ATH-AD700 Questions (Owners/People With Experience, I Need You!)
Nov 12, 2008 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AZ Greg

New Head-Fier
Ok, I made a thread a couple of days ago asking for upgrade advice for me and eventually some advice for a friend. She did some research and came to the conclusion that the ATH-AD700s would probably fit her needs. After doing some research of my own I decided that I'm going to give them a try as well. Especially since I can grab them online for $98 new!
L3000.gif

Anyway, I have some questions I was hoping you owners of these cans, or people with experience, could answer. Some have been answered and may seem repetitive but I just want to confirm things:

- Based on what we've read, these headphones can be driven relatively easy without an amp, correct? My friend in particular will be using them out of her iPod Touch and PC. She nor I rule out eventually buying an amp, but for now we won't have one.

- These headphones work well with vocals and movies, correct? She will be using them a lot for J-pop and anime and I'll be using them a lot for videos as well. I also heard they are good for gaming, correct?

- One of the things that worries both of us is the lack of bass claims. Neither of us is a bass head but it still has me somewhat concerned. I can never tell if people are making their claims in general or with comparison to similarly priced headphones. So let me put it this way, if the bass of the PX-100s was fine for us, should we be fine with the bass of the ATH-AD700s?

- Regarding the fit, this pertains to me. I have read that some say they don't fit to well on narrow/small headed people. I have a relatively large head (7 and 5/8 fitted hat can be a little tight on me.
floatsmile.png
) and while it isn't fat it also isn't narrow. Should I be fine?

- Finally, there are a disturbingly small amount of pictures/videos of these headphones and their box on the net that aren't stock photos. I was hoping some owners could post some or point me to some.
regular_smile .gif

Sorry for making another advice thread so soon and sorry for asking about things that I'm sure are asked often. Everyone just has such unique needs that it is hard to find all the answers in one place. Thanks again!

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 14
These were my very first set of headphones and step into high end headphones. I'm sure both you and your friend will be pretty happy with the headphones.

I usually run my headphones using my PC as my source, but since then I got a small little CMOY headphone amp from my friend that he got off of ebay. I think these cost roughly $30-40 and will give you more headroom and will bring out more details. You could go with more expensive amps, but in that case I would recommend getting a better set of cans.

Regarding bass, I'm quite satisfied with the bass, although I wish it were a bit tighter and more accurate. It doesn't have a lot of bass, but perhaps you could eq whatever amount of bass you would want. There is also very low impedance on these cans, so you don't need a lower of power to make them so good. They pretty much sound very good out of the box. It's a pretty good set of headphones, but they're not amazing such as HD650 + amp status. For $98, I don't think you could go wrong. I paid almost $130-150 shipped several years ago when I bought my AD700s.

Goodluck and enjoy your Audio Technicas.
regular_smile .gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Greg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I made a thread a couple of days ago asking for upgrade advice for me and eventually some advice for a friend. She did some research and came to the conclusion that the ATH-AD700s would probably fit her needs. After doing some research of my own I decided that I'm going to give them a try as well. Especially since I can grab them online for $98 new!
L3000.gif

Anyway, I have some questions I was hoping you owners of these cans, or people with experience, could answer. Some have been answered and may seem repetitive but I just want to confirm things:

98$ for those pairs is one hell of a deal, mate. I remember paying close to 190 for those.

Quote:

- Based on what we've read, these headphones can be driven relatively easy without an amp, correct? My friend in particular will be using them out of her iPod Touch and PC. She nor I rule out eventually buying an amp, but for now we won't have one.

No amp needed to drive those wonderful cans - it does improve with amping though.

Quote:

- These headphones work well with vocals and movies, correct? She will be using them a lot for J-pop and anime and I'll be using them a lot for videos as well. I also heard they are good for gaming, correct?

Yup.

Quote:

- One of the things that worries both of us is the lack of bass claims. Neither of us is a bass head but it still has me somewhat concerned. I can never tell if people are making their claims in general or with comparison to similarly priced headphones. So let me put it this way, if the bass of the PX-100s was fine for us, should we be fine with the bass of the ATH-AD700s?

If your music has good bass on it, AD700 will show it. It's an accurate and tight bass - which I like better than large amount of bass cloud.

Quote:

- Regarding the fit, this pertains to me. I have read that some say they don't fit to well on narrow/small headed people. I have a relatively large head (7 and 5/8 fitted hat can be a little tight on me.
floatsmile.png
) and while it isn't fat it also isn't narrow. Should I be fine?

AD700 - most people don't have issues with them, and you can adjust the headband to fit your head needs
wink.gif

Quote:

- Finally, there are a disturbingly small amount of pictures/videos of these headphones and their box on the net that aren't stock photos. I was hoping some owners could post some or point me to some.
regular_smile .gif

this?:

ath-ad700.jpg

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the responses everyone! And thanks for posting that review JMCIII! I somehow missed it while I was searching for information around the net. I think my concerns have mostly been alleviated. Only thing I'm concerned about still is the fit, though that is something I won't be able to get over until I actually try them on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and Rednamalas1, that sort of picture is what I was talking about only being able to find. I was hoping for photos of the headphones in the wild. For example, people unboxing them, wearing them, or displaying them.

Thanks again everyone!

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 14
Fit is an issue, no question. BUT, I've found that if I put a rubberband between the wings it helps tighten the fit, which will also help tighten and deepen the bass (though the bass will never be overly deep, it is tuneful).

Oh, and I have the same size head as yours. My ATH AD700s seem to float on my head. they are BY FAR the most comfortable headphone I own.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 14
I am pretty much agree with everything JMCIII and Rednamalas1 said. I have an old review of AD700 vs. MS-1 - check it out here.

AM1.jpg

Beauty and the Beast.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 14
Agreeing with Rednamalas1 as well. Ive had these for almost a year and they were definitely worth the 100. Ive been using them straight out of my prelude and although they are light on the bass they sound really nice. I have a new appreciation for female vocalists.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 14
To be honest, it is hard to go wrong with these cans. They are just nice, affordable well rounded headphones.

I agree 100 percent with everything that Rednamalas1 said.

I have a large head, both wide and tall, and they fit me well, very comfortable. I bent the wings back with a rubber band for a couple nights because when I first got the they sat too high on my head, they are fine now.

As far as the bass, they have quality, not a ton of quantity, but I never had any issues EQing that problem away.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 14
Considering the price of AD700, there's really no reason not to buy a pair. They're excellent for everyday all-around use. They eat pretty much anything I put through them, from music to movies to anime to video games.

They're a bit bass-light and therefore albums that were mastered with an anemic low end (such as After Forever's Decipher) do not sound that good on these headphones. But I haven't found any other things that sound bad on the AD700.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 14
Again, thank you everyone!

These headphones definitely look like the best in my price range when paired with my needs. Now I just need to wait for someone to buy my PX100s off of Amazon then I'll have enough money to order these. Can't wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 14
They are a real steal at 98. I think they're the most comfortable headphoens i have and i have a huge freakin head. I think the bass has good quality but the impact is kinda weak. i don't use an amp but they probably wouldn't help much anyway. Great for classical and movies, the soundstage is fantastic imo. enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back