Asus Xonar DX vs Asus Xonar DS with OP AMP UPGRADE
Nov 12, 2010 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

raclimja

New Head-Fier

hi forum
ksc75smile.gif

im looking for a cheap sound card and so far these 2 card got my attention

looking at the prices Asus Xonar DX is $80 while the Asus Xonar DS is $60

i read review about the two and so far from what i read the Asus Xonar DX has better sound quality

Asus Xonar DS has a replaceable OP AMP while the Asus Xonar DX is soldered and from what i read replacing OP AMP's improve sound quality, also Asus Xonar DS supports DTS but it doesn't support Dolby Digital

while Asus Xonar DX only supports Dolby Digital

so my question, if i choose the Asus Xonar DS and if i replace the OP AMP will it be a better sound card or should i just stick with Asus Xonar DX?

based on reading threads the OP AMP that got my attention are LM4562NA, LME49710HA, Burr Brown OPA637 and OPA2277PA

ps: i am newbie on audio stuff and i have no tools or experience to do soldering so replacing capacitors, etc is no option for me

also i don't understand how the voltage stuff works so please point out which of the OP AMP will WORK out of the box
smile_phones.gif

the speaker i am using is called Altec Lansing VS3251

i do occasional guitar recording on my computer using my current onboard sound

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 4
from one newbie to another the DX is quite bass heavy I find, you might enjoy the DS + LME49720HA which seems a better bet. YMMV. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 4
I just added a LME48720NA to my Xonar DS, I believe I'm hearing little details that were not there before.
And I've ordered the Xonar DX because I wanted the Dolby (and wanted to do modds on it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back