AT LAST..... an inline LCD remote for iPod
May 10, 2009 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

BIGHMW

100+ Head-Fier
Griffin Technology: Navigate - Inline Controller and FM Radio for iPhone and iPod

Well Apple, you're a few years too late.... Sony already won the battle over versatility for their DAP's years ago when MiniDisc and CD Walkmen started coming out with remotes (first non-LCD and then later with LCD display) for their units back in the mid-90s, but enjoy.

Now you iPod users can stash your player in your pocket and not wear out that click-wheel on it (and also prevent the eventual theft of your unit) and simply use this and a pair of your favorite short-corded phones/buds/IEM's with it.

May 10, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 25
Good call.

I have been using inline remotes, especially the LCD units like my RM-MC40ELK (or any other LCD display RM-MC**) remote for years, ever since I got my first portable MD Walkman (MZ-R50) back in 1998, and indeed you are right, these are pretty much a vital addition to your DAP, not taking the risk of having your favorite unit get broken/worn out/stolen of something like that.

I am glad to see that iPod, iRiver (and pretty soon others) users finally have an option that Sony users have had for years, plus I won several NW-HD5 units and those had the tendancy of the four-button function switch (the one surrounding the play/pause button in the middle) breaking off or cracking at the corners with over-excessive use (the one I bought used that I currently use right now, already had that happen on two of the corners that was caused by the previous owner) In addition to that one, I also own a couple of N.O.S. U.S.-market HD5's and also some units I bought for parts, and I try to keep the units I do use in top shape, even if they didn't come to me that way. One way that i do that, is by using a remote instaed of the onboard buttons.

May 10, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 25
As shown you would loose the ability to use a line out to feed an external amp. This may be an issue with a few users here, but not for the general type user for which this gear is intended.

May 10, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 25
About Apple have inline LCD remote.

Quote:

As shown you would loose the ability to use a line out to feed an external amp

Not on H140. tee hee. You still get headphone through remote plus line in/out.

May 10, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 25
I was waiting for this too and it's a great idea, but unfortunately the implementation sucks in one big way. The audio from the iPod/iPhone isn't passed directly through but must (apparently) pass through some kind of amp because the Navigate adds a lot of noise to the signal. It's blatantly obvious on something sensitive like an SE530 but I can't imagine anyone concerned with audio quality would find it acceptable on anything else either. I really can't see how the engineers who designed this thing could ever consider it acceptable, but I guess it might not be noticeable with cheap earbuds so they called it good enough.

A real shame because in most other respects the Navigate is a great product. Perhaps the problem will be fixed in a future hardware revision.

May 10, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where was this coming from? I didnt know the H140 was the topic here?

Wanna add other countless DAPs as well?
rolleyes.gif

May 11, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never understood the use of remotes. It seems to me it's just extra bulk, and not much easier than taking your player out of your pocket to change songs.

Pretty much. It either fits in your pocket which is completely useless, or you have to clip it somewhere or let it dangle, which is incredibly annoying for IEMs.

May 11, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much. It either fits in your pocket which is completely useless, or you have to clip it somewhere or let it dangle, which is incredibly annoying for IEMs.

Not as annoying as having to remove the player from your pocket and look at the touchscreen to change a track (as you do on the Touch or iPhone.) And I'm not sure what remote you are using but all of the ones I've ever owned couldn't even be felt once clipped to my shirt.

May 11, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About Apple have inline LCD remote.

Once again you continue with your mindless and worthless thread crapping. It does not matter what the subject is all you can do is say mean things. Man get a life and take a few happy pills.

BTW, welcome to my ignore list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

rolleyes.gif

He has nothing to add, but he loves to be the center of attention. If you check his posts he criticizes w/o adding any value to the discussion.

May 11, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 25
I would get this, but sadly, I would be using Super.fi 5s and they are extremely sensitive.
Also, if I am using my Touch (only use for high quality stuff), I would be using my Lod/amp combo.

Good idea though for people who use iBuds and don't want to take the touch out of their pocket to change songs.

May 11, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 25
I wont be using it myself, but couldn't those diy inclined, be able to come up with an ipod dock splitter? i.e. piggy back a female ipod dock onto the lod, feed the lod into the amp and headphones from amp, then feed the inline remote into the female dock connector?

I bet there is some way round it even if my suggestion is impractical/impossible.

May 11, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

rolleyes.gif

This is about Apple, and how they are years behind and still not designing products right. Considering they're the biggest makers of MP3 players, they should be on the right path. But no. If I worked at the R&D dept at Apple I'd get every single DAP lay them in front of me and take the best ideas from them. Even the LOD cable is fragile so can't even use that for portable.

I've used line out/optical out whilst using the remote control.

Not my fault ipod owners get all grumpy, I'm just saying it how I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back