Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #451 of 734
The final sound is not related to DAC chip itself, but rather to implementation around the DAC chip, around I/V and LPF stages and the PSU. Maybe in really high end DACs the chip itself will make some difference, but not on mid-fi systems.

Anyway, I think CS4398 and TI1792A sound about the same, because are in the same league. 1794 is same chip as 1792, small difference related to hardware control. 1795 should compare with 1792: 1792 has a better S/N ratio, but 1795 has DSD capabilities. Try searching on this forum, I'm pretty sure I've read a compare between many DAC chips made by a really tech guy (former TI worker I think).

I've seen really great DACs created around CS4398 and TI1792 and TI1795, so it's not all related to DAC chip itself, it's all related to how much money do you intend spending on this DAC. :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #452 of 734
  The final sound is not related to DAC chip itself, but rather to implementation around the DAC chip, around I/V and LPF stages and the PSU. Maybe in really high end DACs the chip itself will make some difference, but not on mid-fi systems.

Anyway, I think CS4398 and TI1792A sound about the same, because are in the same league. 1794 is same chip as 1792, small difference related to hardware control. 1795 should compare with 1792: 1792 has a better S/N ratio, but 1795 has DSD capabilities. Try searching on this forum, I'm pretty sure I've read a compare between many DAC chips made by a really tech guy (former TI worker I think).

I've seen really great DACs created around CS4398 and TI1792 and TI1795, so it's not all related to DAC chip itself, it's all related to how much money do you intend spending on this DAC. :)

I see... so better question will be, is it gonna be a good upgrade from xtrememusic? and is "implementation around the DAC chip" good in U7?

Thanks for reply.

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #454 of 734
  Windows 10 already launched,but U7 drivers support missing...
Keep up the ''good'' work ASUS,this is so...you!

When I was speaking with an ASUS representative about Win10 drivers for the U7 they told me that it's too recent to drop support for it, so it will definitely have a Win10 driver, but it can take some time, because they don't write drivers for beta software. That means they waited for the final release of Windows 10 to start making drivers for it.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #455 of 734
  I see... so better question will be, is it gonna be a good upgrade from xtrememusic? and is "implementation around the DAC chip" good in U7?

Thanks for reply.

Technically speaking, yes...U7 would be an upgrade for X-Fi, mostly because it has a newer generation internal DAC, LM49990 OPAMPs, separate ground plane and power plane plus an additional layer for shielding audio plane, brand new capacitors (zero hours capacitors are better than few thousands hours capacitors), better headamp and let's not forget we're speaking about an external sound-card which is really easy to travel with or to move it to your Android tablet or phone or between desktop and laptop (some Androids will need the card to be setup for USB 1.1 instead of USB 2.0).

Also, S/N ratio is better on U7 than on X-Fi cards; the only downsize I can see on U7 is the volume level on RCA output, a little bit less than 2V, but usually for home use this wouldn't be an issue, because most of us are using decent amplification (external amp or decent amped speakers).

Now, to be honest, if your ears will perceive any sound differences between Xtrememusic and U7, that's another thing. :) Most likely the sound color and differences between those 2 sound-cards are going to be quite minimal, but it worth to try it out if you can find an U7 to borrow from someone.

Speaking about Windows 10, I'm pretty sure ASUS will create drivers for U7 in no time, but for Xtrememusic you will probably need to wait until October 2015 (based on Creative website ETA for Windows 10 drivers).

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #456 of 734
Xtreme512, I think found something after all:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/oversampling-who-does-it-best-6088/index5.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/255358-what-so-unique-about-pcm1795.html

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #457 of 734
Thanks man! :) Regarding Xtreme Music drivers, do you know Daniel_K? From forums.creative.com man this guy is a genious. He ported proper drivers for x-fi cards from windows xp to windows 10 already and its a full suite drivers with all application etc.. Ive been using them for years on my win8.1 and it sounds like Im on winXP (Xtreme Music is at its best on WinXP drivers).

Offtopic: Thats the reason Im not gonna buy Creative cards anymore. They dont support their older cards, older cards perform best on their native installation discs which is compatible to only winXP for 2005 cards like X-FI PCI series. Its a marketing strategy to sell newer cards etc. And I dont like it. Huge thanks to Daniel_K though... He is the reason that Ive been using my XtremeMusic at its full potential al lthese years. :)

Ill only miss the creative software yet not sure about it :D I mean cmss3d is very good for gamers using headphone but I use creative g500 5.1 system for gaming so no need cmss3d. Other than that, creative software can be buggy sometimes especially when it comes to bitperfect playback, after sometme cards sample rates will be locked and restart required. U7s software is good as far as I see.

