Asus STX II Vs Creative ZXR
Mar 1, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #76 of 337
  Really all I want to do is just upgrade this card as best i can. I guess I should have explained that. I just want the soundcard at it's optimal performance for gaming. I'm sure I could get better headphones and a DAC. I liked the mmx300 for the good beyer design with a beautiful mic. I didn't want to do a separate mic setup either so it works for me. I have tried using a FiiO dac and it didn't seem to except the channel separation of the sound card. It like removed it. It was really weird.

There is limited information about the ZxR however, you can do like me - experiment based on results op-amps delivers on STX II. While it's true, op-amps output different sound on different sound systems, however, you could gain some information about how they sound by finding general impressions of popular opamps in sound quality from forum users. It took me days for me to find something that fits me.

You can find some information over here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread/3165

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #77 of 337

On the STX (& STX II?) and ZxR, each has two dual channel op-amps used in the I/V slots, which are used by the headphone output.
The STX/ZxR also have an op-amp (called the buffer) that's only used for the line-output (the I/V slots are also used for the line-output)
While the STX uses one dual channel op-amp for the buffer slot, the ZxR uses two single channel op-amps for the buffer.

Not sure what op-amps to recommend for the STX II and SB-ZxR.
I had installed AD797BR op-amps in my STX (not the STX II).

Thanks for that explanation. So if all I care about is the sound of my headphones I only need to worry about the I/V slots?

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #78 of 337
  There is limited information about the ZxR however, you can do like me - experiment based on results op-amps delivers on STX II. While it's true, op-amps output different sound on different sound systems, however, you could gain some information about how they sound by finding general impressions of popular opamps in sound quality from forum users. It took me days for me to find something that fits me.

You can find some information over here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread/3165

Thank :)

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #79 of 337
  Thanks for that explanation. So if all I care about is the sound of my headphones I only need to worry about the I/V slots?

Correct.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #80 of 337
Hi guys. I have essence stx ii sound card. I just replaced my 8820 op amp to muses02 in buffer. Everything working finE I mainly use headphones. I did everything like in this review by the guy who recommended to use muses02 in buffer. The other 2 amps I didn't change. I just wanna make sure my op amp is working. I don't know how to test it. Or if it wouldn't work I won't get any sound? If someone know please let me know. Thank you

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #82 of 337
"So Im sticking to the ZXR with AD827SQ in the I\V,  Signetics 5534N in the buffers,smokes everything I've tried so far."
I tried with two AD827SQ and it is better as the original (more bass). But I can't buy Signetics 5534N (I ordered and payed, but not arrived..). :frowning2:
Someone said that with dual mono in dual dip is the best choice.
I'm searching the best too.

May 6, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #83 of 337
I had the Asus STX PCI-E for a while and even though I can confirm that the sound quality is excellent I have to point out two major flaws.
While playing games or even just scrolling web pages I could hear a buzzing sound, this was often drowned out but the audio from the computer games so I learned to ignore it, plus I presumed that it was my motherboard or power supply at fault as surely it couldn't be my £150+ premium sound card? Turns out it was and while playing a game and chatting to my friends they could also hear my computer screeching away. This was the final straw. I replaced the card with a creative ZXR and the problem went away instantly. The asus has poor grounding or is not properly shielded. The card also did not fit very well in my computer and the drivers were not kept up to date.

I am disgusted with this product to be honest. I wasted a lot of money replacing my motherboard as I thought it was to blame and for this I will never buy an Asus sound card again. I might even steer clear of their motherboards.

the creative drivers are solid but perhaps bloated with some unnecessary gimmicks. The sound is a bit bright for my liking however but other than this a much better card.

May 6, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #84 of 337
It is an old problem. In the earlier times the SB sound cards have this problem too. The solution was: put the soundcard to an other PCI-E slot. Now I don't know that this can fix your problem now.
SB ZxR with AD827SQ and Signetics 5534N: it's good!

