Asus Xonar Essence STX - Owners help required!!
Jul 22, 2012 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nailzy

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

Recently did a PC rebuild and somehow in the migration of components - I've managed to snap off a surface mount resistor from the back of the board. It's taken a while of diagnosing with a multimeter to spot this resistor had gone.

I have no idea where the resistor itself is - to be honest from what is left of it, it just looks like a zero ohm resistor but I can't find a decent high quality photo of the back of the card to confirm.

I've circled the affected component in this picture - https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/382480_10150909594626525_378951027_n.jpg - if someone is able to take a high resolution photograph or confirm the resistor value of the component - it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Richie

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 10
If you have a multimeter you can find out the resistance I guess?

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 10
I would if I had the entire resistor - as I said I have no idea where it's gone so can't measure what it was. However the sections of the end legs that are left are both black with no markings which would suggest a zero ohm resistor.

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
I would if I had the entire resistor - as I said I have no idea where it's gone so can't measure what it was. However the sections of the end legs that are left are both black with no markings which would suggest a zero ohm resistor.

That might not be true. From the pics I saw online, it doesn't seem to mention any of the resistor values.
Why not call/email Asus?

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 10
It might not be true...but it might be?! Hence why I'm asking - all the resistors on the board that have no markings are zero ohm (tested with a multimeter) and all coloured/marked ones test out as normal with their indicated values.

All it will take is for another person with an STX to have a look for me or even just take a photo close up of that area. Asus are a complete was of space when it comes to support and there's no chance I will get that kind of information from them.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 10
The plot thickens - found a better photo of the back of the card and doesnt look like a resistor at all - I have no idea what it is - inductor maybe?

It's got 3 coloured dots on it

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 10
Ok, thanks for the research, I think I may have something:
http://www.ipctraining.org/dvd/164c/charts.pdf

Looks like its an inductor (Pg 8).
Now you just need to read the values and solder a replacement.

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 10
So going off color codes it's a 4700nh inductor but there are loads out there with different resistance values and operating frequencies :\

Unless thiere is something sidewards on that can be seen?

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 10
Hi! Sorry for my engrish.

Funny, but I have the same problem, there is no that element. They probably poorly attached it.
Did your card continued to work after loosing the element? My system does not recognize card at all :frowning2:

So, the main question - did you find desired inductor :)?

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 10
Hey dude!

Yes I got it fixed! If that inductor is not there or damaged - the system will not recognize the card because it's responsible for powering the PLX PCI-E Bridge interface - without that the card cannot talk to the PCI-E interface on your motherboard.

I had an official response from PLX on the issue - they told me what type to buy. Replaced it with a new inductor and now everything works perfectly.

This is the part that I used (I'm in the UK) - 

INDUCTOR, 1210 CASE, 47UH; Core Material  LQH32CN470K23L  MURATA - http://cpc.farnell.com/murata/lqh32cn470k23l/inductor-1210-case-47uh/dp/FT00735?Ntt=FT00735

Good luck on getting yours fixed!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back