ATH-AD700 or Beyer DT880 for gaming?
Mar 31, 2009 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

omyard

New Head-Fier
Which would suit me better for gaming? I'll probably do some music and movie too, but mostly gaming.

I've been reading that the 880's would need a pretty good amp in order to get the fullest out of them. I plan on plugging either of these directly into my harman/kardon avr 354. Would that be good enough for the 880's?

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 58
The AD-700 are the best gaming headphones than any under about 600 dollars. They even top some above that level. The soundstage is incredible, and they seem almost effortless in reporting specific locations of sound. The DT880s are decent phones, but inferior for gaming. That is the general impression on these boards and my personal experience with both phones

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 58
Waiting for my AD700's to show up from Amazon to test, already have the DT880. Heck, may make it a four way test and throw in my Ultrasone 900Pro or Ultrasone HFI-780.
Granted, may have to give them a bit of burn in first.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by inukage0029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD-700 are the best gaming headphones than any under about 600 dollars. They even top some above that level. The soundstage is incredible, and they seem almost effortless in reporting specific locations of sound. The DT880s are decent phones, but inferior for gaming. That is the general impression on these boards and my personal experience with both phones

No. Thats not true. Best for gaming under 600? How much experience do you have with hi end cans in general? And there are Ortho/Electro cans to deal with also. The 880 inferior for gaming?? No. They are the best well rounded headphone for gaming I have heard. Yes, the AD700 does certain things better, but the 880s are more of a complete package, especially when DH is involved. Bright, Detail, clarity, high fidelity, do matter for gaming.. If you think all you need is a big sound stage, then you will go ga ga over the AD700.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my not another.. We have stickies.. Guess we need another 'Gaming headphone sticky'.

Well I've searched the site quite a bit and used Google, but I couldn't find an answer to my question about my h/k 354 being enough to power the BT880 to it's fullest.

From the results I read the impression I got was BT880 (amped) > AD700 > BT880

If there is an answer to my question feel free to point me in the direction of it, apatN.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard that the DT880 is better but the AD700s are far better bang/buck.

I found Kool Bubba Ice's guides to be quite helpful:

Kool Bubba Ice's Base

It was actually his guide that brought my attention to the BT880's.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by omyard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've searched the site quite a bit and used Google, but I couldn't find an answer to my question about my h/k 354 being enough to power the BT880 to it's fullest.

From the results I read the impression I got was BT880 (amped) > AD700 > BT880

If there is an answer to my question feel free to point me in the direction of it, apatN.

I also agree that the AD700 are better than the DT880 for gaming. The DT880 does have more detail but the AD700 is no slouch either and does things fine. It also has less bass, which is a better thing for gaming since it means explosions and gunshots don't drown out footsteps.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 58
why would you even consider the DT880 for gaming on the computer? It need a good for it to sound good.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also agree that the AD700 are better than the DT880 for gaming. The DT880 does have more detail but the AD700 is no slouch either and does things fine. It also has less bass, which is a better thing for gaming since it means explosions and gunshots don't drown out footsteps.

The 880s are not recommended for rap and other bass heavy music. They are far from bass heavy. The bass is aggressive, and bangs with authority, but not enough to blind side ambient details and not being able to hear foot steps.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 880s are not recommended for rap and other bass heavy music. They are far from bass heavy. The bass is aggressive, and bangs with authority, but not enough to blind side ambient details and not being able to hear foot steps.

I agree - it is some of the nicest bass I have ever heard.

But it is still more than the AD700.

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree - it is some of the nicest bass I have ever heard.

But it is still more than the AD700.

exactly how i feel. great bass, but still enough to make a difference.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 58
Wow.. That makes me not want to hear the AD700 then. The Beyers go deep and have enough bass but it is nothing near slamming or anything.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 58
Your Harmon Kardon receiver will power the DT800's fine. The 880's are more engaging then the AD700's - fuller sound and hit harder. The sound of gunfire sound more real, like real gun fire sounds. And the 880's are more comfortable, and fit the ear better. But are they worth 3x more then the AD700's? Tough one. If cost isn't an issue, i'd recommend the 880's. But if cost is, then the AD700's is a no brainer, and cannot be beat. Also if you use Dolby Headphone DSP, the 880's have better synergy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back