May 6, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #85 of 337
  I had the Asus STX PCI-E for a while and even though I can confirm that the sound quality is excellent I have to point out two major flaws.
While playing games or even just scrolling web pages I could hear a buzzing sound, this was often drowned out but the audio from the computer games so I learned to ignore it, plus I presumed that it was my motherboard or power supply at fault as surely it couldn't be my £150+ premium sound card? Turns out it was and while playing a game and chatting to my friends they could also hear my computer screeching away. This was the final straw. I replaced the card with a creative ZXR and the problem went away instantly. The asus has poor grounding or is not properly shielded. The card also did not fit very well in my computer and the drivers were not kept up to date.

I am disgusted with this product to be honest. I wasted a lot of money replacing my motherboard as I thought it was to blame and for this I will never buy an Asus sound card again. I might even steer clear of their motherboards.

the creative drivers are solid but perhaps bloated with some unnecessary gimmicks. The sound is a bit bright for my liking however but other than this a much better card.

I happen to use an Asus® CM1630-06 upgraded with both EAH6850 DirectCU® video and XONAR® audio (plus a 750W Antec® PSU to keep everything fed) running Windows® Se7en™ 7.0.8001 (Service Pack 1; MultiProcessor Kernel 6.1.7601).  I traced the screeching problem to Windows 6.n itself - it's tied to OS events.  The problem was first encountered in Vista™; apparently the 6.n audio stack is quite sensitive about audio chips and drivers, as the Asus® AV-100 is not the only audio chip to be hit with the 6 kHz screech.  Auzentech got a few complaints about the screech with both PCI cards based on the C-Media CMI-8788 and PCIe x1 cards based on the Creative Technology CA20K2.  Don't know whether Microsoft has solved the problem in Windows® 10 RC (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.5.10600) yet; the screech appears from time to time in all of Windows Vista® 6.0.600n, Windows 7.0.800n/8.0.10000/8.1.11000, Windows® Server™ 2008 6.1.600n/R2 6.1.760n, and Windows® Server™ 2012 6.2.9200 and 6.3.9800.

It is an old problem. In the earlier times the SB sound cards have this problem too. The solution was: put the soundcard to an other PCI-E slot. Now I don't know that this can fix your problem now.
SB ZxR with AD827SQ and Signetics 5534N: it's good!

My own CM1630 has only two PCIe slots (a basic design issue with the Asus® M4A78LT-M series Micro-ATX system boards); I had to leave both PCI 2.x slots open for cooling air for the EAH6850.

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #89 of 337
hey guys,sorry for not being around.work is killing me lately.
some new discrete opamp from sparkos labs are on their way,will update this thread as soon as they arrive.
http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #90 of 337
New Discrete Opamps arrived!
The Sparkos Labs SS3602
http://sparkoslabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/SS3601_SS3602.pdf
All I can say my dear fellas,is screw all Opamp from TI,Muses,ADI etc
The Sparkos Labs SS3602,Discrete Opamps,are put simply,just amazing.
The sound is very warm,wide and analog,specious without feeling distant Like AD8599 for example,noise and distortion....well there isn't any..:)
Although expensive,they worth every penny.
Sound is well balanced,without favors to any scale,Bass is tidy and clean,vocals are pleasant,Mids are present without being harsh,the highs are the best I've heard lately from any sound system,crystal clear and soft to the ears,without losing ground.
First I tried them in the I\V section in my Asus STX II,with muses02 in the buffers,while they sounded great and punchy,Asus were dumb enough to share the same screw for the bracket and shield,and since those SS3602 are huge,I had to gave up the shield.
So I went back to the creative ZXR,put them in the I\V,combined with LT1028ACN in the buffers,and compared to the STX,sound is just as great and even maybe more specious and more controlled,just amazing job by sparko's labs.
Finally an Opamp that is true to its meaning and claim,A first class audio Opamp,A new champ,the high claimed Muses02 costs almost the same price,and doesn't deliver half the sound quality of the SS3602.

WELL DONE SPARKO'S LABS,WELL DONE!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back