ATH-EW9 anyone?
Mar 3, 2007 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
Any experience? They sure look cool but I wonder if they hold up sound-wise xD
(lets ignore subject of isolation)
or can at least someone comment on ath-em7 or em9

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 9
for something 5x the price, how do they stack up against the ksc-75s?

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EW9 in short:
Slightly forward mids, brilliant highs and lean bass.
Overall SQ: far better than you would expect from clip-ons.

tempting to make it my new portable >.<

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tempting to make it my new portable >.<

I wouldn't. EW9 does have an interesting sound and positive characteristics. But on-the-go usability isn't one of them.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for something 5x the price, how do they stack up against the ksc-75s?

I never heard the KSC75. But I have the K81DJ and the EW9 are in a totally different league.

I agree with Jason: on-the-go they are of no practical use.

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never heard the KSC75. But I have the K81DJ and the EW9 are in a totally different league.

I agree with Jason: on-the-go they are of no practical use.

I was thinking more of transportable for use when at work. Surely they would outdo the V-Moda Vibe big time.

For that matter, can you guys compare their sound to another phone so we have a point of reference? Thanks.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 9
EW9s are built similar to a closed phone but of course being clip-on leak a lot. I use them at work and at my sound level they do not bother anyone in my cubical farm. They have very good clarity and detail. Bass is tight, very AT like, just not very strong. They look like they attach to my glasses. The asymmetric wire is a pain sometimes. I think they have more than looks that are a family resemblance to their big brothers, W1000 and W5000. They sound very good right out of my iPod Nano and Shuffle when I want to go light. The Axim does not sound quite as nice with the EW9s but are very convenient around the house. You can find them around sometimes for about 100$ which makes them from my perspective a good deal. I purchased a pair of Koss KCS75s for my daughter and did a comparison. The KCS75 are the one people suggest in this chip-on configuration but as for sound quality I will take the EW9s any day. For the price the KCS75s do sound better than the simple Apple Buds that come with the Nano and Shuffle.

P1010001.png

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 9
slwiser says all I want to say. The EW9 is the only non-IEM portable I will use, though not frequently. I do have a Senn PX100 and tried the Koss but the EW9 wins hands down. I am pretty sure with its wooden cups this is going to be a collectible.

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back