ATH-A900x Closed + Fiio E10 Good or bad choice?!
Dec 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jeso

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Thanks to another thread i stared in here i got started in this audiophile journey and learned a thing or two. I didn't even know what the hell an amp was or why would i bother getting one. Now i know what they are and i understand the need for them.

I picked up a pair of ATH-A900x closed cans and im also interested on getting a nice entry level amp, so i was looking at the Fiio E10, has good reviews, and its a pretty nice price. 
So i was thinking on buying the Fiio E10, but then again, i know my ATH-A900x while they are great an all, they aren't high end by no means and i don't know if they'll benefit much from the Fiio E10. 

What do you guys think? I just want to squeeze as much quality and goodness out of my ATH-A900x as i possible can with my desktop computer as a source. Should i get the Fiio E10?! 

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 7
  Hi all,

Thanks to another thread I stared in here I got started in this audiophile journey and learned a thing or two. I didn't even know what the hell an amp was or why would I bother getting one. Now i know what they are and i understand the need for them.

I picked up a pair of ATH-A900X closed cans and I'm also interested on getting a nice entry level amp, so I was looking at the Fiio E10, has good reviews, and its a pretty nice price. 
So I was thinking on buying the Fiio E10, but then again, I know my ATH-A900X while they are great an all, they aren't high end by no means and i don't know if they'll benefit much from the Fiio E10. 

What do you guys think? I just want to squeeze as much quality and goodness out of my ATH-A900X as i possible can with my desktop computer as a source. Should i get the Fiio E10?! 

Chances are your desktop computer comes with low costing audio hardware.
Where as the FiiO E10 should have a better DAC chip (WM8740 Digital to Analog Converter) and comes with a low impedance headphone amplifier :)
You could also get an Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27, technically not as good as the E10, but it is cheaper.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 7
  So in other words, its a good idea to get the Fiio E10? :p   Sorry, the point of your message is a bit hard to understand. 

I like to think it's not my place to tell others what to do.
Just present that facts as best I can and let them make their own choices.
I'm protecting myself from someone coming back and saying 
"Why did you tell me to buy this DAC/Amp when you could have told me to buy this other DAC/Amp".

If I wanted to get an external DAC/Amp to use with the A900X, I would consider getting the Fiio E10.
It's the best I know of in the $75 price range, so got no problem with you getting the E10.
I'm assuming this is really just for music audio? not for headphone surround sound for gaming and movies?
As a USB DAC/Amp is really just basic 2-channel stereo audio.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Yea i understand, Im just looking to gather opinions on the matter, "If I was you i'd do this and that bla bla" that sort of thing. I wouldn't blame someone over the internet for my purchase choices LoL, has that ever happened in here? thats sounds pretty immature.

Its mainly audio but for Movies as well, no games. So Surround sound would be nice, i hadn't thought a bout that last bit, is this headphone/amp combo not good for surround sound?

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 7
Yea I understand, I'm just looking to gather opinions on the matter, "If I was you i'd do this and that bla bla" that sort of thing. I wouldn't blame someone over the internet for my purchase choices LoL, has that ever happened in here? that's sounds pretty immature.

Its mainly audio but for Movies as well, no games. So Surround sound would be nice, i hadn't thought a bout that last bit, is this headphone/amp combo not good for surround sound?

I'm an amateur audio enthusiast, but some people think I'm an audio expert.
Just because a Lockeed rocket engineer once told me I have a brain like a rocket scientist, people seem to look to me for answers.

External USB DACs or DAC/Amps bypass the sound card, which is not really a problem if all you need is 2-channel audio, movies can still sound good in stereo.
Movie surround sound starts off with 6 or 8-channels of sound that need to be processed into headphone surround sound.
The cheaper Xonar DG or DGX sound card comes with Dolby Headphone surround sound, some have found the Xonar DG/DGX to sound just as good as the Fiio E10.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 7
Oh now that i've looked that Xonar sound card up, it looks like an add up to a PC, i use an Imac, so i can't use that. Lol, hmm..   Well, I think imma wait for more people's opinion on the Fiio E10 and try to make a decision. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back