Back to topic... Ive few questions.

1) I will buy Echelon version. My local seller doesnt have the first version. Is it bad? Any differences etc?
2) Which drivers to install? From CD, web?

Thanks.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #458 of 734
1) It's exactly the same hardware, just different part number and different firmware & Sonic Radar for gaming. (You can't install Echelon firmware on 1'st version of U7, because will detect it's a different part no. and vice-versa).
2) I'd go to web for drivers.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #459 of 734
OK thats good to know. People said sound quality is very very bad in some drivers and they point out a specific driver to install for proper intended sound quality. Idk which one.

edit: another thing is is there any setting or feature that U7 has but U7 echelon doesnt?

edit2: I searched the internet and found that echelon drivers lack lots of things that u7 original drivers have. such as asio, bass cut off freq. and echelon drivers are buggy they said.

I will install the original U7 drivers to my echelon firstly when they arrive.

Which driver should I install on win8.1 pro x64? https://www.asus.com/Sound/Xonar_U7/HelpDesk_Download/ from these 3 drivers?

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #460 of 734
Most likely original U7 drivers will not work on Echelon and vice-versa.They are both different part numbers and different USB ID devices.

Let's wait for someone who already has Echelon version to provide an answer for ASIO and other drivers related questions.

Regards!

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #461 of 734
Yes that would be fine. I contacted my friend who has Echelon and installed regular U7 2014 WHQL driver on it just fine. I asked him about it but no reply yet.

(its a bit funny) Basically, he got Echelon and tried to install driver CD no luck, then tried to install echelon drivers on web tried every one but no luck. lol :D Then lastly he tried regular U7 drivers and finally it went smoothly.

edit: ASUS has great durability and quality on its devices... But I never thought that they are very bad when it comes to the software.. I mean its just horrible, you cant even install your driver CD and drivers are buggy, missing features etc..

I would fire that software department right away.

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #462 of 734
Hello, I'm just got signed for my deamn U7 Echelon :)

I don't know, but I'm sick with this card. Echelon is really bad if you are listening especially from it's analog ports. The Sonic Studio Pro is really bad. And there is no upmixing option like Xear Sourround Max. And this is making me really sick. Original U7 does have it, but Xonar U5 and Xonar U7 Echelon doen't have it. How the fck there is no upmxing option in 5.1 or 7.1 cards?
(I'm not considering Dolby because it's quite bad for quite peaces. Dolby makes them artificial.

I will post lots of problems and issues with my U7 Echelon card, but today I was able to install normal U7's driver to my U7 Echelon Edition. As it's stated above "regular U7 2014 WHQL driver" (at least Windows 7 32 bit edition) worked on my system. AND I WAS THRILLED.

Sound is much more powerful, I have upmixing option which works really good unlike Dolby's. Dolby tries to give vocals from center only and does some other weird things, so you loose stereo effect in most music. Sound fading issue is gone. I would explain it later but Echelon was fading especially in the bass areas. Even my motherboard doen't do that.. And my only problem is I lost equaliser option in Sonic Stuido Pro. I don't know what happens If I install Echelon Driver at the same time, but I would try it later :) But right know I feel like I don't need equaliser because the sound is already balanced and powerfull. I might want to open the sound with high end a bit, but that's my personal taste :)

I will return my card to warranty because It has some kind of problem with headphone jack. If my headphone jack has 3 pins, you need to plug it 3/4 I would say to get a good sound. And while doing that card switches from speakers to headphones and tries to adapt but I think it's bad and headphone jack might be damaged doing that so often.(It's also pain to find sweet spot each time).

Ah, and I don't know if regular U7 2014 WHQL driverdriver works in Windows 10 because every Echelon Driver I tried is awful for speakers AND headphones. Some people with average can hear that fading issue. I'm searching the internet and only find 1 complaint about it in the Asus's official forum. 

