Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #392 of 734
Hi there, 

I used to have an older version of driver, so the new one, installed 3 days ago, did not really improved anything to hi-fi sound, but at least it comes with the new "Sonic Studio Pro" control panel, which look pretty nice and you have lots of things to customize there.

Cheers!

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #393 of 734
Hi :wink:
Have anyone installed the Echelon driver (sonic radar) to normal nonechelon u7?

Edit:
Second question.
I have Xonar U7 and Beyerdynamics Custom One pro.
Can someone describe me the best settings to using it in game ? (FPS) 
Using Xonar via usb on laptop (msi ge60)

3q. I have some strange issue.. i hear a litle crack sound sometimes.. its freaky. 
(onboard sound card disabled - xonar set to 2.0 usb, tried to dissconect laptop charger but it give nothing. 
first running beta driver (win 8.1) it was hard crack every 30-60 seconds, then i had install tested whql driver and its better but still can be heared...

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #394 of 734
Hi, 

I tried installing the Echelon driver on U7, but it failed. Looks like it realize it's not the Echelon version and it just rolls back the installer. Perhaps with some trick might be installed after all, but I haven't bothered...

Cheers.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #395 of 734
Hi!
Just a quick question,

I upgraded my PC and my new motherboard is the ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer
with the SupremeFX onboard audio (Realtek ALC1150 with some funcy software...)

Just for fun I did some hearing tests between U7 and SupremeFX
Ofcorse the audio from U7 is better but I noticed some strange thing...
The volume loudness if you prefer is way different from both cards,
ex: Windows volume 20% on SupremeFX is as loud as windows volume 35% with U7
Why is that? why SupremeFX can produce a much louder audio than U7?
Does it have to do with the amp that realtek uses?

I have Superlux HD668B and the U7 is at USB 2.0 with max gain...

I'm also thinking of bying a Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V2 to hook into the U7
Is it possible to tell me If i can connect it like this?
U7 Headphone output > Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V2?

Best regards!

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #396 of 734
You can increase internal U7's volume from low to med, based on your headphones low SPL and 56 ohms internal impedance. Anyway, don't bother to equalize volumes, because this doesn't means your mobo's amp is better in any way.

I don't see why Bravo will not be OK with U7.

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #397 of 734
Actually I set the ASUS to High Impedance
do you believe is wrong?

As for the Bravo, I know it will be ok
My question is if I can connect with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack from U7 headphone output to the yellow 3.5mm bravos input...

Sorry for my noobish question!!! :)

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #398 of 734
If you really want to feed your Bravo V2 amp through U7's headphone out 3.5mm plug, you can do that, just be sure to setup the impedance to low from U7's control panel.

According to http://bravoaudio.com/bravo2.html the input impedance for the Bravo amp is 100KOhm, but the output impedance of your U7's headphone amp is only few Ohms, so I would actually recommend you to connect the U7 to your Bravo amp by using a regular RCA-RCA cable; just try finding a decent short cable with a strong shield and gold plated plugs (less than 0.5 meters long, if possible). Also, you could try using both cables setup (RCA-RCA and jack-jack) and see what fits you best, but I still think that RCA-RCA should be the winner here. :)

The input sensitivity for Bravo V2 is 100mV, so this shouldn't be any issue for your U7 to deal with this; according to U7's datasheet it can output up to 1V RMS.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #399 of 734
Thank you very much for your advise!

Actually the only problem with the RCA connection is that I already use RCA for my 5.1 setup
so the only available output that I have is the headphone 3.5mm output.
I don't want to plug/unplug every time I would like to hear through my headphones or 5.1

Maybe there is a way to do it via a splitter-switcher or something like that but again
when I'll listen to my headphones the sound will be passing also from the SUB/FL-FR/RL-RR

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #400 of 734
I'm curious if anyone with a Mac who has the device has gone into the MIDI settings and raised the bitrate to 96/24? 

I'm assuming the virtual surround only works in windows, being that it's software based?

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #401 of 734
guys. I get it, its an asus top but I have some questions on those usb dac/amps
Currently I have xonar dg and brainwavz hm5.
Love the setup but I would like to have something on-desk like x-fi hd or xonar u7 (dont know any more products like that).
Mostly just for convinience of having easy plug-in headphones on desk. If the sound gets better too. fantasic.

any tips or recommendations ?
As for now, I am using my hm5 with medium impedance setting on my xonar dg. That is 60+ and i am never going beyond 60% volume

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #402 of 734
So I've owned my Xonar U7 for a week now.  Nice little thing, but...I've noticed a bit of an issue surface today.  I was using it to output 192 KHz sample rate at 24 bits for the past week and just today, I've detected some low buzzing noises periodically from my headphones.  At first I was worried it was the headphones themselves, but I quickly switched to another pair and they did the same exact thing.  Rules out the headphones being an issue.  I checked onboard sound and that was fine by itself.  It was coming back to the U7.  I did some basic trouble shooting, including reinstalling the drivers (not sure if they properly uninstalled in the first place or not, I'm willing to attempt that fix again) and eventually, as it turns out, the buzzing is caused by the sample rate and bit settings I've been using for the past week.  I reset the settings to default and everything is fine now.  No more buzzing.

I have to wonder, does it really make a noticeable difference in music and games if I crank those settings up to the highest values?  Should I just get the U7 replaced since it's still only a week old?  Is there a fix I could do on my end?  Help me out here.  If you need more info, I use Sennheiser HD 598 headphones with this DAC and amp.

Update: The buzzing is back on the lower settings now.  I'm really at a loss on what to do here.  Any suggestions?

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #404 of 734
Alright, well at any rate, the U7 is still creating a low tone buzz periodically now.  How do I go about fixing that?  This wasn't always happening.  It just started the other night.  Should I just get it replaced under warranty, try a reinstall, or what?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back