ATH DHA3000
Jul 4, 2005 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mbratrud

100+ Head-Fier
Precious little has been said about this amplifier.

It would appear to be a dream machine for versatility missing only a USB port. Digital inputs, internal DAC, Digital EQ and a headphone amp built to drive the ATH L3000s.

It is not expensive if the elements are top notch....more than the Grace 902 which offers some similar abilities.

So what are the qualities of this machine - especially driving the ATH L3000s? I know several members received or are about to receive the L3000s. Surely this is bound to rekindle interest in this novel amplifier.

So too, the advent of the computer server is yet another reason to re examine the DHA3000.

A recent posting had the poster claiming to prefer the DHA3000 driving the L3000s BETTER than the Accuphse DV85 and a Singlepower SDS/XLR.

I have formerly owned an Accuphase 90/91 transport and DAC, DG28 digital EQ and a SInglepower Maestro ZR and if this claim has validity then the DHA3000 must surely be one of the great bargains in headphones (at least when driving the L3000s).

If any of you have heard this device (especially driving the L3000s) please take a monet and share with us your experiences - even your disappointments.

Searching can bring forth a lot of information on these forums but there iis truly precious little about the DHA3000 - on the whole net!

Many Thanks to those in the know!
MWB

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 21
If they could post a comparison against the Grace 902 then that would be great as well.

The Grace 902 seems to be more versatile but whether the sound quality is comparable to the AT DHA3000 has to be seen.

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
If they could post a comparison against the Grace 902 then that would be great as well.

The Grace 902 seems to be more versatile but whether the sound quality is comparable to the AT DHA3000 has to be seen.

More versatile? How about the EQ, the AT has digital EQ that IIRC the Grace lack off (not sure though of the new model) and it is very useful in the case you want to make some headphone (or any loosy recording) to sound the way you like...yeah I know the audiophile point of view...bla, bla, bla, but all headphones may color the sound in one way or the other, and you may like it colored this or that way, then you use the EQ....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
More versatile? How about the EQ, the AT has digital EQ that IIRC the Grace lack off (not sure though of the new model) and it is very useful in the case you want to make some headphone (or any loosy recording) to sound the way you like...yeah I know the audiophile point of view...bla, bla, bla, but all headphones may color the sound in one way or the other, and you may like it colored this or that way, then you use the EQ....
rolleyes.gif

I always love it when you post. I only said "seems" to be more versatile. While you my friend stated it as "fact".

The grace has balanced inputs and single ended inputs, USB input, pre-amp out facilities, upsampling. Both types of digital inputs as well as digital XLR input, Crossfeed.

I was only looking at possible alternatives to the DHA3000. Now whether the internal dac and headphone amplification is up to the DHA3000 remains to be heard as stated.

No need for your rolly eyes. Your view on the Grace and the DHA3000 is not applicable as you don't own them and even if you do it's not with the headphones Mbratrud or I own. But if you do have both products and the same headphones then please feel free enlightening non-audiophilles from your point of view.

In essence meatstick, don't go chasing pucks if you don't wanna get checked.

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

I always love it when you post. I only said "seems" to be more versatile. While you my friend stated it as "fact".

The grace has balanced inputs and single ended inputs, USB input, pre-amp out facilities, upsampling. Both types of digital inputs as well as digital XLR input, Crossfeed.

I was only looking at possible alternatives to the DHA3000. Now whether the internal dac and headphone amplification is up to the DHA3000 remains to be heard as stated.

No need for your rolly eyes. Your view on the Grace and the DHA3000 is not applicable as you don't own them and even if you do it's not with the headphones Mbratrud or I own. But if you do have both products and the same headphones then please feel free enlightening non-audiophilles from your point of view.

In essence meatstick, don't go chasing pucks if you don't wanna get checked.

First I don't think that we are friends, I have never meet you in my life, OK? And friend for me has another meaning (in which just a very few persons are inlcuded) and sorry but you are not one of them...

Second, I do not stated anything as fact, sorry if you misunderstood me, that is the way I talk, I thought that you were used to it, in all these years of seeing me posting....

Well to the point:

SO what, to have balanced inputs and outputs means absolutelly nothing for the majority of us, that don't care a little bit about balanced inputs or outputs, and that does not own and does not care to own any balanced source, and BTW most of the prestigious manufaturers in audio seems to prefer the unbalanced ones to the balanced (those are mainly used in the pro-audio) that inlcudes even Linn, just ask Nik...About the pre capabilties is not an issue neother for the majority, that don't even have space for an speaker setup...not your case maybe...

BTW to own or not a piece in question, does not exclude you of having an opinion on the versatility of it, or in knowing what the piece in question is able to do or not, we never talk about the sound quality, and to determine versatility, the only thing you have to do is read about them...Soundwise the AT amp offer you more posibilities of modifing the resulting sound, than the Grace, and that is a FACT if you want to consider it also...and IMO this is versatility....OTOH you could upsampling and downsampling all what you want, use balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs, ise different digital outputs and inputs, and at the end, the result will be the same sound, with more or less quality, but same sonic signature...

BTW, I never stated that I have owned them, nor that I like or not them, nor how they sound....I leave that opinins for the owners of both pieces....

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
SO what, to have balanced inputs and outputs means absolutelly nothing for the majority of us, that don't care a little bit about balanced inputs or outputs

Um, the DHA3000 doesn't have unbalanced inputs either. That matters to almost everyone considering this unit.

