Asus Xonar Dg and Teamspeak
Jan 14, 2013 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ChrisFIsh

New Head-Fier
Hey just recently picked up a Xonar Dg. I do enjoy the dolby headphone in games, however, when it is enabled, teamspeak sucks. I can't explain it other than it sounds like somebody is talking to me at the bottom of an empty well. It gives me a headache sometimes. I was wondering that while dolby headphone is enabled can I leave teamspeak in stereo mode? I don't know maybe this is what I have to become used to, but man it sucks.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 9
I assume that the Asus control panel operates at the drivers level, so the only workaround could be configuring the sound in every app itself with the proper driver support, so, just no, UNLESS the app itself modifies the output by their own software.
And by the way, that Dolby fake crap tunning sucks big time if you have proper headphones, it's not more realistic nor spacious or anything like that, it's more like hype mixed with desire to believe.

Sincerely, an ex-competitive Counter-Strike player.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 9
I assume that the Asus control panel operates at the drivers level, so the only workaround could be configuring the sound in every app itself with the proper driver support, so, just no, UNLESS the app itself modifies the output by their own software.
And by the way, that Dolby fake crap tunning sucks big time if you have proper headphones, it's not more realistic nor spacious or anything like that, it's more like hype mixed with desire to believe.

Sincerely, an ex-competitive Counter-Strike player.

Oh I see. Well thanks for the info. I have HD668b's on their way right now (I went the chepo depot route), and you say that the dolby headphone is crap? So leaving the setting as regular stereo will let me achieve better positional cues? Or am I missing something.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Oh I see. Well thanks for the info. I have HD668b's on their way right now (I went the chepo depot route), and you say that the dolby headphone is crap? So leaving the setting as regular stereo will let me achieve better positional cues? Or am I missing something.

If you play any game with serious positioning audio engine (the best one I heard is in the Codemaster's F1 series) the dolby EFFECTS, because they are that, just make it fancy but not by any means more realistic or useful. If you have a proper 7.1 speaker setup it's another thing...

You need soundstage, imaging, quick transitions and sound positioning, you won't be able to pick for example where exactly the enemy is with any headphone plus the best Creative soundcard and Dolby stuff...

Dolby Headphone is crap? OK, watch this video and then tell me it's crap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdgMQC2rYM

Your best bet is looking at some settings in the teamspeak itself.

It's useless, may the hype be with you.
It's like telling that some car is better than another because of how it looks...

What he wants is enable dolby in game and have TeamSpeak free of those super cool effects that mutate voices (actually everything), so useful and realistic.

Another option should be taking some psychotropics, picking the right one can be night and day immersion difference, but only because the cognitive bias :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

If you play any game with serious positioning audio engine (the best one I heard is in the Codemaster's F1 series) the dolby EFFECTS, because they are that, just make it fancy but not by any means more realistic or useful. If you have a proper 7.1 speaker setup it's another thing...

You need soundstage, imaging, quick transitions and sound positioning, you won't be able to pick for example where exactly the enemy is with any headphone plus the best Creative soundcard and Dolby stuff...

It's like telling that some car is better than another because of how it looks...

What he wants is enable dolby in game and have TeamSpeak free of those super cool effects that mutate voices (actually everything), so useful and realistic.

Another option should be taking some psychotropics, picking the right one can be night and day immersion difference, but only because the cognitive bias :)

I'm not sure you understand exactly what those effects actually do. Especially the technologies that come with a Creative soundcard(I hope that was just poor phrasing and not you saying that Dolby stuff has something to do with Creative soundcards)

To answer the original question, no I don't believe that's possible.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

What? Did you not see the video? I didn't really believe that 5.1 could be emulated on stereo and I was proven wrong. Hell, I could hear the difference on my apple buds. Although I am concerned with your hearing if you cannot hear the difference between dolby surround and normal.

Edit: See 2:20 and 1:37 for dolby headphone on vs off at 7.1 surround. Perhaps you haven't watched enough of the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back