ATH-A900 owners...
Mar 13, 2004 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Zuerst

Headphoneus Supremus
Does the area where the padding meets that thin material very rough and uneven? There's like a little drip of plastic sticking out on the back of the left cup too... which I proceed to file down with a fine sanding pen. It looks like crap but better than a drip of plactic sticking out. I thought Audio-Technica is known for well built products. Did I just get a ****ty unit? Other than that it sounds great.
frown.gif

Mar 13, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 32
You may want to posit a question and come back a day later. Give the guys a little time to answer.

It would also help if you included pictures.

I hope you did a good job sanding.

Mar 13, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 32
I don't have my digital camera with me at the moment but it's abit like this (lindrone's pic) but more frequent and dramatic. The sanding gone pretty well... It's only noticabe under very good lighting... Is there some type of coating I can apply to make it even better?

ath-a900.jpg

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 32
Zuerst

I got mine in just recently and it didnt even occur to me to check the build on the phones.. I was too busy listening to my music and doing burn in.

On looking at it though.. I noticed that the black plastic that the ear pads rest on are fine except on the back bottom sides.. about an inch and a half in length, there the plastic is wavy .. not smooth like on the rest of the earcup. Its the same way on both earcups. There isnt any plastic tags or extensions, but its definitely not like the rest of the build on the headphones.

Its almost like the plastic wasnt cooled (or perhaps overheated)when pulled away from the mold at that point.. very odd because the headphone build quality seems so nice in every other aspect.

I am just noting the flaw. Its not a bother and it doesnt effect the fit or the music, so it will be unlikely that I will let it bother me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am really liking these new phones, going from the Senn 497s to these A900s as you could probably imagine. They bring me to an audio world that has more depth, breadth and richness. The music has a new clarity and elegance that has me digging into my cd and vinyl collection for music I havent listened to in years.

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 32
Mine have the exact same problem on my earpads... I dont think it has to do anything with the plastic at all.. Its just the earpad not perfectly fitting onto the headphone. Dont worry about it at all!

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 32
My A900s have both of these flaws. The plastic bump is not even worth mentioning, and the rippling in your picture does not bother me as long as it doesn't affect the durability of the cans.

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 32
Mine has that aswell. It's really no big deal and I think you probably got a ****tier built one. Just sand it down with a 80 grit sandpaper, smooth it out with a 200 grit, and then smooth it more with a 500 grit. That should lessen the bumps sticking out.

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 32
I don't have the A900 but I must say that getting a new headphone with these cosmetical faults would annoy me quite a bit. I know they won't break sooner or sound worse because of that, but it would still ruin some of the joy of getting a new toy for me.

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 32
So there's people with little plastic drip as well? I'm debting wether to sell my current pair and get another... And it would really stinks if I got another one with the same defect. I'm the type of people that puts a lot of attention to details and this type of thing really bothers me. It's a shame too cause I really like the sound even just a few hours in...

Mar 13, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 32
Hmmm... Think I'm going to sell them off and contact Kohn to see if they can inspect the phones for me before they ship it and take the hit (Gotta love scholarship checks
biggrin.gif
). This type of things just bother me too much for it to be worth keeping.

Mar 13, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 32
I still dont see how your saying its the plastic, take the actual pad off and look at it underneith...Mine are perfect. Its just the way the pad is stiched or whatever to the material...

I dont see what the big deal is. Its just the way the phones are!

Edit: I just really hope that your not sanding the part where the puffy part of the pads turn smooth......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back