Asus Xonar DX worst sound card on the Planet!!
Oct 27, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #31 of 42
LOL Awesome dude I love those latina women. lol
Always taught Brazilians spoke Spanish. I learned something here.

Damn man that shakira sure is hot. What a dream woman. I feel I may end up marrying a Latina chick one day. Serious!!!!!

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #35 of 42
I know it's not as relevant. But what about a change of headphones? To something far more bassy? I really don't think having the headphones rattle is too good an idea.

My old roomate used to have the z5500 (running with audigy 2 ZS too i think). I always found it too bass heavy for my tastes.

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #36 of 42
yeah actually the audigy 2 ZS was to bassy with my Z5500.

But remember the headphone has no AMP so a powerfull sound card with lots of bass will be good in my case. I think the Xonar is very clean and excellent for 5.1

But in terms of driving headphones the built in amp just sucks balls. Its a crying shame they could make such a crappy built in headphone amp on a card like a Xonar.

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by john5220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah actually the audigy 2 ZS was to bassy with my Z5500.

But remember the headphone has no AMP so a powerfull sound card with lots of bass will be good in my case. I think the Xonar is very clean and excellent for 5.1

But in terms of driving headphones the built in amp just sucks balls. Its a crying shame they could make such a crappy built in headphone amp on a card like a Xonar.

Are you sure you aren't getting the EQ/tone controls mixed up with the performance of the internal headphone amplifier? In which case you might need to do a bit of research on how these things work before bagging out a product so much...

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #39 of 42
the power connector on my d2x has a pretty tight fit

the first time i installed it i did not plug it in properly. it was loose and i thought that was just the way it was
the sound produced was terrible and very low in volume
i thought it was faulty but i tried replugging it again
second time around i got it in nicely and it was a good tight fit and the sound was excellent.

it is certainly what i would call poor design really....
it looks like they have learnt their lesson as the xonar essence uses the standard 4-pin molex instead of the smaller more finicky floppy power connector.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #40 of 42
After reading the whole thread, I think it's not Xonar DX not good, it's just that Xonar DX is not made to be a headphone AMP.

If you're really looking for a quality gear to drive your headphone, maybe look for the coming Xonar Essence STX or Claro Halo.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #41 of 42
look into this thread again, I saw something interesting: SW EQ and HW EQ.

1. In fact, 99% of pro music software use SW EQ for professional results. So claiming HW EQ is better is really not the point at all.
2. How to tell if X-Fi is using HW EQ? In fact, I even doubt the common myth that X-FI is doing HW DDL, because if you look into the CPU loading, it still raises a lot when doing DDL, just like all other 8788 based cards, and it even takes more CPU to do the task. (Test based on my XFI Fatality and DX)

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #42 of 42
Maybe in Pro software it is different but most of us do not use Pro software to listen to mp3 files and any software equalizer I have ever used in a media player tends to cause distortion. I have a TB Santa Cruz and it has hardware EQ too. Doesn't really matter to me anyway because I disable the equalizer and play my music flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back