You can clearly hear fading in U7 Echelon Edition from; The Crew OST - Heavy as a Feather (Track 02) [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3toQj7xLJM        , after 2:50]

I don't know If my card has some kind of deffect, and installing U7 Echelon Driver is switching that deffect on (I hope you understood XD) Because installing normal U7 driver solved my issue thank God again :)
I wish there were no hardware check or some option to skip it. Because there is no Spec diffrence between Echelon and normal version.. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #463 of 734
Thats good to hear :) For myself, I dont care if theres a upmix or not because I wont use it. The real missing feature is the bass management part, that has cut off frequency. Its mandatory to have it. Echelon software didnt include that option. And the ASIO drivers of course. But I can live with the WASAPI which is the same thing.

Anyways, I dont think that your device has a defect. Its the driver/software that creating problems, believe me.

We can do only one thing about it.... That is to send an email to ASUS and explain them the problems and demand a better quality software/driver at least like the WHQL 2014 January one, for Windows 8.1 and 10. For both of the devices to have same features.

EDIT: I hope WHQL 2014 works on my Echelon too, Im on Win8.1 X64 though. :)

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #464 of 734
:) I hope so. And about sending e-mail to Asus I actually sent a good one :)

"Hi,
First of all I would like to thank Asus and all of the people worked on the Xonar U7. It's a superior soundcard for it's value compared to most soundcards in the market. I'm writing this to help the Engineers/Developers at Asus to see some problems and highlight what could be causing it. I will try to use clean and formal language to improve understandability.
About my 1st problem, there is no upmixing option whereas U7 does.

I bought U7 Echelon Edition about 4 months ago. I was willing to buy normal U7 but only option to get U7 is via internet in Turkey. So when I saw  U7 Echolon Edition I was not sure to buy it because my plan is to use it for only music purposes. But the man who said U7 Echelon Edition is basically the same with U7. Only Echolon Edition has camouflage with updated drivers. I compared specs from Asus's original site and I didn't see any difference so I bought U7 Echelon Edition.

When I plugged my 5+1 system to card I was quite disappointed. I tried every option in Sonic Studio Pro but there is no chance to upmix the sound to 5 channels. Therefore sound I get from my sistem is really weak compared to my old entry level Creative sound card which had an option to upmix the sound. My old Creative sound card was giving the same sound (which goes to front channels) to rear channels and and mono sound from center. It's pretty basic but It's a must option in 5+1 or 7+1 cards. To give another example, Internet Explorer does the same thing. (Actually I'm sure Asus Engineers knows this far better than me aboutu mixing but I'm still shocked how U7 Echeolon and U5 doen't have this feature.. ) Yes, we have Dolby Home theatre option, but it colours the sound and makes some sounds and instruements artificial and it's not good for music. Xonar U5 doesn't have Dolby option which means it's impossible to upmix the standart stereo music to 5 channels which is really frustrating for spesifically 5.1 and 7.1  designed sound cards.

I've made a research about this problem and found that original U7 has an option to upmix the musics under "Xear Sourround Max" If I remember.  It's a must have option for people who have more than 2 channel speaker systems. This option must have been natively in U5 and U7 Echelon Edition also.
I think Asus should give Sonic Radar and upmixing option to both U7 and U7 Echelon Ed. I could understand that Sonic Radar is given to Echelon Ed. exclusively for marketting purposes at the beginning. (Trying people to upgrade their normal U7's to U7 Echelon Ed.)  But right at the moment everybody thinks U7 Echelon Ed. is better one.( In my case it's not, because the fact that lack of Sonic Studip Pro's abilities makes it inferior ) Therefore giving both features on both cards will provide flexibility for customers like me in Turkey and maybe some others in diffrent countries..

I've tried to solve the problem by installing normal U7's driver on my U7 Echelon edition, but installation was canceled during hardware check. If It allow me to install normal U7's software on my Echolon Ed. the upmixing problem should have solved. Therefore I want to ask Driver developers If they can do something about it. You can add Upmixing option to U7 Echelon Ed. in Sonic Studio Pro or you should allow us to install U7's driver on Echelon Ed. which would be really nice because U7's driver's offers also additional options like cut off frequency If I remeber right. I won't be bothered If I loose Sonic Radar. U7's driver offers also cut off frequency If I remeber right.

To sum up, I want the options on Xonar U7, in my Xonar U7 Echelon Edition. Actually If I had an option to select between Xonar U7 and Xonar U7 Echelon Edition at that time, I would go for the Echelon Edition because of it's looks.. They should be equal in my opinion.