The Grace m902 can amp other CD players, DACs, turntables, etc. The DHA3000 (and Benchmark DAC1, for that matter) can't. Believe me, given the fact almost all of us looking at a DHA3000 have top tier CD and analog sources, and that the internal DAC of the DHA3000 is a relative unknown, this matters a lot.

Balanced versus unbalanced is a lot less relevant (man, I wish the Grace had balanced outputs though). But, I fail to see how a headphone amp that can't amp other sources is very versatile at all. And this is aside from all the other features of the Grace m902. The Grace m902 can function as a stand alone USB soundcard, DAC, headphone amplifier and pre-amplifier.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Um, the DHA3000 doesn't have unbalanced inputs either. That matters to almost everyone considering this unit.

The Grace m902 can amp other CD players, DACs, turntables, etc. The DHA3000 (and Benchmark DAC1, for that matter) can't. Believe me, given the fact I have a fairly high-end CD transport/DAC combo, this matters a lot.

Balanced versus unbalanced is a lot less relevant (man, I wish the Grace had balanced outputs though). But, I fail to see how a headphone amp that can't amp other sources is very versatile at all.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jason, many members has only one source, and has no other DAC, it is true that to have more inputs (or unbalanced inputs) would be nicer (a limitation for sure) though if you are using a DAC/headamp, to use an analog section will be a waste IMO, why getting a digital amp then, get a good analog one and save that money (and probably you will get a lot better sound, as those amps most of the times are not as good).....But IMO it will be better to keep all through the DAC of the amp, unless your case that has a very good DAC/transport, but this is not the case in the majority of the persons who get a DAC/headamplifier, they are looking also for a better DAC capability.

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 21
Dude, the features are just for people looking for these options who might find it useful. I don't need to ask Nik anything. Why don't you try a unbalanced amp over 10 metres from source. A balanced connections allow people to run their amps or sources over longer distances without the introduction of interference. The reason why Linn told Nik it was not worthwhile why he use balanced is because his source and amp are less than a metre from each other. So Balanced would make no difference in his setup.

Mbratrud and I are asking for people with the DHA3000 for their impressions. Now seeming there are only 3 headfiers I know of who have had this amp and could give a impression.

I think you having an opinion on something you have never heard and considering mbratrud is considering one given the cost, your opinion is dangerous.

Why do you give opinions on things you haven't heard. Are you one of those people who like to comment on everything whether you have heard it or not. Does this make you look knowledgeable?

You are right I am not your friend. Anybody who comments on things who has no understanding and then try to force it on other people are not my friends.

But I am no longer interested on threadcrapping on mbratruds thread. So I am withdrawing the little pissing match with you. I will agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Why do you give opinions on things you haven't heard. Are you one of those people who like to comment on everything whether you have heard it or not.

Because you comment, the one I posted about, was not about the sound quality of the amp, at all, just about the versatility of the amp....and to determine versatility of any piece in question, you do not need to hear anything....

Quote:

But I am no longer interested on threadcrapping on mbratruds thread. So I am withdrawing the little pissing match with you. I will agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.

At least on that we agree...sorry mbratrud...

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 21
Will you guys please cut it out? Bickering about inputs/outputs is completely irrelevant to the main purpose of this thread, namely asking for detailed descriptions of just why and how the sound of the DHA-3000 is supposedly extremely good.

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 21
Sovkiller and GoRedwings19, I'm going to leave your posts in, because oddly enough, they have contributed something to the dialogue in the sense that certain features of the DHA3000 were drawn out in the process. I'm happy to see that you've both decided to agree to disagree on the versatility issues (DHA3000 versus Grace 902) and more importantly to respect the thread starter's wishes to learn more about the DHA3000's sonic attributes.

Don't get me wrong, disagreements of opinion are a good thing and healthy for many of the discussions we have at head-fi. But please be mindful of the terms of use rules which state (effectively) that you should avoid personal attacks. And, of course, we old timers should be setting good examples! Peace.

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

The At DHA3000 is listed at $2500 at audiocubs. How much does the Grace retail for is it about $1500?

I believe the AT-DHA3000 is $3100 from audiocubes. I think this is a pretty fair price. General street price here in Japan seems to be from $2,500 - $3,000, though I have found it as low as $2250.

As for the Grace m902 - thanks to the Japan mark-up (I bought direct from the Japan distributor) I paid well over the US street price... but I've seen it generally around $1600, no?

Best,

-Jason

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I believe the AT-DHA3000 is $3100 from audiocubes. I think this is a pretty fair price. General street price here in Japan seems to be from $2,500 - $3,000, though I have found it as low as $2250.

As for the Grace m902 - thanks to the Japan mark-up (I bought direct from the Japan distributor) I paid well over the US street price... but I've seen it generally around $1600, no?

Best,

-Jason

Yowsers, that's pretty pricey for the dha3000. So JJ, have you had time to take a listen in store or something?

It been interesting from your impressions.

Dha3000&grace 902 or viable options at the moment. I think the Grace 902 might be the way for me to go, considering the internal dac is bypassable. Why don;t you try the l3000 with the Grace and lemme know how it works out....

Wmcmanus>Wow I have never been called an old timer before. But it's pretty cool. Does that mean I get to join the Florida headfiers crew?
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back