At an impass. Audioengine A5+ or alternatives
May 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ZeroDrift

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

Seeking some guidance for an audio system.  Years past some Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speakers met my needs quite nicely, but the Bash amp died and I decided to try something newer.  At the time Audioengine was receiving some great reviews, so I gave em a try.  They were honestly lacking when compared to my set of Klipsch speakers but were suitable enough to live with.  I've owned the original Audioengine A5 speakers for about a year before they had some trouble.  Customer support has been great and sent out replacements promptly.  The replacement set just didn't cut it in the sound department.  After breaking them in for ~70 hours, they just seem very lacking compared to my original set, so Audioengine has recently sent out the A5+ set in exchange.  I'm becoming a little weary of some of their speakers as I fear this is a quality control issue.

Here is my predicament.  Do I open the replacement speaker set and try em out or, am I better off selling the replacement set and opting for another system that is better?  I primarily use the speakers for music and the occasional movie.  Overall clarity is really important to me as well as something that doesn't fatigue the ears. 

Options that I have briefly looked into:
-KRK Rocket series
-Adam A3X
-Some sort of home receiver w/ separate speakers

I am very mechanically inclined and am capable of building speaker cabinets and crossovers.  However I don't know of any plans that I could follow to build something that is going to meet my needs.  Any thoughts or guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Budget can vary depending upon how flexible the system is, but ideally something in the sub $600 range to start with.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 5
Go with studio monitors if you want "top shelf" audio quality. They are quite big and require a lot of cables.

Go with Audioengine if you don't mind paying a little extra for a little more simplicity.

Go with audio/video receiver if you have a big room or plan to take advantage of surround sound.

The only computer speakers that have impressed me with audio quality and ease of use is the Corsair SP2500. Go with that if the above options are too expensive or complicated.

I have tried many solutions and those are my conclusions.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Go with studio monitors if you want "top shelf" audio quality. They are quite big and require a lot of cables.

Go with Audioengine if you don't mind paying a little extra for a little more simplicity.

Go with audio/video receiver if you have a big room or plan to take advantage of surround sound.

The only computer speakers that have impressed me with audio quality and ease of use is the Corsair SP2500. Go with that if the above options are too expensive or complicated.

I have tried many solutions and those are my conclusions.

Thank you for the response.  I searched for alternatives with little luck for a quick solution. Decided to try out the replacement set of speakers from Audioengine.  Thankfully this new set is much better than the last replacement set.  Still breaking the speakers in, but there is no low volume noise/static and the mids are already much more crisp and clear!  So far so good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back