ATH-AD1000X vs HD800 (soundstage/gaming)
Oct 28, 2017 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CT007

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got my AD1000X today, and coming from my long-used HD600, they are MASSIVELY better at positional audio... If AD1000X makes me feel like I can hear 100% of the game environment/surroundings accurately, I would put HD600 at about 10%. Seriously. It's literally like night & day. A vast, brutal improvement!! So, how do my dream cans(HD800, that I've never got to hear yet) compare to AD1000X for spatial audio in games and such?

Other headphones tested in the past: DT880, DT990, WD5000X, ATH-A900, ATH-W1000, Fidelio X2, handful of IEMs like RE400, HE-500, HE-400, HE-6, mid-tier Grados, HD650, Denon stuff, B&W stuff..

Schiit Modi Multibit + Jotunheim coming in the mail soon to test, as well ^ ^

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 16
Just got my AD1000X today, and coming from my long-used HD600, they are MASSIVELY better at positional audio... If AD1000X makes me feel like I can hear 100% of the game environment/surroundings accurately, I would put HD600 at about 10%. Seriously. It's literally like night & day. A vast, brutal improvement!! So, how do my dream cans(HD800, that I've never got to hear yet) compare to AD1000X for spatial audio in games and such?

Other headphones tested in the past: DT880, DT990, WD5000X, ATH-A900, ATH-W1000, Fidelio X2, handful of IEMs like RE400, HE-500, HE-400, HE-6, mid-tier Grados, HD650, Denon stuff, B&W stuff..

Schiit Modi Multibit + Jotunheim coming in the mail soon to test, as well ^ ^
HD 800 is like the endgame of Dynamic headphones for soundstage and imaging, it's soundstage is freaking wide and it's imaging is stupidly good since it's so analytical. The thing is a tool for your ears.

You could also give the HE-400i a go and also the K712.

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 16
these cans are best suited for competitive gaming, as for fun gaming a V-shaped cans will serve you better.

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 16
HD 800 is like the endgame of Dynamic headphones for soundstage and imaging, it's soundstage is freaking wide and it's imaging is stupidly good since it's so analytical. The thing is a tool for your ears.

You could also give the HE-400i a go and also the K712.
I've always been hesitant of trying AKG's, because everyone says the soundstage is artificially large... But perhaps K712 is my ticket. :)

And wow, it sounds like HD800 will be at least 200%, if 1000X = 100%! :5

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 16
I've always been hesitant of trying AKG's, because everyone says the soundstage is artificially large... But perhaps K712 is my ticket. :)

I hate when people put percentages on things as it is too subjective to do so. I have not heard the AD 1000x so can’t say for sure but have yet to hear a soundstage much bigger than the 800’s.

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 16
I hate when people put percentages on things as it is too subjective to do so. I have not heard the AD 1000x so can’t say for sure but have yet to hear a soundstage much bigger than the 800’s.
Heh. What would you prefer instead then? :s If I don't use a number, it's gonna be something like, "I can tell where EVERYTHING is with 1000x, and with HD600 I still have insulated Winter earmuffs on".

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 16

The K701 had a very artificial sounding wide stage but the K712 does not, K712 is narrower but not by too much and it's definitely wide but it's also realistic sounding. I see the K712 as a cheaper version of the HD 800 but if you absolutely want endgame in this area then HD 800 is what you want.

Oct 28, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 16
Heh. What would you prefer instead then? :s If I don't use a number, it's gonna be something like, "I can tell where EVERYTHING is with 1000x, and with HD600 I still have insulated Winter earmuffs on".
Well percentage is a finite thing and if you can give a measurement that backs that up I’ll be down with that but I’m pretty sure that is not the case. Someone’s 90% is another’s 40% so it is not good to put it to those statements and can be much different to the ones that hear it.

Oct 28, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 16
The 800 are insanely good for competitive shooters due to the massive Soundstage and great imaging. They aren't as good for immerse games because they aren't super exciting and you may feel like explosions don't have much punch to them. I would personally love to have the 800 as a daily driver/gaming headphone to replace my 598 but I probably wouldn't use it for single player games that are focused on creating an involving atmosphere for the player. For that use, I'd rather have a punchy and bass heavy headphone with good clarity, or speakers.

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #10 of 16
Also looking at the HD800 for music and gaming.

What's the preferred option for immersion and positional audio? Virtual surround device or 2.0 straight through a quality dac & amp?

I've already got the X7 but considering letting it go if normal stereo is superior.

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 16

What's the preferred option for immersion and positional audio? Virtual surround device or 2.0 straight through a quality dac & amp?

I've already got the X7 but considering letting it go if normal stereo is superior.
Of all the positional audio test I've done, using the virtual surround options on my STX card and anywhere else, stereo has always sounded the best/most accurate. I had the Zalman ZM-RS6F ages ago, and don't even remember how they sounded lol. It's all about the quality of the headphone's soundstage(vertical, horizontal), and how well positional sound is implemented in the game/movie, IMO.

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 16

Your mileage may vary. Some people prefer virtual surround, others prefer stereo. The best for headphones must be the latest Smyth Realiser though, but I have no clue who'd buy that when you can just get a surround sound speaker setup instead which decimates everything for entertainment.

I personally did prefer virtual surround when gaming on headphones. I used X-Fi CMSS-3D, tried Razer Surround too which was good though perhaps exaggerated. THX TruStudio Pro sucked.

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 16
Your mileage may vary. Some people prefer virtual surround, others prefer stereo. The best for headphones must be the latest Smyth Realiser though, but I have no clue who'd buy that when you can just get a surround sound speaker setup instead which decimates everything for entertainment.

I personally did prefer virtual surround when gaming on headphones. I used X-Fi CMSS-3D, tried Razer Surround too which was good though perhaps exaggerated. THX TruStudio Pro sucked.
I think it depends on the type of game. If you play more casual or visual-intensive games, you won't need(or notice) maximum positional accuracy, compared to competitive FPS games. There's always a test, though; load up some familiar games, and see which headphone & setting allows you to track the bot/opponent by ear best.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 16
I think it depends on the type of game. If you play more casual or visual-intensive games, you won't need(or notice) maximum positional accuracy, compared to competitive FPS games. There's always a test, though; load up some familiar games, and see which headphone & setting allows you to track the bot/opponent by ear best.

True, also something like a sidescroller will of course not need virtual surround (though all those fit into the casual category I suppose?) The most casual games I played on headphones were Telltale games and horror titles from Frictional Games. For me, the virtual surround aided with immersion in the Telltale games even, while Frictional Games' horror titles have a hugely immersive sound environment that support simulated binaural audio which is the absolute best game sound you can get from headphones.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 16
Frictional Games
Oh man, the Penumbra games are so good... And SOMA was my most anticipated gamed for so long! Never liked the Amnesia stuff, tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back