Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #31 of 734
First of all I have Xonar devices since 4 years. Xonar Essence STX, Xonar U1 and now The Xonar U7. I had Windows XP, Windows Vista and now Windows 7 and different computers and I had never any trouble with the Xonar Drivers.
And yes the DHT v4 contains DH. Dolby customer service told me that they use the same algorithms for DH and for DHT v4. It is the same in a more user friendly package. I still have the Xonar U1 to compare. The surround effects are basically the same, but the sound is more refined from the Xonar U7. And the U7 can drive an active 7.1 speaker system or simulate surround from 2 active speakers.

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #33 of 734
You need to avoid using any of the settings in the Asus panel. Just select stereo and the sample frequency/bit rate. Then use the Dolby panel for all surround settings. And mske sure that the unit is running on USB 2.0 switch settings.

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #34 of 734
And please download the latest driver from Asus. The installation from the CD was missing the Dolby panel completely on my end with W7/64. The download workes just fine.

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #35 of 734
And the U1 is gor sure better than the crappy U3. On my pc setup, the U7 is far superior to the U1, so it must be better than the U3 at least.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #36 of 734

Quote:
And the U1 is gor sure better than the crappy U3. On my pc setup, the U7 is far superior to the U1, so it must be better than the U3 at least.

I meant more like, that the quality of the surround processing was better. In terms of actual sound quality I think the u7 had more clarity in music, but it was an unpleasant clarity, a harsh metallic sound, I didn't like it at all, sure the u3 is lower in fidelity (no doubt) but it was more musical, thicker, richer, I liked it better

in my posession right now I have asus u3, xonar u7, audio engine d1 dac, a fiio e17 dac, and a fiio e12 amp. the most pleasant musical sound is obtained from the u3 feeding into the e12 amp- it's a slightly muddy combination but the most pleasing for the type of music I listen to, my friends also came to similar conclusions (and no I didn't tell them what they should hear, and they're not audio buffs at all)

in terms of clarity, the audio engine d1 blows away the u7- in games footsteps are so clear, but in music I actually think it's too revealing, I don't like it. I only use the d1 for games

Quote:
And please download the latest driver from Asus. The installation from the CD was missing the Dolby panel completely on my end with W7/64. The download workes just fine.

i did, my laptop doesn't have a cd drive

Quote:
You need to avoid using any of the settings in the Asus panel. Just select stereo and the sample frequency/bit rate. Then use the Dolby panel for all surround settings. And mske sure that the unit is running on USB 2.0 switch settings.

i'll have another go, so you're saying to disable the 'xear surround'? and then  on the dolby panel what settings on there (all eq's and everything off, just with the headphone virtual surround slider set to 100%?), usb is set to 2.0, and windows is set to 7.1

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #37 of 734
Yes disable xear. It is sounding like crap. Dunno why Asus includes it.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #39 of 734
For gaming I simply use the gaming preset. For music I do not use Dolby, just stereo on the Asus panel @ 192/24. So for music I only use the Asus dac and geadphone amp without any enhancements. Just select the gain that suits your phone. If you need more bass, you can carefully try out what Dolby can do for you. And btw, you cannot change Windows sound device settings to more than 2 channels When using the headphone out. That is normal, Dolby uses always as much channels as the source can provide.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #40 of 734
Hi,I have a few simple questions that needs to be answered,hope you guys can help

1- Does this sound as good as the Fiio E17 purely for music?
2- Would this be a downgrade compared to the Xonar STX purely for music?

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #41 of 734
From memory I find the two quite similar. I had the STX till I sold my gaming rig in 2011. Now I have a new rig and use the U7. But memory cannot replace a direct comparison..... They have different processors and different DACs. so there must be a difference in sound that you cannot find in the specs. For gaming I find them equal though. The amp of the Xonar U7 delivers a very detailed and smooth sound. I do not own the Fiio E17. But I have the E12. And that one is very powerful compared to the Xonars, but not so detailed and not smooth, but more on the harsh side.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #43 of 734
Sorry, what is that?

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #45 of 734
In my case it is the Realtek Audio chip on the mainboard that is listed as Stereo Mix. After disabling it in the BIOS I have not such a device listed anymore. So I think that the U7 does not support it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back