ATH A500's are here
Feb 12, 2003 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

tigger

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I'm sitting here listening to my new Audio Technica ATH A500's which bt the way got here ( Canada ) in 6 business days. Paid no tax or duty cause they were shown as a gift valued at $20. The shipping cost $14, so we're talking $114 delivered to my door. Pretty good value I think.
First impresions;

Looks; big but well built for the money. I don't have any complaints at this price. Nice looks and nice cord. They look more expensive than $99.

Sound; This is very early ( 3 CD's ) and no amp till my new Meta 42 arrives. Straight out of the Panasonic SL-SW890 they sound very good. Smooth and punchy with just a little bass boominess, but I'm expecting this to be reduced after breakin. Voices are not as neutral as the Senn 600's but they have other endearing qualities like somehow conveying emotion better. Highs to my old ears are reasonably extended and smooth. They are very position sensitive as to exactly how you place them on your head. Small changes in position affect the sound noticeably and I haven't figured out the best position yet.

Comfort; Light and comfortable with less clamping pressure than ths Senns. The earpads are pleather and not as pleasant feeling as HD600's but not bad either. Certainly better than Grados!

I know there are better cans out there but these are a great bang for the buck. I was looking for more punch than the Senn's and I found it. Can't help wondering what the ATH A1000's are like though!
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, they have reasonable isolation too, and the PCDP has no problem driving them very loud.

In a nutshell, If I had to live with these things for the rest of my life I'd be OK. But I'd keep seeing ATH-A1000's in my dreams!

Next week I'll have an update on the AT's and first impressions on the AKG K501's I have coming. These will have to wait for the Meta though.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 23
Thanks. I saw your posts on Audiocubes and felt your frustration! I've had frustrations before from a certain European supplier! Any way I was afraid to order from Japan but they actually shipped the headphones right away and I tracked them all the way too my door.
So far so good. The experience has been smooth and the AT's are good value.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 23
Cool. I took delivery of my ATH-A500's last Friday. I'm using them with my Sony D25s portable at work. They are definitely very comfortable and despite the fact that the ear pads are pleather they aren't particulary hot either.

IMO the A500's are a bit darker than the Sony V6's. Paired with the D25s they also have a larger headstage and a more laid back presentation. I haven't done any direct comparisons or extensive listening yet but I think the A500's are a pretty good pair of cans soundwize.

I kind of disagree about the build quality though. I know I've been harping on that, but hey, I expect alot for my dollar. It makes me wonder if mine are defective. The area where the pad is connected to the shell is uneven and it looks like a cheap heat-weld job.

Feb 12, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 23
Gallaine- Do you mean around the edge of the pleather pads? Mine is like that too. I wonder if these headphones are 'b' stock.

If they are they should say so on the website. I think I'll email Khon!
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2003 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 23
Yes, the seam around the edge of the pleather pads.

I didn't mean to turn your moment of joy into a disappointment. I apologize if I did. These cans have really impressed me in terms of sound. I guess I was a little disappointed with the build given all the hype the "higher-end" models like the A900 and W1000 have received.

Feb 12, 2003 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 23
kcits

Does your sample have the earpad retainer warped around the edges? Looks as if it's heat related.
I emailed Khon at Audiocubes an got a quick reply stating that if I wished to return the phones , he would replace them. ****, I don't want to send them back. I just got the frappin' things. Any way I offered to take a digital picture if he can give me somewhere to send an attachment. The 'contact us' site at Audiocubes doesn't allow this.
I like these headphones, so we'll see what happens-----

Feb 12, 2003 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 23
Congrats tigger, it's good to hear the A500's are a decent pair of cans. I'm tempted given how much I'm liking my W100's to give them a try.

Keep us posted on how the sound after breakin.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 23
tigger, Quote:

Voices are not as neutral as the Senn 600's but they have other endearing qualities like somehow conveying emotion better.

I think you just described the ATH "energy" sound.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by tigger
kcits

Does your sample have the earpad retainer warped around the edges? Looks as if it's heat related.
I emailed Khon at Audiocubes an got a quick reply stating that if I wished to return the phones , he would replace them. ****, I don't want to send them back. I just got the frappin' things. Any way I offered to take a digital picture if he can give me somewhere to send an attachment. The 'contact us' site at Audiocubes doesn't allow this.
I like these headphones, so we'll see what happens-----

I don't think you need to get worried about this, unless it's definitely a defect (post some pics if you can?) Kohn's probably stressed out enough already, he's probably saying "If Lou makes another post I'm folding the company!"
evil_smiley.gif

Boomspeed.com allows for small images to be uploaded to sites.

Feb 13, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 23
Mine look worse
frown.gif
. I don't think it degrades the sound in anyway. I guess I just expected more in the way of build quality with all the recent exhuberance over the higher-end AT cans.

EDIT: I want to add that I really like the sound. It can be a little bass shy at times when compared to the Sony V6s but is nevertheless enjoyable to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back