at what bit rate/sample rate do you encode?
Dec 9, 2004 at 11:35 AM Post #46 of 75
Just upgraded my LAME 3.9 to 3.96.1, wow big difference. I thought wma sounded better until today. I use the --preset standard setting. its great and averages smaller than a 192kbps file.

Dec 9, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #47 of 75
My ripping/encoding is in a pretty weird phase. I'm building a music library on my music server, the ripped music is stored in lossless FLAC and then transcoded to LAME 3.90.3 -APS MP3 in the same server. However, the music server is currently only used for archiving and my portable DAP is an MD player with music mostly in SP, partly in LP2.

Strange, eh?

Dec 9, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #49 of 75
Apple Lossless only.

I can hear the difference when I switch to AAC or MP3 encoding. I figure, what's the point of spending $399 on an iPod unless you're going to max out its audio capabilities? I have the 40 GB 3G variety and the 100 ALAC-encoded albums I can fit on there is enough for me. YMMV.

I bought two 250 GB external hard drives so I could store my entire CD library on them. Being able to stream ALAC to my stereo is great! A DAC and some jitter reduction would make it even better, but my wallet is still recovering from my headphones purchases.

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #50 of 75
i have just encoded my first cd with eac and lame, following this guide www.bestmp3guide.com .
now i have a question. i use " alt preset standart" as most of you suggest, but what bitrate should i use? for my first cd i used 192kbit/s, but when i play the mp3s in winamp the bitrate doesnt seem to be constant but is alternating between higher and lower bitrates!? is ths normal or have i messed something up ?
thanks in advance!

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #51 of 75
I use Musicmatch 7.5 produce 200+ kbps VBR files (have had issues with other versions). Sure, laugh if you want
tongue.gif
....I've compared with EAC/Lame and they're equal on my equipment. It's speedy and I use MM's tag editing tool and library function anyways...so there it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisk
i have just encoded my first cd with eac and lame, following this guide www.bestmp3guide.com .
now i have a question. i use " alt preset standart" as most of you suggest, but what bitrate should i use? for my first cd i used 192kbit/s, but when i play the mp3s in winamp the bitrate doesnt seem to be constant but is alternating between higher and lower bitrates!? is ths normal or have i messed something up ?
thanks in advance!

That is normal. The VBR function will use bitrates as it needs to achieve the level you specified. Depending upon the song, bitrates may fluctuate wildly.

Less "busy" songs with more space between notes will result in lower final reported VBR rates, while more complex tunes will come in at higher levels. Every song is different, therefore you'll see lots of different bitrates resulting from your settings.

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #52 of 75
thanks for reply.
i have also some other mp3s that i didnt encode myself, they have a fixed bitrate, it doesnt fluctuate at all. how do i make those?
just want to be sure that everything is alright before i put more effort into it
cool.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #55 of 75
Quote:

thanks for reply.
i have also some other mp3s that i didnt encode myself, they have a fixed bitrate, it doesnt fluctuate at all. how do i make those?
just want to be sure that everything is alright before i put more effort into it
cool.gif

Why would you want those? Variable bitrate (VBR) MP3s are better quality than constant bitrate (CBR) MP3s (save for LAME -api).

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #59 of 75
Quote:

Variable bitrate (VBR) MP3s are better quality than constant bitrate (CBR) MP3s (save for LAME -api).

thats what i wanted to hear
wink.gif

so there is no point in chosing a bitrate when i use "alt preset standart"!?

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #60 of 75
Quote:

thats what i wanted to hear
wink.gif

so there is no point in chosing a bitrate when i use "alt preset standart"!?

That is right. The bitrate in EAC configuration actually does nothing when a commandline encoder is used (like in this case with LAME).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back