Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #421 of 734
So, I've read this entire thread.
If I read this correctly, most people agree that surround sound works with the U7 even though only stereo shows up in Windows, BUT the Echelon version does show the 7.1 option? 
It should also have no trouble driving the Fidelio X2, as that is a 32ohm headphone. Quality seems to be very good and if my only goal is gaming with surround, the U7 Echelon would be a perfect match for the Fidelio X2?

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #422 of 734
Well, mine just crapped out after ~8 months of use ... it can only be detected as Unknown USB device on any computer i've tried and they were even preventing the pc from restarting (fun eh?).

Back to stock windows audio until i get something else ... bleh.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #423 of 734
I've had my Xonar U7 Echelon for a while now, and there's something not right with the x64 windows 8.1 drivers.
Plays back sound fine, microphone on my connected headset (Kingston HyperX Cloud) works fine in applications like teamspeak, skype and ventrilo.

But there are some issues. The Asus software for setting the thing up won't load. This happens with every single version of win 8.1 drivers available at Asus' site. I just get sidebyside errors in the event log, haven't been able to find a solution so far. There's also an issue with the signing of the drivers.

Steam voice chat will detect the soundcard in settings, but it will not detect any audio. This happens with every version of the drivers outside of one, version 8.0.11.19 from January 2014.
With that version of the drivers, you need to change the system clock to sometime in march/february 2014 to get the drivers to install.

The Xonar software still won't launch, but steam will pick up audio from the mic.

Dolby Home Theater seems to be working fine with every version I've tried, and with most of them the Xonar software sits in the system tray. With some versions I can enable sonic radar, but I can not open the Xonar software itself.

Been fiddling with this for a couple months now since I got the thing, and I figure I might as well throw it out and get something from someone with better software support, as I very much doubt the situation will improve with Windows 10 come July.

Any suggestions? Preferably external, but I can always move stuff around and free up a pci express slot as well if I really need to.

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #424 of 734
  First of all I have Xonar devices since 4 years. Xonar Essence STX, Xonar U1 and now The Xonar U7. I had Windows XP, Windows Vista and now Windows 7 and different computers and I had never any trouble with the Xonar Drivers.
And yes the DHT v4 contains DH. Dolby customer service told me that they use the same algorithms for DH and for DHT v4. It is the same in a more user friendly package. I still have the Xonar U1 to compare. The surround effects are basically the same, but the sound is more refined from the Xonar U7. And the U7 can drive an active 7.1 speaker system or simulate surround from 2 active speakers.

Hi there,

I am planning to buy a sound card for my 2-channel stereo speakers which will be connected through RCA. Trying to decide between Xonar U7 and Essence STX. Is there really a noticeable difference in sound quality between them? or I can just go with the U7. Because it is cheaper, easily available in my location and looks cool (LOL). I expect neutral sound with minimal coloring. 
Any suggestion is highly appreciated...

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #425 of 734
  Hi there,

I am planning to buy a sound card for my 2-channel stereo speakers which will be connected through RCA. Trying to decide between Xonar U7 and Essence STX. Is there really a noticeable difference in sound quality between them? or I can just go with the U7. Because it is cheaper, easily available in my location and looks cool (LOL). I expect neutral sound with minimal coloring. 
Any suggestion is highly appreciated...

Hi venky, the only gripe with the U7 is that windows only recognizes it as a Stereo device when using the headphone out. So Windows will only deliver a Stereo signal to the U7 when used as headphone amp. Dolby creates the surround effect out of a stereo signal then. The Xonar STX or a Soundblaster Z will be recognised as 7.1 devices and Windows feeds them accordingly. If you only use Stereo the U7 will get you a good and clear signal though. But with the STX you can't go wrong. Or take the STX2. Btw, I go the STX that I sold because I switched to a Laptop bac and use it since some month again in my main rig for music and gaming. I am a little afraid thouh if there wll be a Windows 10 driver for the rather old STX card. That is why I think of moving on to the STX2.

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #426 of 734
So I went ahead an ordered the Xonar U7. Arrived yesterday. I wanted to give you guys an honest mini-review.

