ATH-ES7 Cable got caught and yanked out from the jack!!
Jul 4, 2008 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Tabris

New Head-Fier
Well, I've was on vacation and I ended up getting a pair of black ES7s in Japan a week ago, and all was going fine until today.

Unfortunately, I've had a string of bad luck since I came back to the UK (£400 phone bill because I forgot to set my phone to international), overflowing bath soaking my carpet, and today at a friends barbeque, my ES7 cable got caught on the handle of a drawer and it was pulled cleanly out of the headphone jack. So, I can't put it back in since the jack is so well made, and I don't have the expertise to do it myself anyway!

So, now they're totally disconnected and rendered useless, I'm going to have to get them repaired. So does anyone know what AT's English repair service is like, speed, service, price etc. Since I don't think that my damages are covered in the warranty.

I also found out that the Euro HQ was located about 50 miles away from where I live, so that was lucky...kinda...if postage fees account for distance.

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 21
If you can solder, buy a Switchcraft 1/8" plug and reterminate them, you'd be out a few quid if that. =p

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 21
How would I get through to the jack? I mean, the rubber around it is quite tough and I'm not quite able to pull it out.

Seriously though, if I have to resort to it and if AT's repair service, I'll probably end up crying...haha.

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 21
Cut the cable just above the strain relief for the damaged 1/8" plug, strip the cable, burn the lacquer off the wires and solder to a new plug. That guide is a good resource, also.

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 21
Right, since most of that went whoosh over my head and I don't have any of the parts required and will have to buy every single tool as well as a new jack.

I'm going to see how much it'll be to get the new jack and the headphones rewired by AT, then I'll decide whether or not it's worth repairing myself over paying for a repair.

Thanks guys.

If anyone has any experience of AT support, European or otherwise, your experiences would be great

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 21
Get a soldering iron and solder- $20.
Neutrik 3.5mm plug- $5

It shouldn't be no more than $40 and its really easy. A low powered iron won't melt the enamel off the wire, 40watts should do it. Once you have solder on the wire you can then solder the new jack. Done!

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 21
If it's not under warranty my guess is AT will charge you a stratospheric amount to repair them, plus shipping to and from the factory.

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 21
Tabris, just ask for help in the DIY forum from UK members. I'm sure someone will be willing to help.
If I were in living near you, I'd do it for you FOC. Unfortunately I'm halfway around the globe from where you're at.
rolleyes.gif

Its very simple to fix. Less than 10 minutes for the whole repair job.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't encourage a man to do it himself. If he've never done any diy'ing, he won't be able to do it neat for the first time.

Gotta start somewhere. Maybe he could first practice soldering, and then work up the courage to do the fix himself?

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #13 of 21
I just put a new jack on my ES7 a few days ago (bumped the jack on the plane and damaged one of the cables inside the sleeve). Second time I held a soldering iron. It just takes some patience and care. If you're not too clumbsy and you have a bit of patience it's not hard.
Anyway, it's no problem if you mess up, just start over.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 21
Well, I think I'm going to wait for AT's reply about cost first. When I get something back from them, I'll decide whether or not it's best to give a DIY job a try.

I've done a little bit of soldering before, at school, but that was over 4 years ago now and well, as you can tell from my OP in this thread, I can be a bit clumsy
smily_headphones1.gif

That, and I can see myself soldering the right ear to the left, and the left to the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back