At last I got ASIO to work in Foobar 9 with Vista
May 5, 2008 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mikeb

100+ Head-Fier
I have a RME 93/32 soundcard and a EMU 0404usb external soundcard that I use with Foobar 9.5.2 and Vista and up till now have not been able to get ASIO to work with either, DS and KS worked fine, I then came across by accident in the Preferences-playback-output-asio virtual devices a button called 'add new' I hit this button and found I could add both the RME and EMU asios to the list and after configuring the two digital outputs for left and right both now work perfectly. This may help some others who have also experienced problems with vista and asio when using foobar.

May 6, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Having read the DAC1 USB thread, I'm no longer using ASIO4All with Vista and Foobar. Just plain old DS seems to be the cleanest option. (...based on what I read but it's the Internet so it must be true, right?
wink.gif
)

May 6, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having read the DAC1 USB thread, I'm no longer using ASIO4All with Vista and Foobar. Just plain old DS seems to be the cleanest option. (...based on what I read but it's the Internet so it must be true, right?
wink.gif
)

I never got ASIO4ALL to work on Vista with Foobar. I use ASIO2KS now instead, and it works wonderfully!

May 7, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 5
could you tell the difference between the RME and the emu ? i am trying to by a sound-card , and the rme was in the list , so i appreciate your review on this
and sorry about my english

May 7, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 5
Both these devices offer excellent sound quality using foobar and their own ASIO plugins (no need to use ASIOALL for these devices), I initially had a problem as mentioned previously in getting either to work using ASIO with vista but eventually solved this by going to the 'add' box in the ASIO menu foobar (no problems with using these devices and ASIO in XP where foobar has a slightly different layout which didn't help me) and managed to add both devices to the list and both now work well after assigning their left/right channels (neither worked with ASIOALL previously in vista). I would say at the moment that the RME 9632 is the best option for sound quality and offers a greater range of adjustments, I also think RME offers better driver support than EMU. The EMU is however very close in sound quality and can also be used albeit in a rather limited way without a computer being switched on as a headphone driving device or dac, so it depends which is the most suitable as to your intended use, by the way both have excellent headphone outputs and can be configured to run up 192khz if required. It should be bourne in mind that the RME new price is around 3 times the EMU, although I bought both mine secondhand at around £100 for the RME (bargain at this price) and £80 for the EMU, both units in excellent condition. I don't think you will be dissappointed with the sound if you bought either of the two soundcards both are excellent and have now mad my Mcintosh CD player virtually redundant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back