Asus Xonar Essence ST
Jan 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #47 of 69
Perfect.
Thank you again.
beerchug.gif

PS.If you change the opamps,tell us your impressions.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #49 of 69
Hi.
Today,I received the Opamps from Germany,and now I wait for the get  H6 from UK,to put them together in the computer.
Theodore.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #50 of 69
Ok, got the 3 LME49720NA's in place. It sure took some work getting the old ones out. :)

My first impression is that there an overall improvement in sound quality, it's more natural sounding now. The sound is a bit more tidy, not so muddy. The highs sounds better, guitar and especially female vocals sound much clearer. 

I'm Happy with the upgrade. :) My next project is to eventually get an external amp.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #51 of 69
Hi again.
Can you please,explain,how did you change  the opamps?Did you use a special tool?
Also,did you have pay attention for static electricity?
Thank you.
Theodore.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #52 of 69

Quote:
Hi again.
Can you please,explain,how did you change  the opamps?Did you use a special tool?
Thank you.
Theodore.

Hi Theodore. Removing the metal shield was a piece of cake with a screw driver. I then used a pair of tweezers and a needle on the old opamps and I had to be a bit violent but out they got.

It was easy to put in the new opamps. Just push them down gentle to be sure they get all the way down. One of mine didn't get all the way down in the socket but it works perfectly anyway. 

I didn't pay any special attention to static electricity and I didn't use gloves either.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #54 of 69
If you opamp does not come with a peice of black foam over its terminals it's probably ok to handle without using a ground strap. If it does come with a peice of black foam over the terminals you must wear a ground strap when handling otherwise you could damage the input transistors

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #55 of 69
Hi again Jorg.
Waiting my ordered H6 card,to pu it into the computer,together with the ST,I ask something more.
Is there a possibility to put the opamps in a wrong place in the card?
How have been placed the old opamps,so as to swap them?Are they in a row,or otherwise?
(I am not very familiar with modes you know).
Regards,
Theodore.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #56 of 69
The only way you can place the op-amps wrong is if you place them in the wrong direction. Thats hard to do aslong your looking at what your doing. The op-amps notch should face the same direction as the notch on the op-amp socket.

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #58 of 69
2 questions:

1) does anybody use additional power from the psu? how does it affect the sound?

2) when you switch on and off the light in your room, does the music, played through the xonar st, break off for a short moment? i am asking because i have the auzentech bravura, and every time i switch lights on or off, the music breaks. it does not happen with an external usb dac like udac2.

thanks.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #59 of 69
1) Yes. I don't think the card would work without it, although I haven't tested it.

2) No. I suspect it has more to do with the PSU than the sound card. The only music breaks / popping I've ever noticed was when the sound buffer size was too low and I was doing some CPU/HD intensive stuff. The PSU's I tested the card with are: Tacens Valeo 480W and Corsair CMPSU-650TXEU (650W).

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #60 of 69
thank you, fufula.

1) ah i see.

2) hm, so i have to check my psu ... i am doing CPU/HD intensive stuff quite often while listening to music but never experienced any sound glitches, except with the auzentech card when i switch on/off lights or aircondition. i was wondering whether the xonar st would do better in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back