ATH-ES7 vs. MDR-D66SL
Feb 21, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #16 of 30
See what I've done:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121178

and pics vs. UR40

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121178

Eggphones are similar to the Coby's and also very cheap. It's pretty easy to put in the KSC drivers, but I found you had to totally remove the back to get the same sound quality. If you don't mind open phones, I would actually recommend trying out the slightly larger and more expensive (than the KSC's + mod) Koss UR40's with my angled drivers mod (for comfort):

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146672

I have them and really think they are the best of the Koss 60 ohm lineup (sound pretty much like the rest, but have much better comfort, but I hate clip-ons/supraurals).

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain

Could you post of pic of the D66SL sitting next to the K601, to compare them size wise? If you could, that would be very helpful.

gshan, I assume you own the K601. Obviously they are not in the same league or meant for the same purpose, but how would you compare the sound signatures between the D66SL and the K601?

People say the D66SL is lean on bass, would you say more lean than the K601 (I find them somewhat lean on bass when compared to Grado's)?

I'm admittedly not very good at this, but I'll give it a shot.

-D66 is very efficient. It drives well without an amp. At default gains with Xin's Amp and pa2v2 it's a too loud for casual listening so I go unamped.
-D66 vocals are more upfront.
-D66 seems to have a little bit less bass, but it is actually tighter and hits harder. I guess a direct comparison actually leaves the K601 as seeming "flabby"
smily_headphones1.gif
. For a funner listen I guess I would go with the D66. Never thought I would say something like that, heh.
-Something about the D66's highs or mid-highs(?) is harsher after listening to a female vocal.

At the moment I don't feel I can make anymore conclusions without more extension listening time between the two, but I hope this helps!

-Shan

Some photos:
Side by side
Side by side 2
Earpads
Housing

add: IMO D66 isn't super far from K601 in terms of sound quality. It really is a great compromise in portability and SQ as echoed by many threads. I think I might consider selling them though because I find them harsh now, but I could just listen at lower volumes
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #19 of 30
gshan:
Thanks for posting the pics. This one actually makes them look small (like everyone says they are):
IMG_0833.JPG

It is interesting that you speak almost higher of the D66 than the K601, but are thinking of selling the D66. Seems like you like the bass of the D66, but overall they don't make you as happy as the K601 (speaking from a sound comparision, not factoring in specific purpose...as the K601 would be UNACCEPTABLE as a portable can).

Honestly from all this talk about the highs, I can't go with the D66's in faith. I am too sensative to harsh cans. I simply cannot listen to my HF-1's with bowls anymore, and I almost find the K601 harsh sometimes...at which point I have to lower the volume so much that the bass virtually disappears.

I am starting to think the Audio Technica might be more up my alley...but I might do the custom Egg-can thing for the fun of it.

xluben:
Ya I saw your threads earlier. I have been wanting to put my KSC-35's in some other housing for a while now, ever since I lost one of the ear clips. I think these Coby's would work well...if the driver fit that is. I was looking at some AT "iCool" cans on ebay, that were 'egg-like', but hideous like an iMac. I thought they looked comfy though.

Honestly I remember loving the comfort of those stupid Tri-ports. I wish I could buy a pair with dead drivers cheap. They would make a nice housing, and I could just drill a large hole in the back of them where the bose logo is, to make them open. Too bad even a dead pair would probably fetch $50 on ebay. I hate bose.

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain

It is interesting that you speak almost higher of the D66 than the K601, but are thinking of selling the D66. Seems like you like the bass of the D66, but overall they don't make you as happy as the K601 (speaking from a sound comparision, not factoring in specific purpose...as the K601 would be UNACCEPTABLE as a portable can).

Honestly from all this talk about the highs, I can't go with the D66's in faith. I am too sensative to harsh cans. I simply cannot listen to my HF-1's with bowls anymore, and I almost find the K601 harsh sometimes...at which point I have to lower the volume so much that the bass virtually disappears.

I think you would have a good chance of finding the eggos to be harsh in this case.

The overall refinement and sound quality of the K601 is better without question. I was hesitant to mention the vocals and other aspects sound more natural with such short testing, but I'm sure that they are. Perhaps bass is the only thing I like better about the D66 when comparing directly, but I'm perfectly fine with the K601's.

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #22 of 30
If I remember correctly I didn't really find the Eggo's to be harsh. I really hate harsh highs and was using the EX71's before I got the Eggo's. Needless to say the Eggo's were much less harsh than the EX71's. I thought they had very good, clear mids.