The first thing I noticed was that the Dolby positional audio was really... lackluster. Everything sounds like I'm in a room. It completely amplifies the wrong sounds in my opinion. In every game I've played so far the ambiance heavily outweighs any other sound. On top of being unable to hear crucial sounds like gunshots and footsteps, when I did hear them they were completely untraceable. Let me give a few examples.

1) Was playing Planetside 2. Way too much ambiance. All I could hear was the loud amount of wind, trees rustling and vehicles. I couldn't hear ANYTHING directly around me. Positional audio was just plain terrible. It sounded like a slightly beefed up version of stereo. There was way too much sound being delivered to one channel. Essentially, put stereo headphones on, have someone shoot to the right of you. You know how you ONLY hear it in the right cup? That's what this sounds like, only a little more spacial. I never received any sound in the other channels. Now why is this bad you might ask? Well we don't hear sounds naturally that way. If something happens to my right, my right ear hears it first but my left ear still hears it. Simulated surround where only my right ear hears it sounds incredibly fake.

2) I played some Breaking Point where positional cues are absolutely critical. I logged in and immediately was bombarded with more ambiance. I thought, ok, maybe the rest will be better though. NOPE. Saw a player, fired... It sounded like someone turned the volume of my gun down to 10 (out of 100). I can barely hear my own gun that is RIGHT ON TOP OF ME! This was also a huge problem in Planetside. I had a group of hunters try and sneak up behind me. Thank god I was panning the camera because I never heard them. Even when they fired, they were no more than 10 meters away from me. It sounded like they were several hundred feet away and their gunshots were so muffled. 

3) These things do not drive my cans adequately. The headphone amp just isn't very powerful. I've tried cans 32ohms, 38ohms, 80ohms and 250ohms. I could set the card on the highest gain, use the 32ohms headphones and absolutely max the volume out and would be totally fine.

Bear in mind I'm comparing this to my formerly retired, now reinstated Auzentech X-fi Forte which used CMSS-3D. I've come to the conclusion that CMSS-3D is VASTLY superior (in my opinion, obviously). I just processed the return for the Xonar and I ordered the omni 5.1. In all honesty I don't expect it to be much better, but we'll see. I think at this point CMSS-3D is a dying technology, which is sad, because it blows the pants off of several audio processing techniques I've heard. Dolby Headphone definitely being one of them.

If I could give advice to anyone looking for an external sound card, I would say if you've never heard simulated surround, dolby heaphone will probably sound awesome to you. If you're used to excellent positional audio from CMSS-3D, do NOT make the switch to dolby headphone. Such a mistake. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #427 of 734
  Hi venky, the only gripe with the U7 is that windows only recognizes it as a Stereo device when using the headphone out. So Windows will only deliver a Stereo signal to the U7 when used as headphone amp. Dolby creates the surround effect out of a stereo signal then. The Xonar STX or a Soundblaster Z will be recognised as 7.1 devices and Windows feeds them accordingly. If you only use Stereo the U7 will get you a good and clear signal though. But with the STX you can't go wrong. Or take the STX2. Btw, I go the STX that I sold because I switched to a Laptop bac and use it since some month again in my main rig for music and gaming. I am a little afraid thouh if there wll be a Windows 10 driver for the rather old STX card. That is why I think of moving on to the STX2.

Hi, I am only going to use the stereo. So would u say that there is no significant difference in sound quality between U7 and STX?
Thanks...

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #428 of 734
Hi, I am only going to use the stereo. So would u say that there is no significant difference in sound quality between U7 and STX?
Thanks...

I cannot hear a significant difference in stereo mode. Asus put a lot of effort into the U7 and they proved in the last years that the seem to know what they are doing.

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #429 of 734
I've ordered the U7 this week too, it should arrive tomorrow, and I'll be comparing it to the X-Fi HD from Creative (also a USB card), which arrived just today. Lately I've become more and more tired of having to put up with onboard audio (which is actually the ALC1150 with integrated headphone amp, so one of the better ones), which just sounds too muffled and lacks too much detail. For both music and gaming/movies it's just not that good, especially since I use an HD 650 which really benefits from good a dac/amp. I'm saving up for some really hi-fi equipment, but in the meantime I wanted to get one of these "cheap solutions" so my music and movies can sound more lively at least for the time being.

