Asus Xonar Essence STX sounds boring with my Sennheiser HD 515, Grado SR225i NEED HELP
Jul 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

iMusicLover

100+ Head-Fier
Hello i buy Asus Xonar Essence STX, First i uninstal integrated audio drivers, restart go to bios and disable Azaria audio codec. turn off computer instal STX and plug molex 4 pin conector. Turn on PC and instal  STX Windows 8 drivers (PCI_STX_8_0_8_1813_W8) from   Asus official website. Plug headphones Grado SR225i later Sennheiser HD 515 and sound are so boring, nothing better than my old onboard card, speakers(70$) only sounds better.  Can help me guys please, please i am newbie at headgear. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 9
@ OP - What are you not liking about the STX? And, elaborate what you meant by boring.

Also, what are you listenig to? MP3, flac etc?
And, what are you using for listening audio?
You can use Foobar and along with it install ASIO4all drivers. Then use the ASIO mod on foobar.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 9
There is advice for configuring the STX in the FAQ section of the first post of this thread (it's a LONG first post): http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

If you need to ask questions about configuring it from there, that thread is a good place to ask :)

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Hello i buy Asus Xonar Essence STX, First i uninstal integrated audio drivers, restart go to bios and disable Azaria audio codec. turn off computer instal STX and plug molex 4 pin conector. Turn on PC and instal  STX Windows 8 drivers (PCI_STX_8_0_8_1813_W8) from   Asus official website. Plug headphones Grado SR225i later Sennheiser HD 515 and sound are so boring, nothing better than my old on-board card, speakers(70$) only sounds better.  Can help me guys please, please i am newbie at headgear. 

As far as I can tell, headphones like the HD515 are designed to work well with unamped sources (line-out jacks).

You could try switching the amp from the low gain to the mid gain, might wake up the HD515s

Or sell off the HD515s and get some used HD558s ($144 on Amazon for used).

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 9
Have you tried those headphones with other amps? Honestly, given the same volume unless you can pick up subtle differences stx won't help you over onboard audio. The differences are there but in subtle ways. Just like a speaker which sounds twice as good as a $100 speaker is likely to cost $1000. In audio the law of marginal returns is very prominent indeed.

Besides, the stx amp is pretty bad. Try some speakers with the stx card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back