ATH-AD700 + Amp?
Mar 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ExplosiveDuck

Head-Fier
I think I've decided on purchasing the AD700's after reading some reviews about their sound compared to other headphones, and I was just wondering, because I saw on the "Headphone Buyers Guide" thread that they don't necc. need an amp to drive them:

Will I still hear a difference between AD700's amp'd VS un-amp'd?

This is important to me because if there isn't going to be a difference, I'm going to spend more money on a phone that will sound good with an Amp, because it would render my amp useless then, as the only other pair I have is the HD280's (which people say don't benefit from an amp..)

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 9
How much of a Sonic boost / what kind of "sound" is a sonic boost?

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Amplifiers amplify sound, so it will boost all frequency ranges. Make everything a little, or a lot (depending on the amp and volume), louder. So, generally speaking, all headphones are going to benefit with amplification. I have the particular combination of the AD700 and amplifiers. Straight into the Sansa Fuze the AD700, sound good, but through an amplifier, they sound better, in that all frequencies get boosted.

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 9
Are you happy with the AD700s?

What kind of music do you mostly listen to?

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 9
I was shocked at how good they sounded. I like the clarity, the soundstage, and comfort of these cans. I listen to rock 80's,90's alternative rock. Have a few instrumental guitar CD's, and have gotten into instrumental Jazz recently. IMO, all genres of music sound good in these cans. They are knocked for lack of bass, but it is not lack of bass, as much as bass impact. They are open cans, so you don't get the bass drive that you would get from closed cans or speakers. The clarity and soundstage more than make up for this, IMO.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExplosiveDuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I've decided on purchasing the AD700's after reading some reviews about their sound compared to other headphones, and I was just wondering, because I saw on the "Headphone Buyers Guide" thread that they don't necc. need an amp to drive them:

Will I still hear a difference between AD700's amp'd VS un-amp'd?

This is important to me because if there isn't going to be a difference, I'm going to spend more money on a phone that will sound good with an Amp, because it would render my amp useless then, as the only other pair I have is the HD280's (which people say don't benefit from an amp..)

Thanks!

Yes.

They sound good without an amp, better with. Everything is improved and the bass becomes noticeable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The clarity is pretty good, but they do have a dark presentation.

Wait, what? A dark presentation?

To my ears they're more towards the bright end of the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back