ATH-AD700 Review
Feb 24, 2010 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

brconner

Head-Fier
So I had been looking for some over the ear headphones for a few months and hadn’t ever had a good pair over the ear headphones. I have a pair of Triple.fi 10’s that I had custom fit by Fisher audio, but I was eager to try a get set of cans. I didn’t want to spend too much money on them since I already have the TriFis and like those a lot. After reading a lot online, I found the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. I had originally been planning on getting the Shure SRH750DJs but they were a bit more than I wanted to spend at the moment. At $86 I didn’t feel guilty getting a pair.

The two main features I was really looking forward to on the AD700s was the soundstage and the fit. I kept reading how comfortable they are and that the soundstage was exceptionally good. The only thing I was really worried about was the bass response. A lot of people kept saying that these cans are not for bass-heads. I’m not a bass-head, but I appreciate good bass in my music.

So I ordered them from a store on eBay and have gotten probably 80 hours of listening to them by now. Now I had seen pictures online, but couldn’t find any pictures of someone wearing them. These things are big. I had read they were big, but I was still surprised at how big. Even though they are big, they are extremely comfortable. I was also surprised how light they feel when I wear them. They’re not very tight on my head, but I’m not worried about them falling off.

So the sound...it’s awesome. When I first opened them up and started listening I was hearing a few things that concerned me a bit, but keep reading. They sounded a bit sibilant and I noticed some distortion on the peaks of the music.

Turns out the distortion was coming from my source, an Alesis MultiMix using the USB audio. I switched to my iPhone and the distortion went away. I’m working on a headphone amp so once that’s done I’ll let you know about any differences. Anyways, as I used the headphones the sibilance disappeared. After probably 30 or 40 hours I didn’t notice any sibilant sounds.

So what do I like about the sound? The soundstage is excellent. When I listen to my TriFi’s it sounds like I’m right there in the studio. When I listen to the AD700s it sounds like I’m on stage. Listening to a good recording of a live jazz or classical concert is just awesome. I think you could actually point to where each instrument is being played with a good amount of accuracy. Listening to acoustic instruments and vocals is wonderful. While they sounded sibilant in the beginning, the sound has really evolved to a very sweet sound. Now I feel like the vocalist has maybe taken a step back from me in comparison to the other instruments, but everything is still very clear and articulate.

So about the bass…The bass is definitely there, but these cans really are not for the bass heads. You’ll still feel the bass pumping but it’s a little softer. They interesting thing I noticed about the bass was how far it extended though. The bass response actually extends lower than my TriFis. That’s not to say the AD700s have more bass or better bass, the response just extends a bit further. The bass does sounds good though, maybe a little further away in comparison to the rest of the sound. I think the bass is well defined and you can certainly feel it because of the extended response.

If you’re looking for something with isolation then I wouldn’t suggest these since there isn’t any isolation I can notice. I think that this helps with the spacious feel, and while they’d sound awesome in a library you probably shouldn’t listen to them there. The sounds leaks quite a bit.

Overall, I’m really happy I bought these cans. They sound great and I think for the price they sound even better. I love how you feel on stage with the musicians. It’s easy to get lost in the music. I haven’t watched any movies with them, but I think it would be pretty awesome. When there’s a sweeping sound from side to side you just want to turn your head and follow it, its just sick how cool it sounds haha. If you’re looking for a set of cans in the sub $100 price range I would highly suggest you consider these headphones.

Anyways, I’ll try to post some pics later. Hopefully you’ll find that this was a useful review!

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 28
Thats crazy, the AD700s are the biggest headphones I've seen to date haha. I'm more used to IEMs so the full size cans are a newer experience to me. I'll have to check the K701s sometime though.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 28
good review. I've almost bought AD900's or HD580's several times (after auditioning friends pairs), but every time, right before I pull the trigger, I listen to these things and I just think "you know, I'm really, really happy with these."

Now, I do have a really nice Nady EQ that I pulled out of a studio I used to work in when they updated some equipment. I give it a pretty decent bump in the bass (after pulling down the overall level so I don't get any clipping), but everything else is just spot on.

Even without the bass boost, they are still excellent headphones.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 28
Do you really need a case
tongue.gif
. You could get a nice stand instead.

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 28
billabong-coolio-cooler.jpg

I use cooler as a headphone bag...
I can fit two headphones with no problem..

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 28
Yes lol and don't leave them lying around. Mine have a fairly large dent on the grill
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 28
What are you, big foot?

I have headphones on the ground, on the bed, wherever they wish to go. I don't confine my pets to bags or stands. They are alive and have rights you know.

People these days.... tsk tsk.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 28
Wow, you should probably drop the act and stop being a tool... Pets and headphones are completely different things. A headphone is not a living thing. It does not have rights either. No I am not big foot, I have a very small foot for a 15 yr old actually, size 11, so hardly close to big foot
biggrin.gif
It probably got the dent from my Razer eXactmat when I put it on top of it. I do not remember chucking it onto it, but who knows, I haven't gamed in a while. "People these days", yes I am surprised at how much nerve people have on the internet these days.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you should probably drop the act and stop being a tool... Pets and headphones are completely different things. A headphone is not a living thing. It does not have rights either. No I am not big foot, I have a very small foot for a 15 yr old actually, size 11, so hardly close to big foot
biggrin.gif
It probably got the dent from my Razer eXactmat when I put it on top of it. I do not remember chucking it onto it, but who knows, I haven't gamed in a while. "People these days", yes I am surprised at how much nerve people have on the internet these days.

Your sarcasm detector is broken.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 28
It is a forum. Sarcasm does not translate well over text. Abuse is all over forums, how am I supposed to tell when some1 is being sarcastic
confused.gif
. I think from now on, posting something sarcastically should be in Italic
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a forum. Sarcasm does not translate well over text. Abuse is all over forums, how am I supposed to tell when some1 is being sarcastic
confused.gif
. I think from now on, posting something sarcastically should be in Italic
biggrin.gif

When someone refers to their headphones as pets, it's a safe assumption that he's being sarcastic.

Well, everywhere but Head-Fi at least. Here he's probably just as likely to be sincere.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 28
Sorry lol. I am a serious person, hence I take almost everything that is said seriously. Emoticons are useful for this
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW nice post count, 1337
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back