Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #406 of 734
I was thinking about the same thing. I guess it all depends on what you want to achieve. If all you want is a DAC/AMP for headphone use from your PC. than the E10K is probably a better/cleaner solution. My situation is a bit different. I want something that will give better sound quality to my 5.1 speaker setup (vs the onboard Realtek chip) and serve as an headphone amp at the same time (I'm out of slot on my PC for an onboard sound card and the mobo does not have any digital output available so an external USB DAC is the only option). Also, I figured that since I already have a E11K. If I don't like the sound from the U7 headphone amp, I can always switch that to line-out and connect through my E11K.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #407 of 734
I got my U7 yesterday and installation was fairly simple and it only took about 10 minutes (a couple reboot) to get it up and running. Notice 2 things though.

First:  The sound level going from the optical output to the Z680 speakers seems a bit low until I click the Dolby HTV4 then it almost doubled in volume even with all effect turned off. Is this normal? (edit on 3/14: OK that went away after another reboot. now it plays at the louder level on both setting).

Second:  When I first plugged in my XBA-A3. Sound got really muddled and it seems to have lost most of the vocals. It turns out I was using the cable that have a mic for the XBA-A3 and once I switch back to the simple stereo cable everything is fine. However, I used the same cable on the U3 and a few Fiio product with no problem (E11, E11K, E17K). I ordered a3.5mm splitter cable with separate Headphone and Mic plugs. Hopefully, this will solve the problem but it was strange and took me quite a while to figure out it's the headphone plug (thought I messed up some setting on the U7 software at first).

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #408 of 734
For some odd reason. The U7 does not like 3.5mm jack with mic connections. You have to pull it maybe 1/4 ways out and it will work properly. It's a hassle so I ended up getting one of this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYZ2BT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and now my Mic also works.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #409 of 734
I have a SoundBlaster Omni with the Sennheiser G4ME ZEROs
Really no complaints beside not one button switch to speakers that I plan on buying soon.

How does this compare? I game a lot, and also listen to a lot of music, cap out at FLAC though, don't dabble in "high res" audio.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #411 of 734
How to set properly cut off frequency in FLEX BASS II? I have an TRUST GXT 2.1 audio system and i made some tweaks in Flex Bass feature:
cut off freq to 150/bass to level 4. Is this OK for the optimal sound or i should reconsider those values?

Link with my speakers: http://trust.com/en/all-products/19023-gxt-38-ultimate-bass-21-speaker-set

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #412 of 734
Hello guys, I have the echelon version and I just installed drivers on windows 8.1, it makes some other apps crash consistently, meaning that some apps crash every time they are launched, I suspect setup for the drivers replace some windows libraries used by other software or something like that...

I worked around this issue by installing the drivers backing it up, uninstalling, and restoring it from the .inf file installation. This way I have the dolby home control panel, but not the studio pro control panel but at least it does not break half my apps! If someone can provide me a way to install the sonic studio pro software I would be grateful, maybe it is that one that is causing the issue I don't know.

edit: ok, the problem is caused by the launcher nhAsusU7CamoUILauncher.exe
just disable its automatic startup and run the sonic studio pro from its .exe

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #414 of 734
Hello. I just bought xonar u7. And I have a problem. 

For now Im using Ath-cks 55x. Ath A700x will be here soon.

When I plug cks 55x fully it sounds crap. no bass. no vocal. But when I pull it back a little bit it sounds good. 

Edit: I fixed it. Problem comes from headphone&mic devices with 1 input.

May 3, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #415 of 734
Hi guys,

Bought myself an ASUS Xonar U7 DAC for my laptop. 

I like playing guitar and want it to play through my speaker system that my laptop is connected to via the DAC.

But when I do the line in and plug the guitar into Xonar U7... I get at least 1/2 a second of latency which makes playing guitar almost impossible. 

How can I fix this? Surely a DAC of this quality shouldn't be giving me these issues? I've had no latency issues with cards that were much cheaper. I've tried the ASIO setting and have set it to 4 ms with lowest bitrate. 

Any advice? Thanks

May 14, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #417 of 734
I am running a nuforce ha-200 headphone amp through the u7's RCAs but I am getting an unpleasant high pitched ringing. It's not the amp as far as I can tell as I have run it through other sources. Any advice? Would shielding the RCAs help at all?

May 27, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #418 of 734
Gday all

Thanks for the thread.

Long time lurker and my first post "apparently". Though I am sure I was a member and posted from a couple of years ago, but site won't recognize my unchanged email. lols

Any hows, I have had the U3 since its release. I bought it as I was building my first MITX PC.

I have had high end Xfi and Xonars in regular builds but this U3 has given me the best pleasure. Not the best in music, though no shonk either.

In gaming it is brilliant with Dolby Headphone. Set at 7.1 and the directional was superb in BF 3/4. I use some Sibera V2's which I am also happy with.

I am doing a new build and considering the U7. Echelon is out unfortunately as it is not available in Australia that I can find. If anyone could help locating, Id appreciate.

What is concerning me after looking through the thread is the U7 "not" being recognized as a 7.1 device and is fed a 2.0 Signal. Has this been addressed?

I always have set at 7.1 feed and selected 8 channel in audio center.

I'd DAC the U3, but want 24bit.

For shiz and giggle I just ordered some Superlux 681's for a try. My Sibs are 3yrs old now.

Will search around a bit more for an Echelon local. Can get OS but then I have warranty issue, shipping etc.

Cheers Bob

May 30, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #420 of 734
My impression on U7 is positive I would say, comparing its price range and the sound quality. 

Sound is pretty awesome, audio output format is up to 24/192 and the driver is nice and lovely.
It's external, therefore easy to plug in and remove, and place the audio port on proper locations (no more connections to the desktop)
I am currently using this for my laptop, which you pretty much cannot install other sound cards in.
U7 definitely qualifies my purpose of the purchase, and I love it.

Yet, its usage is very limited to pc-fi, with headphones or pc speakers up to 5.1 channel.
If you're looking for pc-fi interfaces for other usage, I would recommend looking for audio interfaces, but not this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back