I will post some more thoughts this weekend when I've compared both sound cards, but I've been using that Creative soundcard today, and I gotta say it's pretty good for the price. I'm certainly no audiophile, so I can't comment on exact things like highs/lows etc, but compared to onboard, music immediately sounded way more clear and crispier, and also more detailed. I've been mainly listening to simple Spotify mp3s, but also some HD files, and the crispness/clarity and detail improves further with those tracks.
There's two more things that I've noticed, one positive and one not so positive. Firstly, this sound card is FAST, like really fast, and for the HD650s that's actually a great thing because it's known to be a pretty relaxed headphone, and if pairing it to an equally relaxed amp or DAC, it can sound too slow (and yeah, a bit veiled). But anyway, that's definitely not the case here. The less positive thing, is that it can sometimes sound a little too "digital", like instruments and to a lesser extent vocals sometimes sound maybe a bit unnatural (and sometimes slightly distorted because of that). It's definitely not bad but it would be nicer if it sounded a bit more natural or "analog". But I certainly wouldn't say it sounds "cold", the sound is actually quite neutral. So far then, pretty good for a sub-100 euro (or dollar) DAC, I'm quite impressed.

Anyway I've also ordered me a Fiio amp, which together with the U7 should arrive tomorrow. So I'll see how those combinations will fare with my HD650s.

BTW, I've also heard how the STX II sounds, it's been a while but I'll try also compare it to the U7. Also had the Phoebus for a little while, which uses the same software as the U7, so those 2 are probably more related.
What I can say vs. the X-Fi HD, if I recall correctly, is that the STX II sounded warmer and more natural, better defined, and slightly better instruments seperation. I thought it wasn't _really_ worth that ~200 euro/dollar price though, and it lacked some "body", so I didn't keep it. (Damn, that you can say euro/dollar now, while it seems not so long ago when the euro was much stronger that the dollar, lol.)
I only used the stock opamps though, so perhaps with better opamps it will sound better. But I think also that the STX and HD650 is probably not the best combo because they're both warm sounding, so it might be better with a DT880 or so.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #430 of 734
So today I tried out the Xonar U7, so I can finally give some first impressions of the U7, and compare it to the Creative X-Fi I talked about yesterday. Both are priced about the same so they're close competitors in the USB/PC DAC market (although the X-Fi is stereo while the U7 also has 7.1 surround options, but I'm only interested in stereo).
Besides the U7, I also tried out two Fiio amps with the DACs, namely the A3 (formerly E11K) and the E12A (which has a Muses02 opamp), just to see if they sound better than using the standard amps in the DAC's headphone outputs. I connected the amps to the DACs via the RCA outputs. Oh, and all the time I've used my HD 650 Sennheiser headphone to listen.

So let's start with the U7. I think it's pretty similar to the Phoebus, it's been a while since I've used that one but it uses the exact same software and as I remember it sounded quite similar to the U7, although perhaps the Phoebus was a bit warmer. I don't believe the Phoebus had an integrated headphone amp though (the U7 does), although I might be mistaken. I'd say the U7 amp, which is 150 Ohm rated, is powerful enough to power the 300+ Ohm HD650, but it's of course not as good for the 650 as, say, the amp in the STX (which can power up to 600 Ohms).
Now let's compare to the Creative X-Fi HD. The U7 has more punch in the bass for sure (the X-Fi's bass is a little thin at default), although I think it has less treble presence, which makes the sound perhaps a little more relaxed and a little thinner (though the punchiness makes up for that a bit). The U7 also has a more "analog" sound, as there's a lot more timbre to the sounds and instruments. However, it's not exactly the best sounding timbre I've heard, it somehow sounds slightly distorted overall, and it's hard to put into words but it's like taking a pretty natural sounding recording and processing it to make it sound a bit more precise and tight, but maybe a bit too tight. It's actually a sound signature that's common with the Xonar sound cards I believe (even the STX has it, although the STX has a more refined sound to it and sounds more natural and warmer). I do kinda like some aspects of its timbre and the tight sound, but it's not my most favorite sound signature I must say.

