ATH-AD700 Review
Feb 27, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When someone refers to their headphones as pets, it's a safe assumption that he's being sarcastic.

Well, everywhere but Head-Fi at least. Here he's probably just as likely to be sincere.

Ah well, I assumed that if people spend ten's of thousands of dollars on their pets becase they think they are their babies, then why wouldn't people spend thousands of dollars on their headphones and treat them as their pet?
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
billabong-coolio-cooler.jpg

I use cooler as a headphone bag...
I can fit two headphones with no problem..

Hey that is a good idea. I like it. Simple and cheap and gets the job done.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #18 of 28
My pair of ATH AD700s just arrived in the mail earlier today! I bought them for the soundstage and comfort, something that my beloved Grados lack. Boy, was I blown away! For roughly $100, these cans have an incredibly spacious sound stage, musical textures billowing all around you. Live recordings, progressive rock, jazz, and classical excel with these cans. The Who's Live at Leeds and Pink Floyd's The Wall sound incredible!

The sound signature is a great combination between Grado and Sennheiser. I really love detailed, bright cans and that's exactly what these are. The brightness coupled with the massive sound stage reveals so many minute details I had previously missed. As mentioned by the OP, bass is not the main event here. It is still present, but more in the background. The only genres that don't fare quite well with the ATH AD700 is hard rock and heavy metal. Nothing can touch Grado on that front.
wink.gif

Comfort-wise, these cans take the cake. Sure they are big (actually, almost too big for my small head
tongue.gif
), but they are very light. The "wings" allow for the cans to freely rest on your head. The pads encompass your ears and apply almost no pressure; it's like wearing a pillow.

Overall, anyone interested in detailed, involving headphones should seriously consider the ATH AD700. It can be grabbed for under $100 on Amazon and is great as an all around pair of phones. Anyone who enjoys the Grado sound will absolutely love these cans!

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #22 of 28
Seriously, Ad700's are the most comfortable headphones I've worn to date.

And yea, I like your analogy of like, the bassist just being further away. I've noticed that I can pick out every bass note in a song when listening, I just don't get that impact as I would with HD595's.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #23 of 28

This is not my picture, but judging from it, both the AD700 and K701 seem to be roughly the same size. If my AD900 is just as big, then indeed, they're all huge. But very, very comfortable. Well, the Audio-Technicas, at least. I've never worn the K701.

Beneath is a picture of my two Audio-Technicas in their beds. They're these tins from IKEA (the smaller ones from the set). Work like a charm and fit perfectly.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #25 of 28
Feb 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #27 of 28
I love the tins Bengt. I'm tempted to make the trek down to mass and buy some. I've honestly got more headphones and headsets than I know what to do with now lol. I've got them in a big box in my room. But I like how you can label the front of them so you know what's what.

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: No wai.... no emu box in the land of emus.

Awwww... that's a shame! There are probably other metal boxes that are perfect for headphones. That are available Down Under, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back