singlepower setup for more adequately exploiting my leatherheads.

I'm sure an RS-1 or the like would be great, though I absolutely need closed cans. Both work (sea of cubes) and home (downtown loft) are noisy. I'm also not seeking a very forward sound, the components I have were selected mainly on $$/performance before I decided a week ago to dive head first into a drained pool. So to speak.

(pss... it's the second syllable, 'Beau'
biggrin.gif
)

Hey I'm a mind reader! Good luck in the search for the new neutral source/tubey amp to go with your leatherhead, Beau!

Aug 30, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud
Oh I don't know...it works pretty well with the solid state DHA3000.

not just pretty well... it's the best I've heard and I've tested it on a lot of amps.
biggrin.gif

the DHA3000 does seem to have a tube sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back