At which point does your headphone rotation become a headphone collection?
Jul 6, 2007 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

NoPants

1000+ Head-Fier
my non-headphile friend asked me after I showed her a picture of fitz's collection:

"what the hell does one need all those headphones for"

And I couldn't answer her with a decent answer haha

But I got around to wondering myself...

I've been buying up headphones since before those fs forum rules went up, dashing any chances I had of simply "trying out stuff" and I amassed a collection that doesn't even come close to the number of phones in fitz's collection, or many other member's for that matter. Even then, there were definitely some headphones that weren't getting enough attention at certain times...whether it was a matter of being lazy or genuine neglect, I don't know.

I figured I'd throw the question to anyone else around here. Where do you draw the line between listening to multiple headphones and collecting them? Do listening encompass "once in a blue moon"? Etc. Etc. sky's the limit. Anyon'es input is appreciated.

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 31
It wasnt a rotation for Fitz. He simply bought one, like the sound, bought another, and then started to collect. He as like 4 K240s I think, his favourite.

A collection is when you have multiples of one headphone, and/or a large variety of headphones from one manufacture, ie, Fitz. A rotation is when you have a variaty of headphones, like Grado SR325is, Senn HD650s, Stax 202s, Shure E500s, AKG K601's, and on.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 31
I say you become a collector when the headphone that you purchase really has no use for it to ever be in rotation due either lesser performance in comparison to another can, or extremely similar performance. (i.e. two pairs of RS-1's, or a K401 and K501)

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 31
i listen to/use all my gear. if something doesn't get use, it goes in the FS forum. so i only purchase gear for functional, practical reasons. if on the other hand you purchase gear for the mere sake of having it, regardless of how much or how little you use it, then you are a collector. and of course most people fall somewhere in the middle.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 31
first mistake you made was showing a girl this website

why do i have some many headphones? they all sound and fit differently
but the extra hd580 is so i can bring one to college and keep one nice

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first mistake you made was showing a girl this website

why do i have some many headphones? they all sound and fit differently
but the extra hd580 is so i can bring one to college and keep one nice

so much truth I can't take it lol

I like the idea of two 580s although it seems incredibly wasteful haha

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 31
I have multiple because they sound different and they are good for different application as well (cheap ones for regular use/exercise, IEMs for travel, other expensive ones for serious listening.)

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 31
Oh, I'm a big "one can" kind of guy, right now. I guess I have one for portable and one for home, ER4p and 580s respectively, but getting a new can means selling an old one for me. I like buying and selling, I guess.

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #11 of 31
According to law the actual rule is 10 headphones.

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There. Settled. Esthetix has consulted the law.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Genius. I will never have a collection then!

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 31
i'm surprised no one mentioned the season or weather.
i don't have A/C so i use different cans in for hotter days and cooler climate.
during the summer, i don't use my e3cs as my portable cans, i use them at home so my ears aren't covered and i stay cool while still getting good sound.

i think for those of us who have jobs, three cans is the bare minimum, no? one for home, one for portable use and one for the office. i like a little variety so i double up everything, heh. my current "collection"/rotation:

home: HD600/e3c
office: HD 280 Pro/KSC 75
portable: MX400/PX100

most of them are really cheap (well relatively) and accumulated over time (three years) so it didn't real hurt my pockets. right now i have no immediate headphone plans. still saving and working on upgrading my amp and sources first. i'm satisfied with what i have right now although upgradetitis is always lurking and i have to be vigilant to keep it at bay.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #15 of 31
I never intended to begin a collection, it sort of evolved and other than selling three I've found much to love when returning to any of those I've kept.

As far as the one vs many debate, which I've had within myself; I find I listen to the strenths of each phone and that is a wonderful variety to the music presented, rather than what is lacking in its sonic portrait in some search for perfection, which seems a maddening chore...

I can agree with most of the definitions above between "collection" and "in rotation"... In my case, my collection of diferently voiced instruments all have utility!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back