Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #17 of 734
Can you apply the dolby headphones when going digital out?

EDIT: Does it actually have dolby headphoens?

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #18 of 734
Yeah it has digital out and you should be able to apply dolby headphones later in the chain, but this might mean using inferior capacity of U3 soundcard for the rest of processing instead of fancy U7 hardware. It doesn't have dolby headphones, what it does have is Dolby Home theather 4.

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #20 of 734
i dont think so... sorry

just for info, why would you want this anyways?

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #23 of 734
Quote:
I Like to listen movies on loud and my wife lukea more quiet sound so i can be on headphones and wife on speakers :blush:

ah, this actualy makes perfect sense :D how about a volume adjusting headphone splitter?

Edit: what i do, is just run subtitles, so if something is not loud enough for me, i can read what is happening :D

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #24 of 734
Quote:
According to the box "Headphone Amplifier (impedance): 32-150 ohm" isn't that somewhat poor? I mean personally I think many headphones up to 80ohms even sound great on smartphones....

if you have headphones above 150ohm, you are not the target market for these, they also have other xonar external soundcards

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #26 of 734
Quote:
According to the box "Headphone Amplifier (impedance): 32-150 ohm" isn't that somewhat poor? I mean personally I think many headphones up to 80ohms even sound great on smartphones....

It does not have much higher output voltage than some smartphones, that is why the recommended impedance range is so low. Of course, some will still find the output enough with high impedance/less sensitive headphones. And if not, there is always the option of using an external amplifier. The Xonar U7 seems to be basically like an external Xonar D1/DX with slightly worse specs and lower voltages, so it should work decently as a DAC.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #27 of 734
It has slightly worse specs than the Essence ST/STX, but as it is processing the analog signal outside the computer case, it runs more uninfluenced by the multi Ghz clocked  computer internals. Right now I run a hard to drive but nice to wear AKG K 702 when gaming or watching movies, and there is nothing missing here. All my other cans are 32 or 64 ohm so also no problem here.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #28 of 734
Quote:
It has slightly worse specs than the Essence ST/STX, but as it is processing the analog signal outside the computer case, it runs more uninfluenced by the multi Ghz clocked  computer internals.

Not that I think the better DAC specs of the Essence cards are of much practical significance for music listening, but they do have EMI shielding (at least for the analog output path), and should normally not have interference problems. Most often people run into those when trying to use an external amp (because of ground loops - also an issue for non-isolated USB DACs), or the front panel headphone jack on the PC.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #29 of 734
Had the STX and yes it was the front out that was practically unusable due to noise from the CPU/GPU/CHIPSET. The cards rear out was ok, but in the wrong placefor me.

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #30 of 734
How does DHT v4 hold up to DH?
I'm not entirely sure on this but I read somewhere that DHT v4 is basically a renamed DH with a few extra new features, is this true?

EDIT+
Also, how are the drivers? Because Asus has been renowned for their absolutely horrendous drivers for their internal soundcards, up until today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back