ATH-A900 to DT880 's. Worth doing?
May 5, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with dreamwhisper. Either you buy the DT880 Pro's, or go to the W5000's. The AD2000's are overrated and sound artificial. The DT880 (Pro)'s are much closer to the musical truth. Mostly probable reason why people prefer the AD2000's to the DT880's is lower impedance of the former, making them easier to drive from anything with a headphone out. Connected to a good desktop headphone amp, the DT880's will show what they can do.

AD2000s are colored, but DT880 can be very stale and analytical at times.
I find AD2Ks much more enjoyable due to its emotional presentation and beautiful mids. I also find that AD2Ks have MORE detail than DT880s, just not as blunt and noticible as Dt880s.

May 6, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #17 of 37
I'm getting some AD2000's from Riceboy in about a week. Thanks for the help.

May 7, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt990 05s are average sounding cans with fatiguing treble

X2
The highs cause me to feel really uncomfortable even after 10mins of listening.

May 12, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 37
Got my ad2000's today. They sound pretty amazing. Every little sound seems to stand out more and the bass is strong without booming just like I had hoped. They also seem to be able to hold the noise together better at high volume if that makes sense. I've only been listening for 15 minutes but so far so good. I need to go through all the songs I'm familiar with to see the difference between these and my 900's but so far I think they're pretty much beat in every way.

May 12, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #20 of 37
great stuff. Try listening to intense classical and listen for Tympani drums - impact will make you giggle
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #21 of 37
Can you recommend something specific? I know nothing of classical. All I know is rock is awesome so far. Electric guitar has that snarl that makes it sound so fun. I've been needing that so badly for so long. I'm afraid I'm going to deafen myself with these things. I've got a big goofy smile right now and I can't make it go away.

PS- My ears don't touch the drivers, which I was a bit worried about. Yay comfort.

May 13, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #24 of 37
brando, I'm still waiting for my a900s and was wondering if you thought they were still good after listening to the ad2000. Do you now agree with rednamalas1 that it has a recessed midrange. Can't wait to listen to them myself and am hoping to enjoy them

May 13, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #25 of 37
They don't put the 900's to shame but they're definitely better. I don't know what a recessed midrange is so I can't really comment on that. One thing thats for sure is I don't feel like I'm giving anything up by switching except isolation, which doesn't bother me since these are inside phones. I used them in FEAR multiplayer today too. They did fine. To be honest I can't really tell the direction of my enemies accurately with either phone despite the fact that the a900's are supposed to be the uber fps cans. When it comes down to it, it's just left and right sounds with any stereo phones you buy. Someone could be a floor above me or right behind me and it sounds the same. Telling distance helps though, which the ad2000's are just as good at or better as far as I can tell. I still need more time playing to be sure but I think they're fine for gaming too. The most obvious thing I've noticed about the ad2000's over the 900's is the sounds are more distinct and textured. They stay separate even when they're all going simultaneously at high volume. Bass also seems more appropriate and controlled. I still say 900's are nice phones. They're way cheaper so of course they're not as good.

May 14, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #26 of 37
just listened to a few songs on the a900s that i got today and I am impressed. These are a great fun 200 dollar can. not recessed and cold sounding like the beyer dt990s 2005 which i had. The mids are not as recessed as i expected from reading most peoples comments. These definitely have a resemblance to the ad2ks. You can tell they are both the same brand even though one is closed and one isn't. Its fatter sounding with less punch than the ad2ks but the midrange is still pretty good. I always saw these pitted against the hd595s. I would say these are less neutral but more fun and well rounded for any music. It has a slight closed can coloration but it doesn't bother me as much as the hd595s lack of punch when driven straight from the ipod.

More listening to the a900 has made me hear the recession in the lower mids but they are still fun nonetheless. They are awesome with kraftwerks minimum maximum. I wonder if the ad2k can beat them with this cd
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't put the 900's to shame but they're definitely better. I don't know what a recessed midrange is so I can't really comment on that. One thing thats for sure is I don't feel like I'm giving anything up by switching except isolation, which doesn't bother me since these are inside phones. I used them in FEAR multiplayer today too. They did fine. To be honest I can't really tell the direction of my enemies accurately with either phone despite the fact that the a900's are supposed to be the uber fps cans. When it comes down to it, it's just left and right sounds with any stereo phones you buy. Someone could be a floor above me or right behind me and it sounds the same. Telling distance helps though, which the ad2000's are just as good at or better as far as I can tell. I still need more time playing to be sure but I think they're fine for gaming too. The most obvious thing I've noticed about the ad2000's over the 900's is the sounds are more distinct and textured. They stay separate even when they're all going simultaneously at high volume. Bass also seems more appropriate and controlled. I still say 900's are nice phones. They're way cheaper so of course they're not as good.

That is the sound stage that you are noticing. The AD2k have a sig larger soundstage then the A900s. You'll be able to judge sound distance a lot better.

For gaming, i'd still recommend the beyer 880 2005 edition or the akg k601s. Two of the best gaming cans one can buy.

May 14, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #28 of 37
I've done some more listening with the ad2000's and gotten a better feel for them the last couple days. I can definitely hear a lot more details than with the 900's but the bass is a little less. Or maybe not less, but different. The 900's bass is closer to subwoofer style and the 2000's is focused and textured. Almost like it's going through a funnel that makes it clearer and sharper. The 900's goes through your head more but drums have less impact than the 2000's. I think I prefer the 2000's bass but I like them both alot.

May 14, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #29 of 37
These a900s have almost been forgotten due to the rise in popularity of the denon d2000s. They shouldn't be forgotten. They are actually a different market I think because the denons are not supposed to do well unamped unlike these. These have now replaced my ad2000s as my primary laptop cans. The ad2000s are getting a gilmore lite next once i have the extra funds.

May 15, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These a900s have almost been forgotten due to the rise in popularity of the denon d2000s. They shouldn't be forgotten. They are actually a different market I think because the denons are not supposed to do well unamped unlike these. These have now replaced my ad2000s as my primary laptop cans. The ad2000s are getting a gilmore lite next once i have the extra funds.

Now that you mention it, it seems like the 2000's need more power even though they're equally sensitive on paper. With the 900's I could get plenty of volume at 55% on the main volume dial. I have to turn it way up with the 2000's. I think I want one of those gilmore lite's myself. It'll be interesting to see what it does to the 2000's considering the difference that I get just from plugging them into the headphone jack on my receiver (way better). I pm'd a guy about a used one earlier but I guess he changed his mind about selling. Not that I need any more debt on my credit card right now but waaaaahhh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back