I think you could put the KSC drivers into pretty much anything that uses a 40mm driver with little or no modification.

I also really love the comfort of the Triports. They are the only things I've found that I thought were comparable (comfortwise for portable use) with the Eggo's. Just listening to the Triports in the store I actually kind of liked them. But then my roommate bought them and I listened to them with my gear compared to the HD555 (which he also bought) and my Super.fi's, I realized how bad the Triports actually sound. But they sure are comfy (and flimsy
biggrin.gif
). Too bad he returned both
rolleyes.gif
I think if I got a free pair of Triports I might actually use them around campus when I need a break from my Super.fi's (but I'd never pay retail for them).

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #23 of 30
I was pretty unsatisfied with the ES7 as a portable can, and that's not to say that they aren't decent headphones. It just did a few things wrong that got under my skin.

First: Comfort. Nice and solid build, but the headband sort of sticks out from your head on either side. I found my self adjusting it or pushing it back up on my head too often for my liking. A portable needs clamping, and I actually found that my MS2i hugged my head a little better than the ES7. Not too bad feeling on my ears though, when I was stationary.

Pulling them on or off is somewhat of a hassle. The cups rotate flat as a Grado would, but in the "wrong way." If you have them around your neck with cups rotated flat, the metal ends WILL rub against your shirt / coat / whatever you have on and scratch up real bad. I wish they rotated so the driver was facing inward, but no dice.

Sound: Really bloated midrange. I like midrange a lot, but this just shoved it in my face. The bass was also somewhat bloated. The high range was fairly innoffensive, never really shrill. Nothing special though. They actually share some sonic qualities with my MS2, interestingly. Of course, it's missing way too much to even go into detail with here, but a similar signature exists.

I DID think these were neat, specifically as a replacement for Triports to the fashion conscious. However, even unamped, I much prefer the sound of my DT770-80 directly from my 5G iPod.

These do keep the sound in pretty well though. Just not a lot of isolation. For my money, I'd rather have a Grado coming out of my portable.

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I found my self adjusting it or pushing it back up on my head too often for my liking. A portable needs clamping, and I actually found that my MS2i hugged my head a little better than the ES7.

Yeah, actually the ES7 had a far stronger clamping force when I first got it. I couldn't stand it, so I stretched mine out a lot, probably too far on the loose side. I wouldn't worry too much regarding the clamping impact - you can adjust it just by stretching/bending the headband a bit.

Best,

-Jason

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Yeah, actually the ES7 had a far stronger clamping force when I first got it. I couldn't stand it, so I stretched mine out a lot, probably too far on the loose side. I wouldn't worry too much regarding the clamping impact - you can adjust it just by stretching/bending the headband a bit.

Best,

-Jason

Ah HAH! It should be noted above that I was trying this fine person's ES7!

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #26 of 30
D66's suck. Don't buy them. Biggest regret of my life.

Feb 22, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Let me guess, not enough bass for you?

Same guess from me. Although what many people do not realize is that the bass mod makes the D66 thump like crazy with bass.

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
I think you could put the KSC drivers into pretty much anything that uses a 40mm driver with little or no modification.

I also really love the comfort of the Triports. They are the only things I've found that I thought were comparable (comfortwise for portable use) with the Eggo's. Just listening to the Triports in the store I actually kind of liked them. But then my roommate bought them and I listened to them with my gear compared to the HD555 (which he also bought) and my Super.fi's, I realized how bad the Triports actually sound. But they sure are comfy (and flimsy
biggrin.gif
). Too bad he returned both
rolleyes.gif
I think if I got a free pair of Triports I might actually use them around campus when I need a break from my Super.fi's (but I'd never pay retail for them).

Well the problem is (as mentioned in my previous post) the KSC drivers are 45mm, whereas the Coby's (and Eggo's?) use a smaller 40mm. I am not sure a 45mm driver will fit where a 40mm would, even with modifications it might be a PITA.

Yes the Triports were very comfortable, but sounded horrible. I am thinking the ones I listened to at that Apple store might have been messed up because they sounded REALLY bad. All highs, no bass, EXTREMELY harsh. I was totally blown away they cost $150...but that is typical bose. Over priced feces with a name on it.

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #30 of 30
Well the Triports have LOTS of bass, but it's just very boomy and 'one-note' so the ones you heard were probably broken.

Come to think of it, I had to remove the original 'ring' that the Eggphones (40mm) drivers sat in, to get the slightly larger KSC's to mount flush with the housing. I just used a sanding disk on a cordless drill and it was flat in a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back