So the U7 and X-Fi both have their advantages and disadvantages. I think the main advantage of the U7 is the versatility, and it's the better card for those who want a lot of surround options or who like a tighter and punchier sound for their music, games and movies. The X-Fi also has surround options, but only virtual surround. It's more a stereo card for music, but even with its default settings it's still very suitable for games and movies because of its clear sound, especially when using speakers or open-back headphones. In my case, at least for music (and I think also games and movies) I prefer the X-Fi sound, especially for longer listening periods (I like the U7 sound too, but it's maybe a bit "too much" for long listening periods, especially when using the Dolby app and Dolby headphone). The X-Fi also sounds more "musical" to me - it has a bit more "liveliness" and dynamic to the sound, and the U7 while technically very good sounding, it sounds a bit clinical with music, so it's primarily a card for gaming and movies.

People do sometimes criticize Creative products, I haven't owned many products by them but they do of course have a lot of experience in making PC sound cards (a lot more than Asus), and while making this card they did know what they're doing, and the result I must say is excellent. The Asus I wouldn't quite call "excellent", but it's pretty good too. They're both very good cards for the price at least (some flaws, but nothing that really disturbed me, and overall they're way better than you'd expect in this price range) and if you're using onboard audio it's definitely a big step-up, if you care about your audio that is.

Ok that was a bit long, so I'll be short about using a Fiio amp with these sound cards: not really worth it. It does make the sound a little bit better sometimes, and more so with the E12A, but it's not a very noticable difference so imo not worth the extra money. I'd say both integrated amps in the sound cards are good enough, even for powering a high impedance phone like the HD 650. Although the X-Fi wins here again because it has a bit stronger amp (up to 300 Ohms i believe). (And it also has a 1/4 inch headphone jack for my 650's so that's another plus.)

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #431 of 734
  Well, mine just crapped out after ~8 months of use ... it can only be detected as Unknown USB device on any computer i've tried and they were even preventing the pc from restarting (fun eh?).

Back to stock windows audio until i get something else ... bleh.

Hi Nidus123, 

I you move the switch from back-side from USB2.0 to USB1.1 and plug your U7 into a different computer without U7 drivers on it (or an Android tablet or phone) will it work?

Thanks, 
Raul.

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #434 of 734
Replaced my essence ST with the U7 and i have some problems.

The asio driver does not seem to work, i have xonar u7 asio set in foobar2k and the eq bars are moving but nothing gets outputed. Only Direct sound works. Used to work fine with the ST.

I have the thing connected via coax spdif to my dac, which then goes to my amp / speakers. With asio my dac would automatically switch to the correct khz setting the specific track was recorded at.

I can't use this without asio and no idea what to try next to make it work. I don't want to use asio4all, i want asus' s asio driver, which worked for the st anyway.

Also, at random times, when i stop playback a crackling sound remains in my speakers, repeting itself over and over. I have to switch the dac off/on or play something else to get rid of it. But it does not do that all the time, now it remains silent after stopping playback for example.

Weird, was not expecting so much trouble with this unit considering the essence worked perfect from day 1.

I have tried every driver avail, currently running the latest one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m9F_AGYuwc&feature=youtu.be

Noise goes away after i turn the dac off on at the end.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #435 of 734
The best and only driver in terms of audio quality for Xonar U7 is that WHQL dated on 22.01.2014. This year releases (february and latest beta-23.06) are PURE JUNK in terms of audio quality,imho.
For example,in the latest BETA driver you cannot tune your subwoofer anymore in FlexxBass 2 and you are forced to stay with some weird presets!
Why ASUS choose to sacrifice sound quality versus a fancy software interface filled with mediocre audio presets i cannot understand... If things will fallow this path,i rather sell my U7 and buy some Creative stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back