ATH-AD2000 - Reterminating for balanced?
Feb 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 15
You can re-terminate 99% of headphones to balanced.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 15
I don't get your post,
The AD2000 can be in the remaining 1%.

To be clear, I want to use the stock cable, and just change the plug into 4-PIN XLR.
Have someone done this with the ATH-AD2000 before?

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 15
I don't believe in statistics,
not when it comes to abusing few hundreds worth of perfectly good equipment.

Anyway, I've found a post where some state that the AD2000 have 4-conductors wire, but the ground is shared, which make no sense.
I'll probably try it anyway.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoapSeller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe in statistics,
not when it comes to abusing few hundreds worth of perfectly good equipment.

Anyway, I've found a post where some state that the AD2000 have 4-conductors wire, but the ground is shared, which make no sense.
I'll probably try it anyway.

Uhm... do you leave the house if you know that there is a statistical probability of a meteor hitting you in the head?

Since they use a 4-conductor cable (as I said they would), go right ahead with the mod. You'll want to make sure you can match up the wires to Left+/Left-/Right+/Right- (pins 1-4 on the XLR4 connector accordingly). It helps if the wires are color-coded, but since we cannot make that assumption, you really shouldn't just cut the connector off but strip the insulation to expose the wires and mark them before cutting away the connector.

Good luck, and post photos when done
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ground is only shared in the plug.

As I found out, the cable is 4-wire one, but the ground is connected in the Y-split, so I had to redo this part of the cable as well.

I'll probably go for a full recable some time soon, since I'm not fully satisfied with my new y-split
redface.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 15
ah, that sucks. sorry about the misleading presumption. i thought, bc normally, it is only grounded in the plug.

well, it might be better to have the stock cable in hand, just in case you want to sell em in future..

have fun recabling
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I'm having an impossibly hard time believing that the AD2000 would have a 3-conductor cable. When you say the ground is connected at the y-split, do you mean that there really is a connection between Left+/Right+ with the connector cut off?

There are a few headphones that connect ground on the Y split. I have no idea why, but they do it.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 15
As I said before, it's a 4 conductor wire, all the way from the elements to the plug, but...
At the Y split the ground is shared, I've validated it before, but now I've cracked open the old y-splitter and took some pics.

You can see my new connector, my new glue covered y-split , and the old y-splitter pcb, one side for the r/l+ and the other for the ground:
pluskn0.jpg

gndqp1.jpg

(Please don't criticize my work, it's only temporary
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back