ATH A500's are here
Feb 14, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #17 of 23
I just took a look at the picture that was listed as a defect....and mine's looks like that too...is it really a defect or is that just part of the design?

I also noticed that these headphones are bass shy when listening to hip-hop and rock/alternative.

Feb 14, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #18 of 23
i doubt it's a defect -- when i look closely at the curls/bumps on mine, there seems to be a pattern of "ridges", which i think means that the black leatherlike covering is heat-treated to stick onto a plastic base which has this pattern of ridges.
hope that alleviates some of your worries
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by kcits
i doubt it's a defect -- when i look closely at the curls/bumps on mine, there seems to be a pattern of "ridges", which i think means that the black leatherlike covering is heat-treated to stick onto a plastic base which has this pattern of ridges.
hope that alleviates some of your worries
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmmm, I think I mentioned that it looked like a "cheap heat-weld job" in my original post. That it doesn't affect the sound does alleviate my disappointment somewhat. But I still can't but help feel that $99 should have gotten me better quality considering that there are many examples of cans costing less with better build.

Feb 14, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Gallaine
Hmmm, I think I mentioned that it looked like a "cheap heat-weld job" in my original post. That it doesn't affect the sound does alleviate my disappointment somewhat. But I still can't but help feel that $99 should have gotten me better quality considering that there are many examples of cans costing less with better build.

My A900s have the same blemish on the right earcup. Doesn't bother me because I really don't think it's going to come apart.

Feb 14, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #21 of 23
I recieved an email from Kohn at Audiocubes today to reassure me that this is not a defect. He was very helpfull about the situation explaining that if there was a defect, the phones could be replaced.
On the subject of sound, I continue to be impressed. The bass has tightened up considerably and vocal colorations diminished.
Midrange detail is easier to hear than with the HD600 and the bass not as bloated. Highs sound clear and clean but I'm no longer qualified to measure extension due to my moderate high frequency hearing loss.
Remember, this is without an amp till the new Meta arrives ( drool ).
Overall is this headphone as accurate as the Sennheiser? No, but is it more fun? Yes IMOP. More dynamic, better rythym, more comfortable to me, and for $99 you'll be hard pressed to find better.
Anyway I decided yesterday to bite the bullet and go for the W1000's. I'm liking the AT sound so more must be better, right?
I also like the level of isolation which allows you to enjoy music at low levels without hearing too much background noise and still be able to hear phones etc.
cool.gif

Feb 14, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #22 of 23
HI:Overall is this headphone as accurate as the Sennheiser? No, but is it more fun? What you just said seems to have taken me years to fine out. Yes there are better and more accurate headphones and amps out there but are they fun to listen to? After all these years I fine that I would rather listen to a fun musical sound from my headphones and amp over a more accurate sounding headphone or amp. I realize that fun is a great way to enjoy my music and now I only use headphones and amp that do just that. Make my music experience fun and enjoyable. Good Luck with your new stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back