AT ESW9A vs. Beyer T50p (impressions forthcoming!)
Dec 8, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #16 of 27
"Oh, and I said before that I could always keep one pair and sell the other, but that just isn't going to happen.  It's perfectly acceptable to have a favorite
ph34r.gif
 Japanese and a favorite
beerchug.gif
 German restaurant."

haha, I'll drink a beer to that! 
atsmile.gif

Quote:
We have a sickness gents...lol.  The restaurant analogy is very true...except many times with food I can accept a less than perfect meal, and with audio I'm always chasing elusive nirvana...

I'm doing that snobby eliteist audiophile thing right now and listening to a FLAC rip of Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" on the J3 with the Beyers, and...
L3000.gif
 it's one of those moments of pure trancendant joy, when everything comes together...a fantastic recording, a brilliant performance, a great file/media/rip, awesome hardware, and stellar cans (the Beyers, not Dianas, lol).  I'm very much NOT a jazz fan, but my god, I could melt into this recording.  The T50p's still have a long ways to go as far as being settled in...there's a hint of sibilance in the upper registers of some notes, bass is shy, but the mids are fantastic!  There's detail and speed and clarity that I've never encountered before...the brushes on the snare on "Maybe You'll Be There" for example: it's not just a "shush"ing noise, you can hear the difference when the drummer changes direction.  Instrument placement is spot perfect.  The natural reverb of the venue adds much dimensionality that the Beyers capture beautifully. The hammers falling on the strings in her piano and the transients...wow to all of it. 

I'd listen to it all again with the AT's but they are in a room that I have a guest sleeping in at the moment, so I can't do a back and forth comparison at this time unfortunately.  Much more to come later. 

Oh, and I said before that I could always keep one pair and sell the other, but that just isn't going to happen.  It's perfectly acceptable to have a favorite
ph34r.gif
 Japanese and a favorite
beerchug.gif
 German restaurant.

Dec 8, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #17 of 27
Great to hear that you are loving them!
Now I have to deal with whether I want the HD25-1 as my portable cans... or the T50p. Can I like two German restaurants with two distinctive styles? :xf_eek:

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 27
Going to have to put the impressions on hold...they Beyers died after one day of use.  Right side driver just stopped working. 
triportsad.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #19 of 27
A rather painless resolution to the dead T50p's...I contacted Earphone Solutions for a replacement, but they are out of stock and referred me to Pete Carini at Beyerdynamic US.  I told him what happened, and he said no problem at all, just send them to him and he'll replace immediately.  Nice change of pace from the usual route, where you ship something back, wait for them to check it out, and either repair or replace at their discretion without any sort of timeframe.  Great customer service from Beyer!

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #20 of 27
STILL waiting on news of the Beyers...shipped them via three day UPS, they arrived last Thursday.  Called Pete, left a VM.  No reply.  Sent him an email on Thursday, letting him know they arrived at his location, and that if possible I'd really like to get them before I leave for Xmas on the 24th.  No reply.  My guess is they will get sent out some time this week, maybe...and then get stolen off my front porch while I'm gone for a week.  Awesome.

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 27
Actually, it worked out great...Pete emailed me today and said that he'd get them out tomorrow morning with delivery by the 23rd.  I really appreciate him taking care of this in this manner...SO happy they'll make it for Christmas.

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 27
Looking forward to your continued thoughts and to the return of the Beyers. I love both earphones, but for different reasons. In the end, I went for the ES10 rather than either because: price and overall sound signature is a good compromise in some ways between the two.

cheers

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 27
Well, since this is going to be a comparison thread (eventually), I will note that I've been using my ESW9A's quite a bit lately, and I'm really liking them a lot.  Completely polar opposite sound from the T50p's (but I only had about an hour with them, lol).  The AT's are darker, slower, and much more forgiving of source material than the Beyers.  At first they sounded a little dull and thick, but as I've put more hours on them they are beginning to tighten up and become more detailed and musical.  Soundstage is rather up-front and not particularly expansive, but isn't flat or narrow by any stretch, just very "studio" feeling, as opposed to "stadium".  It's a very intimate sound signature that works well with vocals and acoustic music. I'm running them unamped from the J3 (FLAC files mostly, and podcasts in various bitrates) and they sound fantastic, considering they are portables run off a portable source.  Comfortwise they feel great...the leather headband and plush leather cups are nice and soft, and they can swivel a bit to sit flatly on the ears.  More to come.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
Can you give a brief few sentence comparison about soundstage/imaging and positioning? tks

Sure, but I'll have to get back to you on that...still burning/breaking lots of stuff in, and listening off and on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back