My 2nd Problem is sound fading issue. This problem really annoys me when I use the Sonic Studio Pro.

When I listen some songs which have heavy bass or high level noise parts volume level drops. It's like card is pushing too hard, or happens the time when you boost the bass in low end sound cards. I saw the similar problem on some forum site, http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/213735-xonar-ds-sound-volume-fading-out-issue.html . However this doen't apply to Xonar U7 Echelon Ed. 's software. If I turn the volume down on Sonic Studio Pro, and turn up from my 5.1 system problem still exists. By the way I tested my music file (lossless), I know my speakers are fine (I've tested in my older card), my all settings are flat, I've tested the song from diffrent players like winamp and foobar. Actually problem occurs when I listen through my headphones as well. But when I switch to Dolby option, fading and fluctuating issues doen't occur in my both headphones and my speakers. So problem is definitely related with Sonic Studilo Pro from what I understood. Some songs which is easier to hear the problem: Fred V ft. Grafix ft. Etherwood - Forest Fires (Massappeals Remix) (after0:38),  Celldweller - The Sentinel,  The Crew OST - Heavy as a Feather ( in the last part)

To solve that issue, I've tried quite few things, like downloading latest and even older softwares from Asus's site(64 bit and 32 bit versions), lowered the volume from my card, lowered the volume from windows (which does the same thing). But when I saw the Windows mixer I thought something is wrong. The green bar which goes up when the noise increases in the song, was not increasing. It was already fully increased to the level selected in the Sonic Studio Pro(mostly 100%). But when I select the Dolby option, I can seethe  green bar is moving according to music. It goes to full sometimes but not all the time like when the Sonic Studio Pro is selected. And I found  2 temporary solutions:

-1st lower the volume from your music player e.g. from Winamp or foobar until you make enough space for green bar in the Windows mixer. But this problem will solve when you are listening from these music players that you lowered the volume. You should do the same thing on every game's settings..to get rid of problem..

-2nd Lower the volume from mixers on the Sonic Studio Pro. Go to Sonic studio Pro, channel mixer, and lower all the channels. In my case I dropped them to -12. This also puts enough space between green bar and the sound level selected from Sonic Studio Pro (So idea is the same).  I don't like this option because even though I turn up the volume from my speakers to compensate, it's almost like the same, but strangely, I don't get the same energy and joy from sound. I normally use the card at 85 constant, and change the volume from my speakers. I guess afer lowering the channels impacted that but I guess that's deep topic.

-3rd Strangely, If I select diffrent bitrates from Sonic Studio Pro during music playback, sound becomes low, even though it's same in Sonic Studio Pro and Windows Mixer, and in Sonic Studio Pro. And sound becomes cleaner and there is no fading or fluctuating issue. But when I stop the playback and play other song, sound levels become higher, causing the fading and fluctuating issue again.

I believe Asus has become a brand for quality products and stands back their products. I'm looking forward to return from Asus. I am willing to help Developers/Engineers at Asus about the problem I stated. You can ask spesific parts of my writing If you didn't understand some parts. I can speak/write Turkish and English. Thank you. "

And unfortunatelly I got a mixed return :frowning2:

"Dear Customer, 

it's our pleasure to help you solve your problem. 
If you still have any technical issue, please feel free to contact Asus technical support team at http://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/TechQuery . 
Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 
Asus Technical Support Team"

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #465 of 734
But I agree that we should post some more e-mails to Asus, so that our vocies heard better :) Everybody who has some kind of problem with his U7 or Echelon Edition go to https://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm/TechQuery and describe your problem.

Xtreme512, how does WASAPI or Asio drivers help you:? And about cut-off, you can downlad 20 band equaliser for foobar2000 and reduce some lower end frequencies to minimum If you want. I tried it and It worked that way. I know boosting frequencies in foobar2000 will reduce the quality but reducing frequencies, especially in lower end will just cut these part which is what you want.

I hope Asus will make better software with more qualities like upsapling (Only on XP), cut off frequency, and equaliser. Thank you guys and since people here <3 music, here is some songs you might like too :D

Lindsey Stirling  - Crystallize   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjpOzsQ9YI and Orhan Gencebay - Dertler Benim Olsun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtGXXRfvVFY :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back