ATH-A900 down/upgrade to Grado Prestige Series?
Jul 5, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #16 of 24
The A900 just sounds too sharp when I turn the volume up on pop and certain kind of rock. Ideally, I would like another pair of headphones that would be the inverse of the A900: strong mid for vocal and electric guitar.

At the moment, I am thinking that I'll need the grados for rock, and 650 for certain classical pieces or pop songs where the A900 is too strong on the treble. However, that will involve £££ which I really don't want to get into yet. I am trying to not spend any more on headphones until both my Zhalou and A900 has been fully burnt in (had the zhalou 3 weeks ago, and the A900 since Mid-May) but my resistance is fading! (Especially I've heard the Grados 325i for about 10 minutes in an audio shop and thought they were amazing - but I suspect it's more of the CD players and the amp they had).

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #17 of 24
One day I'm going to lay out cans from Audio Technica, Grado and Sennheiser and do an ABC comparison. I haven't really thought of the A900 as having piercing highs though

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #18 of 24
Grados 325i are the most aggressive headphones I heard. They sound very good for fast well recorded rock or metal. HD600 will sound very good for not so well recorded music since IMHO they are much more forgiving. If you want very detailed and slightly dark headphones, try to find a AKG K340. They are about 25 years old, but with right amplification sound very musical and nice. The midrange is superb.

When I had HD600 I like them a lot, but they were slightly distant and not involving. Great headphones for relaxed listening, I had the same experience with AKG K280.

I use my A900 for jazz-rock, industrial and metal mostly. For classical and jazz I am really starting to switch over to K340 and QP85 (very deep soundstage).

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A900 just sounds too sharp when I turn the volume up on pop and certain kind of rock. Ideally, I would like another pair of headphones that would be the inverse of the A900: strong mid for vocal and electric guitar.

At the moment, I am thinking that I'll need the grados for rock, and 650 for certain classical pieces or pop songs where the A900 is too strong on the treble. However, that will involve £££ which I really don't want to get into yet. I am trying to not spend any more on headphones until both my Zhalou and A900 has been fully burnt in (had the zhalou 3 weeks ago, and the A900 since Mid-May) but my resistance is fading! (Especially I've heard the Grados 325i for about 10 minutes in an audio shop and thought they were amazing - but I suspect it's more of the CD players and the amp they had).

It may be your source. You should go try your A900's on the source you heard the 325i's.

Though Grado's are bright, I find my SR225's treble to have the most natural and energetic sounding treble. It's a far cry from some of the other "bright" headphones out there that make my ears cry.

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #20 of 24
I'm very interested in this discussion. Thank you all. I own Grado 60s and Audio Technica SR7s. I am also interested in hearing/buying the AT AD700 or AD900s, the open versions of the AT A700 and A900s. I listen to guitar blues, some rock, some jazz, and some alternative. In general, I prefer the ES7s to the SR60s. They are more balanced, rock well, but don't wear me out like the Grados.

Anyone out there compare the Grado sound to the AD700-900 series?

Mooch

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #21 of 24
I don't intend on purchasing an amp any time soon, and my budget is purely for headphones that can be powered from a Zune/audigy 2 zs.
I don't care for soundstage, I just want INYOURFACE kind of presentation.
My only issue right now is where along the Grado line I should start. I definitely need a demo of somewhere along the line. There's a hi-fi centre a few blocks away from my work that I'll check out when I have the chance.

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 24
@ moocher, check televator's earlier post.
On another note, I love the Zune as a source unamped.

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't intend on purchasing an amp any time soon, and my budget is purely for headphones that can be powered from a Zune/audigy 2 zs.
I don't care for soundstage, I just want INYOURFACE kind of presentation.

blink.gif

With that in mind go for SR80. You will like them a lot.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back