ATH-ES7 Cable got caught and yanked out from the jack!!
Jul 5, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #16 of 21
^
Haha...

Well I guarantee you their estimate will not be to your liking. I guess it teaches you to be obsessively cautious with your gear. I have a tendency to be clumsy, too, and I have come close to damaging gear before. But, luckily, it has never happened.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #17 of 21
Well, if it ends up being any more than £25 ($50) before shipping, then I probably won't bother.

But if it's around that region I'd be willing to pay that, simply to keep the aesthetics of the audio jack and well, better them doing it than me.

Whatever I do, I'm definitely going to be much more careful with my ES7s. I just don't believe the string of bad luck I've had since I got back from Japan.

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think I'm going to wait for AT's reply about cost first. When I get something back from them, I'll decide whether or not it's best to give a DIY job a try.

I've done a little bit of soldering before, at school, but that was over 4 years ago now and well, as you can tell from my OP in this thread, I can be a bit clumsy
smily_headphones1.gif

That, and I can see myself soldering the right ear to the left, and the left to the right.

I did that when I reterminated my AKG K701 to a Switchcraft 3.5mm plug recently. It's no biggie, although it would probably help if you had some desoldering braid or a desoldering pump to hand just in case.

Admittedly I didn't use either, I got away with just heating the contacts and pulling the wires away, although that's not strictly speaking the most professional way to do it. Works a treat though!

Not difficult to do, but may be useful to a second person with a set of heatproof hands nearby!

Luckily I have to solder stuff at work (I work in an arcade with 150+ machines and kids seem to like breaking microswitches!) so I've got a decent setup there.

Soldering contacts like those is about as easy a job as you'll ever solder, as there are no majorly heat-sensitive components involved. Just remember to heat the contact and not the connecting wire (or the solder itself!) otherwise you'll get a very brittle joint with a very good chance of failure.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #19 of 21
Well, I got the estimate

Quote:

Repairs can be sent in for estimate of cost of repair, no charge will be made for this.

Cost of return carriage will incur, if the cost estimate is rejected.

The charges for out of warranty repair are as follows:-

Labour (£ 20.00) + Parts + Carriage (£5.00) for wireless(R.F.) products

Labour (£10.00) + Parts + Carriage (£5.00) for wired microphones

Labour (£10.00) + Parts + Carriage (£5.00) for headphones

Not bad to be honest. I can't find my jack now, so that might pump the price up a little bit.

Edit: This is why I was worried about doing the job myself, I didn't want to make a thread like this :p Sorry Arjun, I just had to post it...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rep...th-es7-341453/

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #20 of 21
The same thing happened to me with a pair of PX200s. I hadn't soldered anything for 10 years and with the help of a few directions from the helpful people on the DIY forums and a few attempts I managed to fix them.

In the end, I picked up a jack plug for a few quid and some solder for about a pound. When you add that to the total I spent on a soldering iron - none, as I asked around and used one a mate had for free - the total costs were far far less than a professional repair and in total took me about an hour max.

If you know someone with a soldering iron, you may as well try it. If you mess up you can always strip the lead back another cm (which won't make that much difference) and get it done by a pro.

I'm sure there's a ridiculous amount of info on how to solder effectively on the net.

Good luck!

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #21 of 21
Well, I had to get all my soldering stuff from a shop and gave it a go myself. I didn't too a bad job of it, but it looked like it was going to fall apart again any second, so I got it done by AT, since £15 isn't too bad to be fair.

Got them back today and well, it's more secure than my efforts. But they didn't use an AT jack, which, although it's only a small aesthetic touch, I'd much preferred they did that rather than using the normal jack I got. But it was only £15 and at least it's a better job than what I did. Now to be a bit more careful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back