At your normal listening level can you easily hold a conversation while listening to music?
Mar 26, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My listening level is low enough that any sort of noise is distracting, especially the exhaust fans in kitchens, TV, and any sort of spoken word directed at me.

same here

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #17 of 34
My headphones come equipped with a Do Not Disturb sign.

Conversations are taking place --------->

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 34
To some extend!
The K1000 is a open as they get, and I listen to quite low volumes. I can easily hear sounds around me (cars on the road, me tapping the keyboard, ..).

I still might be asking "what?" some times during a conversation, cause during sound passages I am sure some words would fall out.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 34
Depends.

I was going to leave that as my entire post, but I think I'll elaborate. I love low volume on classical and downtempo pieces, especially if I'm using my D1001s or trying to read or write while listening. Medium volume (about the same apparent loudness as a nearby acoustic guitar played with gusto would be) is great for most general listening through my 325i goldies, and is what I stick to 90% of the time. Sometimes, though, I need to induce low-level hearing damage to listen properly. Nightwish, Childen of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Tool... all these have made me want to pump it on occasion. I don't do it often (hearing damage
wink.gif
), but it's a treat every once in a while to get blown away by the music.

So my answer would be "always fiddling with the volume knob".
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #20 of 34
I can easily make out what's going on in the next room: cutlery, oven, conversations.
It's at these volumes I find music to sound the best. Pumping up the volume on a fragile violin solo just doesn't sound right.

When walking the streets on the other hand, then I want pounding rhythm, so the volume goes up.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 34
I usually use the 'phones on the train. So the background noise makes me turn them up louder than I would if there was no background noise.

Bob

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #26 of 34
When I'm listening in a quiet place, such as my bedroom or living room or in class, I listen at lower volumes. I can have a conversation in these situations.

When on the subway, on a busy street, or skateboarding, I listen at a higher volume so that I can hear the music. In these situations I can have a conversation, but it's difficult. But in these cases I'm typically listening through earbuds, so I can just pop one out and open an ear up to give better attention.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #28 of 34
With my porta-pros, it was always dropping volume and bringing it back. With these Sony V900HD's, not a single chance. But these are closed cans--so it's the isolation element.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #30 of 34
I listen to my music to he point where I can hear if someone comes up behind me to ask a question, but I would have to pause or take one IEM out to actually hold a conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back