Asus Xonar DX Mods!
Feb 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #91 of 117
i need correct rates for xonar dx caps ? (uF and V) cant see
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #92 of 117

Nichicon KW decoupling caps, and Black Gate NX hi q coupling caps:what is the rates bro :D ? (uF and V)

Quote:
I finally cleaned up my early hack job of this card.
I have a soic opa2107 mounted. Nichicon KW decoupling caps, and Black Gate NX hi q coupling caps.
Also Nichicon ultra low esr HZ 1200uF caps decoupling the power supplies.

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

**now it fits a standard single slot

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #95 of 117
Please help!

I changed the op-amp and op-amp power caps - tested ok.

Then I added the capacitors at the floppy power connector, and I lost the right channel!  I removed those caps and still no right channel...  swap the old op-amp back and still no sound at right channel!

What should I do now? 
confused_face(1).gif

I got the ADC chips and it sounded great before right channel died tho 
cool.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #96 of 117
It is highly unlikely that screwing up the caps at the floppy power connector would result in the loss of only one channel of audio, as they are just power caps for everything on the card.  It is more likely that you've messed up the coupling caps or something else in the signal path of the left/right opamp. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #97 of 117
But I didn't touch the coupling caps yet... just op-amp, the op-amp power caps, and added main power cap.  What can I do troubleshoot?

Oh and it's not software because I tried to uninstall the driver and reinstall, and did the in-software test where is says "left-channel" then "right-channel".  Also not the speakers because I tried them with my MP3 player and it works.

Thanks for your help!

May 29, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #100 of 117
Am I the only one who found out that this soundcard produces a verry annoying sin wave if you try to play 40KHz sine wave through it? Just run Coolpro or Adobe Audition, set your soundcard to 24 bit 192KHz, start a new audio file in coolpro/audition at 32bit 192khz, generate a sin wave starting from 20KHz and ending up at 90KHz, at -1dB, connect headphones on soundcard output and hit play, and listen.. as the main frequency rises, a byproduct frequency produced by the card lowers in frequency... this cannot be seen in normal music because it doesn't contain a so high frequency component, but it makes me wonder, is it because of the dac? is it because of the output opamp? can someone who replaced the output opamp can confirm improvement? or am i the only one who can get this result? I own a creative xtreme gamer and it doesn't do this, and also a elite pro and it doesn't do this either... Does the Xonar D2 have this problem also? what about the essence? I found out about this when i was trying to measure a mic's frequency response, and i played a sweep from 1Hz to 90KHz that lasted 10 minutes using the xonar dx through sennheiser hd 650 and in front of the senn was a mic connected to a e-mu0404usb on a different computer recording the sound and the inverse frequency generated by the xonar can be both heared and seen in the recording... If anybody confirms, then the asus xonar DX should not be labeled 192KHz soundcard.

May 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #101 of 117
Can anyone owning a xonar dx try this little experiment?
Connect headphones to the line out
Start coolpro or adobe audition
Create a new project using 192KHz sampling rate
Generate a sin wave sweep from 20Hz to 90KHz lasting 2 or 3 minutes
Play the sweep and listen the frequncy going up untill it reaches 18KHz or 19KHz and you can't hear it anymore
And then keep listening... 
After 40KHz or so my card starts to produce distortions that are audible in the headphones and have large amplitude...
This does not happen on any of my other soundcards (e-mu0404, elite-pro, xtreme-gamer)

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #102 of 117
Quote:
Nice little guide there. I think the Xonar is a great card and it's just even greater with a few simple mods.

Here's a little diagram:
xonar.jpg

RED - Front 2 channels
BLU - Surround channels
GRN - Front panel audio I think...

I've replaced the RED and BLU 5532s with LME49722 op-amps and I think it works pretty well.

Added in some 2200uF power supply caps from Nichicon and the bass response is certainly improved.

RED - Front 2 channels
BLU - Surround channels
GRN - Front panel audio I think...

hi, i think you are wrong because i am remove 1 opamp on blue section, but all channels still working ! (back, side, center/sub). i think blue section is for front panel opamps.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #103 of 117
FAO all Asus Xonar DX sound card owners.

Hi Guys hope you can help me. I have a Xonar DX card but the cap at CE 34 fell off!!  and probably caused my MB to short out and take the PSU with it!!

What I need is info on a  replacement cap to repair the sound card on the cheap as it is out of warranty and Asus do not want to help me by supplying the requested info.

As this is a surface mount cap will need one with wiresto allow me to hand solder into place, any advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance

Best Regards John

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #105 of 117
Did the power caps with 1200uf Nichicons and was feeling brave so I tried the coupling caps.  Man those buggers are hard to get off.  I tore off a pad!  The trace leading to the pad lifted though - I scraped it gently, tinned it then soldered the positive leg of the new cap to it.  With a magnifying glass I couldn't even tell for sure if it had made a connection, but I could see a slight disturbance in the tinning on the cap lead.  Turned out to have made contact adequately!  These mods brightened the sound significantly and sharpened the bass response (gave it more control or whatever.  The notes are noticeably more well defined than before.)  Thanks for the project!!

This is the part that went right:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105920392830010622934/posts/Sr5ezVLgGQ7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back