ATH-A900 down/upgrade to Grado Prestige Series?
Jul 5, 2007 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

judas391

500+ Head-Fier
Anyways, I am largely unsatisfied by the lack of punch provided by my Audio Technica A900s. According to headphonereviews.org however, they provide more punch than the SR60/80s(?). I don't know if I'm reading the ratings wrong or whatever, but the bass impact of the A900s is rated higher than either of the grado cans.
Before reading this, I was 20 minutes away from ordering the 80s from ttvj.
I'm confused tons by this whole subject, any feeedback would be appreciated.

Should I buy the 80s (potential downgrade from the A900s) or save up money until the 225?
I have a job now too so I'm more open to spending my $$$.
Thanks guys

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 24
I think Grado SR80s may be a downgrade...

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 24
how would a $95 headphone not be a downgrade from the A900? maybe you could try the SR-60's, see if you like the sound coming out of those since they're not too expensive and see if you would wanna stick with the grados and upgrade to the 225 later. unless you have lots of money lying around i would try the SR-60's and sell them. i'm pretty sure there will be some1 to take them off ur hands. if not u can mod them for fun :p

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 24
I have the A900, SR-60 and MS2i... while I think the A900 is a very decent headphone and it serves its (limited) role very well for me, I don't think going from the A900 -> SR-80 would be a downgrade for me.

Heck, for me even going from the A900 -> SR-60 (+bowls) was a 'sidegrade' and not a downgrade. Just look at the headphones (all 'features' mentioned are for my ears/setup/head etc and should be interpreted as being more subtle than presented here of course):

SR-60/80:
- fun / in your face phone
- open as hell
- great for rock/metal
- clean and punchy bass (80 > 60)
- great mids and lower highs but the highs are kinda shrill according to some
- not known for its comfort (though I personally have no complaints about that at all)

A900:
- more laid back
- closed (though not with the best isolation)
- great for pop and even more laid back jazz and larger classical stuff
- more bass, but slightly flabby/muddy
- slightly nasal sounding, honky and recessed mids
- said to offer very good (the best except for Denon and perhaps Beyer) comfort (though I personally do not really like their feel on my head)

I would definitely call the grado's more 'impactful' (read 'in your face' and 'engaging' for rock/metal etc) though the A900 do offer more (but less clean) bass (but I'm not a bass-head anyway), but the main thing would be what you personally expect and need from this set of headphones...

I liked the grado sound more than the ATH, so I did a further upgrade in hat direction (MS2i)

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the A900, SR-60 and MS2i... while I think the A900 is a very decent headphone and it serves its (limited) role very well for me, I don't think going from the A900 -> SR-80 would be a downgrade for me.

Emphatic X2

I was going to offer a comparison between the two for you (I own both) but Televator saved me the trouble.

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 24
punch, bass, if you go for Grado (which is my advice) buy a flat pad from TTVJ, you'll have Amazing result
cool.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 24
Go for SR225's. The ATH-A900's are good headpones, and any Grado wouldn't be a downgrade to say. But something like the 225's imo would be an upgrade in resolution, whereas a SR60/80 would have the same resolve of the 900 with the Grado sound instead.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 24
Hey, thanks a lot guys, this is exactly what I had in mind. Even considering that a $95 headphone is as good as a $200 one is good enough for me. I think of the A900s as too laid-back for my taste, and yes they feel pretty good.
I'll try redo's advice and go for the 225's, I wouldn't be satisfied with something that would be basically a sidestep from the A900s
basshead.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 24
I heard both and disliked SR60 and SR80, for many different reasons. They are good for rock and that's about all they have going for them, IMHO. Very forward, in your face and painful headphones. A900 I like a lot, more detailed and refined sound, better soundstage, and this a closed headphone we are talking about. Grados are way too aggressive and very unpleasant and have one big problem no soundstage. I think SR60-80 is a downgrade for sure, a big one. I would take even ATH-SJ5 over Grado.
smily_headphones1.gif
But as they say, different strokes for different folks.

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 24
Mmm faust, I think I'll keep the A900s and buy the 225's. Seeing as you like jazz and are "team Audio-Technica," I'm not too sure that our interests coincide
smily_headphones1.gif

When I get the 225s I'll let everyone know how I compare the two.

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 24
I am facing the same situation as judas391 as well. At the moment I have the A900, and although I love it for films, and its Jazz performance is simply amazing, its performance in rock feels lacking. The treble can sometimes be too piecing as well.

Atm I am thinking whether I should head for more layback headphones, e.g. Senn HD650, or more upfront headphones, e.g. Grado 325i. Since I live in the UK, both headphones cost about the same (The grado I'll have to import from America).

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 24
Senns are more laidback than the A900s, use your ATs for movies (soundstage) and forget the Senns. I tried the 555's and was plenty bored

Users who are viewing this thread

Back