Asus Xonar H6 daughter card and bit perfect drivers vaporware?
Nov 8, 2009 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
I am starting to wonder if the H6 daughter card won´t be released? And nothing happens with the drivers either?

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 38
I'm also in contact with HT.Omega regarding bit-perfect drivers...both them and Asus are fully dependent on C-Media, that supply the DSP and the WHQL windows system drivers
devil_face.gif

if only they were as productive as Realtek when it comes to drivers, but well...not counting on bit-perfect drivers is my best advice at this point.

if you wanna ask about the H6 availabilty, I can give you the email of the Xonar product manager...who promised me bit-perfect drivers 6 months ago, so yes vaporware to the bone!

C-Media sells specs, but are noobish when it comes to audio drivers..."well, you have sound..what is the problem?"
biggrin.gif

instead of wasting money on ASIO licensing, they would have been better off building proper drivers in the first place
rolleyes.gif

if you want bit-perfect/bit-matched and rock stable drivers, get a soundcard based on Envy24.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 38
which soundcards uses that?

I am thinking of going back to creative again... Best would be if I could get my Elite Pro console going again... Dunno if you can buy it separately it´s out of warranty
frown.gif

Or is there another way to get spdif out with the elite Pro?

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 38
you can't swap op-amps on CL cards, and their drivers is one huge piece of bloatware.

well, most of the Audiotrak Prodigy line runs envy24, and many asian cards run it too...like all the Onkyo cards or these ones:

COMRADE DIGITAL 7.1 Hi-Fi (4 layers PCB, I've asked Gyrocom...it's not an OEM Prodigy 7.1 HiFi, which only has a 2 layers PCB)

TOKYO STYLE S010 DCS-SEV24/PE (that's a lotsa caps
eek.gif
)

X-Sword II Analog-HD PCI-E

X-Sword II Digital PC

and the list goes on..

not everyone has Asus money to waste on marketing(and shills
biggrin.gif
), but there's MANY asian soundcards(including the HD2 Advance in my signature) that give great SQ, swappable op-amps and run the audiophile-conscious Envy24 DSP...their drivers forbid resampling, are dead stable and don't require any resident apps(3 of them are mandatory for proper operation on CMI8788 based cards)

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am starting to wonder if the H6 daughter card won´t be released? And nothing happens with the drivers either?

A few guys already had confirmation from their local dealers they were bringing in the H6 cards according to posts in the H6 thread.
They are already built for use with the HDAV 1.3 so small jump to release them on their own. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 38
Small jump that is exactly why I think they won´t release it. They would have done it already and I am not waiting and see any longer.

creatives driver are actually superb. The creative mediasource player is so much better then foobar it´s not funny and no issues getting bit perfect either. Once in a time they where bloatware but you can choose just install the audio console, the drivers and the media source 5 player. No bloat there
smily_headphones1.gif
. Switching opamps didn´t help the Essence as much either in my case since my Keces is on another level. So unless I get my elite Pro going I will probably "downgrade" but just make sure I get solid spdif out
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 38
well, put some proper op-amps...like in my signature
very_evil_smiley.gif

anyway, if you like CL go go go...at least they actually release drivers updates, not like Asus
devil_face.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 38
With good USB DACs nowadays I don't see the point of a soundcard especially if it's only for 2 channel audio. (Note that I do have a Xonar D2X but that's because it's ok for music and for games.) You can do bitperfect via USB right? Maybe the cost is a factor though especially with some cards like that have special amp sections.

But I like the name of one of those cards....COMRADE! lol, is it made in China or Cuba?
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Small jump that is exactly why I think they won´t release it. They would have done it already and I am not waiting and see any longer.

creatives driver are actually superb. The creative mediasource player is so much better then foobar it´s not funny and no issues getting bit perfect either. Once in a time they where bloatware but you can choose just install the audio console, the drivers and the media source 5 player. No bloat there
smily_headphones1.gif
. Switching opamps didn´t help the Essence as much either in my case since my Keces is on another level. So unless I get my elite Pro going I will probably "downgrade" but just make sure I get solid spdif out
smily_headphones1.gif

Well your choice, if you don't want to wait grab something else that is available right now.

The CL drivers aren't too bad as you said you can install what you want and there are many good modded sets out there also.

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can't swap op-amps on CL cards, and their drivers is one huge piece of bloatware.

well, most of the Audiotrak Prodigy line runs envy24, and many asian cards run it too...like all the Onkyo cards or these ones:

COMRADE DIGITAL 7.1 Hi-Fi (4 layers PCB, I've asked Gyrocom...it's not an OEM Prodigy 7.1 HiFi, which only has a 2 layers PCB)

TOKYO STYLE S010 DCS-SEV24/PE (that's a lotsa caps
eek.gif
)

Wow, it looks like every single channel on both those cards uses swappable op-amps. Very nice. And I imagine the 4 layer PCB helps alot for keeping out EMI?

Is there any place online that sells either card that ships to the USA?

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well your choice, if you don't want to wait grab something else that is available right now.

The CL drivers aren't too bad as you said you can install what you want and there are many good modded sets out there also.

I would love to try something else but well it feels wrong when I have a perfectly fine Elite Pro in my hands just with a borked console. It would save some money if I got that going and it sounds damn good too in analogue. It has the 6 channel analogue too which I am after....

Of course my realtek junk have spdif out but I don´t really trust onboard audio. The little I tried it it was pure crap. (Asus Commando)

may just get the cheapest possible soundcard out there with spdif and bit perfect if I can´t figure out a way getting spdif with my elite Pro
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurotetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, it looks like every single channel on both those cards uses swappable op-amps. Very nice. And I imagine the 4 layer PCB helps alot for keeping out EMI?

if you can find a Japanese seller through google, pricejapan.com will be happy to export it for you.

yep, 4 layers is great to kill interferences...the STX and the Claro Halo have 4 layers.

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurotetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Many of the new soundcards use swappable opamps on every channel.

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

I would love to try something else but well it feels wrong when I have a perfectly fine Elite Pro in my hands just with a borked console. It would save some money if I got that going and it sounds damn good too in analogue. It has the 6 channel analogue too which I am after....

Can't you just find a new bay, or repair the existing one you have?
Quote:

Of course my realtek junk have spdif out but I don´t really trust onboard audio. The little I tried it it was pure crap. (Asus Commando)

Onboards are pretty bad for real sound quality. They won't compete with a quality soundcard.
Quote:

may just get the cheapest possible soundcard out there with spdif and bit perfect if I can´t figure out a way getting spdif with my elite Pro
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, if it was me and I had the same hadrware as you with the borked drive bay, I would pull the drive bay and tap the S/Pdif output directly from the pin header on the card. You could easily make a Coax bracket and conenct it to this header. This would give you the S/Pdif output.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 38
I haven´t found anyone selling them separate. The elite Pro have a specific cable that attaches to the console which I think is not something generic... It looks a bit like a printer cable. spdif ports is on the consoles itself there is none on the card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back