ATH A900X on laptop
Mar 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

manive

New Head-Fier
I will state that im new to audiophile stuff. This is going to be my first audiophile level headphones – the ATF A900X. I havent ordered havent ordered yet but looking out for good deal on it.

The concern i have now though is weather i need dac/amp and if ill get much of upgrade from it.
The problem is that im going to use the headphones connected to my laptop(it has some ****y beats soundcard with some cheesy name). Now ive read that for laptops its best to look for external usb dac.

Also is it a good idea to get dac/amp or is dac enough for these phones. Ive read somewhere that they dont quite need amping.

Lastly, im planning to set up for some soundstage with dolby headphones for games/meybe movies also. Is there a decent dac getting these headphoens to their full potential also supporting dolby heaphones? if not, is it possible to join your dac + dolby headphons supporting gadget?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 10
The A900Xs already have a pretty good soundstage for closed headphones.  I'd recommend getting the uDAC-2 or the Audinst HUD-MX1, depending on how much you want to spend.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
I will state that im new to audiophile stuff. This is going to be my first audiophile level headphones – the ATF A900X. I havent ordered havent ordered yet but looking out for good deal on it.

The concern i have now though is weather i need dac/amp and if ill get much of upgrade from it.
The problem is that im going to use the headphones connected to my laptop(it has some ****y beats soundcard with some cheesy name). Now ive read that for laptops its best to look for external usb dac.

Also is it a good idea to get dac/amp or is dac enough for these phones. Ive read somewhere that they dont quite need amping.

Lastly, im planning to set up for some soundstage with dolby headphones for games/meybe movies also. Is there a decent dac getting these headphoens to their full potential also supporting dolby heaphones? if not, is it possible to join your dac + dolby headphons supporting gadget?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance.

I would definitely get off the laptop internal stuff.

Xonar U3 is an inexpensive start.

Very best,

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Well yeah i was aware of Xonar U3. The problem is, that i love music as much as i love games and movies. The difficult questions i am eager to find an answer to that i wasnt able to find anywhere in this forum is..
- Can you get your headphones to somewhat full potention also getting surround sound such as dolby headphoens provide? And how big is the difference from getting Xonar U3 compared to HUD-MX1 or uDAC-2, that marximus suggested, to overall music quality?

Also i assume my idea of getting a propper DAC and combing it with something like Xonar U3 isnt much of a good idea(would it work on your sound "DAC'ed" with your quality DAC device will be negated or something like that by Xonar U3 dac?).

How fun is surround sound to play with / whatch movies ? For those who have tried it share your opinion if you can. Do you keep using it or is the technology 'not there yet' and you feel that good old real stereo is the best.

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Well yeah i was aware of Xonar U3. The problem is, that i love music as much as i love games and movies. The difficult questions i am eager to find an answer to that i wasnt able to find anywhere in this forum is..
- Can you get your headphones to somewhat full potention also getting surround sound such as dolby headphoens provide? And how big is the difference from getting Xonar U3 compared to HUD-MX1 or uDAC-2, that marximus suggested, to overall music quality?

Also i assume my idea of getting a propper DAC and combing it with something like Xonar U3 isnt much of a good idea(would it work on your sound "DAC'ed" with your quality DAC device will be negated or something like that by Xonar U3 dac?).

How fun is surround sound to play with / whatch movies ? For those who have tried it share your opinion if you can. Do you keep using it or is the technology 'not there yet' and you feel that good old real stereo is the best.

There isn't much difference between  a good DAC and an excellent DAC. I always used stereo for movies and games, some people advocate surround for gaming though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back