AT M50S jack replacement botched!
Jan 16, 2012 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jP24

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I recently attempted a DIY replacement of the 3.5mm jack on my AT M50s and all seemed to go well. I used the radioshack gold plated 3.5mm jack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103400 and connected the green wire to the end(im assuming this is ground) red to the middle(right audio) and black to the tip (left audio). Now when I listen to the audio sound does come out of both sides. However, there is a VERY noticeable difference in audio quality between the left and right. Namely, the right is much lower in volume than the left. I don't really know what I have done wrong. I've redone it a few times with the same result. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Perhaps it would be easier for me to just replace the cable completely? I have read on here that a few people have completely recabled their M50s and honestly I wouldn't mind the added portability. Keep in mind though I would like to avoid soldering completely just because I have never done it before. However, I mean, I suppose I should learn sometime right?

Thank you so much guys.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 4

Well...              been a long, long, long time since I did any cable repairs. So could be way off the mark.

Might vary but in my case when I've done repairs green was used for signal not ground, it was red/green for signal and I believe either clear or no enamel on the ground.

That is in my case and may vary by manufacturer.

That could be your problem. Although might help for an M50 owner to confirm or refute this.

Might I suggest if you have enough spare, make a TRS pigtail with stripped ends, strip the ends of your headphone cable and just neatly temporarily twist them together with red and green for signal, black for ground and see if the issue goes away Be careful or just put a little bit of electrical tape to stop shorting/hold the joint together a little while testing.

Disclaimer: I may be 110% wrong, it's just a thought, proceed at your own risk.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back