Ath-ESW9: not for a noisy office
Apr 28, 2009 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

YGingras

New Head-Fier
Hi, I work in a bull pen, the worst kind of cube farm setup that you can imagine if you need any concentration, that is, unless you know about headphones. I loved how my DT-770 help me survive that setup then I asked in here how I could upgrade them. I was recommended Ath-ESW10 JPN but as a cheap person I went for ESW9.

Well, ESW9 play great, I love the sound but I don't love then in the office. First, I wear glasses and supra aural headphones pinch the glasses frame between the head and the head. That really hurts after a few hours. Then there is the isolation that is really good for casual listening but not good enough for a bullpen. Oh my, it hurts to have great headphones that you can't use because you workplace sucks too much.

I have a pair of Nuforce NE-7M on the way but since I need to interact with coworkers form time to time, I tend to like prefer closed cans. Knowing that, can you guys help me find a nice alternative to my DT-770? I was recommended Denon D2000 but others commented that they leak a lot which can be a problem in a bull pen. I consider Ath-a900 since they isolate more than any other Audio Technica that I can find under 500$. Anything else?

I'll probably keep the Ath-ESW9 for urban wandering since they sound great and they look really sexy. Thanks a lot for all the insight that you guys provided so far. I really appreciate.

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 6
Try placing the temples of the eyeglasses above the earpad. That will improve isolation and comfort. Circumaural is still more comfortable for long term listening sessions.

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try placing the temples of the eyeglasses above the earpad. That will improve isolation and comfort. Circumaural is still more comfortable for long term listening sessions.

That is true and I tend to do that at home but it really looks silly and it has a non-negligible impact on vision. I'm definitely looking for a pair of circumaural for the office. The trick with the temple can work to get you some relief for one day but you don't want this to be your daily routine. Well, I guess it depends on the glasses; it doesn't work too well with my big plastic ones.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 6
If it makes you feel any better the ESW10 wouldn't have isolated any better.
You would also be afraid to take them outside too because of their lacquered goodness
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by aegid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it makes you feel any better the ESW10 wouldn't have isolated any better.
You would also be afraid to take them outside too because of their lacquered goodness
frown.gif

I own the ESW10's and feel the same. Interestingly, these are the only headphones I've used that don't smash the glasses to my head. You might be interested in the HFI 780.

Here are my impressions of the 780 compared to the ESW10's. You should be able to generalize to the ESW9's.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/esw...i-780s-420797/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back