At what point do headphones become too nice for MP3 and no DAC?
May 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed that most people with nice headphones have some sort of digital to audio converter and amplifier and claim to use FLAC files. Personally, I just listen to MP3 and use a portable amp for my AKG K240, or just use my Sony V6 straight out of my iPod. Would it defeat the purpose of nice headphones to use nice ones on, say, my FiiO E11 with MP3?

May 24, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 10
IMO, it depends on the devices and how you combine them, and also for what purpose. If it is for use with an ipod/mp3 player I would say the E11 is not a bad choice (and it of course won't muffle the music) as long as it has enough juice to power your headphones. Some expensive phones do not require an expensive amp (think about more expensive Grados, yes they would sound better on a $500 tube amp but they also perform very well from a budget portable amp). As for FLAC vs MP3, you have to try and judge for yourself. I would say having FLAC is nice but if you're happy with higher MP3 quality and cannot tell the differences through the source then there's no need to go for FLAC.

May 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 10
The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of upgrading to the akg q701 or something else around the 200 dollar price range. I'd mainly use my AKG K240 out of my amplifiers (see my signature).  I listen to all sorts of softer rock music out of MP3. I really want to return these AKG K240 and get something nice, except I I don't know what to get. I also listen to a lot of extremely brutal music in terms of heaviness, poor quality production and compressed recording quality. 

May 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
I noticed that most people with nice headphones have some sort of digital to audio converter and amplifier and claim to use FLAC files.

I have several pairs of what I guess are nice headphones. I listen to FLAC files. But, I also listen to MP3's. Don't be fool by those who say there's always a difference between MP3, CD, and FLAC. A good MP3 of almost anything will sound every bit as good as the CD original. (Of course, lossless files always sound exactly like the original. I rip to FLAC mostly because that's what I did before I learned the truth about MP3.)

Personally, I just listen to MP3 and use a portable amp for my AKG K240, or just use my Sony V6 straight out of my iPod. Would it defeat the purpose of nice headphones to use nice ones on, say, my FiiO E11 with MP3?

Or course not. And don't put any stock in the widespread myths that many, many ordinary headphones require an big or powerful or expensive amplifier. It's quite possible a reasonable amplifier (as compared to a poor amplifier or one unsuitable for a particular set of 'phones) will improve the sound of some pair of headphones; it's just that it's not always true.

May 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

I have several pairs of what I guess are nice headphones. I listen to FLAC files. But, I also listen to MP3's. Don't be fool by those who say there's always a difference between MP3, CD, and FLAC. A good MP3 of almost anything will sound every bit as good as the CD original. (Of course, lossless files always sound exactly like the original. I rip to FLAC mostly because that's what I did before I learned the truth about MP3.)

Or course not. And don't put any stock in the widespread myths that many, many ordinary headphones require an big or powerful or expensive amplifier. It's quite possible a reasonable amplifier (as compared to a poor amplifier or one unsuitable for a particular set of 'phones) will improve the sound of some pair of headphones; it's just that it's not always true.

What about the AKG q701? Would that sound just as good out of my amplifiers as my AKG K240?

May 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
What about the AKG q701? Would that sound just as good out of my amplifiers as my AKG K240?

I don't have any experience with the Q701 or K240 (there are also several variants of AKG K240 with different impedances and sensitivities) but if the Q701 is close to the K701 in both transparency and power demand then I would suggest using a different amp than the E11 if you want to get the best out of them. I used to own the K701 and it sounded congested driven by the E11. It was not terrible (especially if you switch the E11 to high power mode by both the inside switch and the outside gain switch) but the headphones can obviously sound better than that. They also benefit greatly from a good DAC. Again, this is only my experience with the K701.

May 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 10
If your K240 is the modern version, you should already be getting A LOT out of it. Not the most, but very close - at least up to the point where high quality mp3s are noticeably comparable to low quality mp3s.
K240s are quite good at revealing details, but a tad sluggish if the music is very busy. 

May 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

1. The Q701 has a reputation for requiring more current than most dynamic headphones. Check the E11 specs before buying if you're concerned. The K240 may be easier to drive. Personally, I've used the Sennheiser HD-650 with the tiny E5 with quite good results.

2. Regardless of the amp you use, the K240 sounds better than the Q701 if you think it does; otherwise, it doesn't. My only experience with any AKG was a few hours listening to the K702 (which should be similar to the Q701.) While the performance was good, it wasn't "my cup of tea". My tastes probably differ from yours.

I wish I could be more helpful.

May 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 10
You might want to consider looking into the V-Moda M-80 (for portable use it is exceptional in many ways and with my E11 it is yummy). There are many great choices for portable, but given that you can get your hands on a used M-80 for about $100 the price/performance ratio is very, very good. If your willing to spend a tad more the M-100 can double for your main and portable headphone. The problem is within the $200-$300 price range there are many solid contenders. I think a high quality lossy file (i.e 320 mp3, Apple M4a) can sound great and you would be very hard pressed to hear the difference most of the time, but there are places where compression can show up, but it is rare and usually minor, at least when considering very casual, non-critical listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back